August 04, 2024, 07:21:53 PM

Author Topic: Inquisition DRAFT v1.5 (HA)  (Read 42668 times)

Offline Admiral_d_Artagnan

Re: Inquisition DRAFT v1.5 (HA)
« Reply #135 on: January 25, 2011, 08:38:21 AM »
I have a wild idea. Why don't we postpone the creation of this list until the new codex comes out in april. that way we will have a much better idea of what GW wants to do with the army, and we can make a fleet to represent that.

Not wild. I agree.

Offline Gron

« Reply #136 on: January 25, 2011, 09:33:10 AM »
Fluff and all is nice to follow, but BFG is such a huge scale that it is difficult to really account for every minor benefit they might have compared as individual marines.  Treating them as (or allowing them to "upgrade") to honour guards just like any regular SC can do in the new astartes fleet would be just enough to represent any fluff on this scale.

I do have 6 GK SC (yes I'm a hypocrite), however just fielding one GK SC with a fleet commander (aka Grand Master) with termies is a suitable representation of the current fluff (IMO).

As of now it would seem reasonable to allow the GK to have any/some options from the astartes list until the 40k release in april, and then adjust a final BFG Inquisition based on their new organisation as suggested in previous posts.

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
  • Destiny Infinity Eternity
« Reply #137 on: January 25, 2011, 01:51:21 PM »
Yes, wait.

Offline Zelnik

« Reply #138 on: January 25, 2011, 03:48:42 PM »
Well I suppose that is the consensus.

The Demonhunters and Witchhunters are so OLD in the codex line, it's just best to sit, wait, and watch to see what the new codex has to say. It's only a few months, I think we can last.

The Grey knights can survive that long using the standard space marine rules.

Offline lastspartacus

« Reply #139 on: January 25, 2011, 07:32:43 PM »
Agreed. codexes can contain valuable fluff insight.

Offline Zelnik

« Reply #140 on: January 26, 2011, 01:00:06 AM »
And now we all must look out our windows to be sure that the world has not cracked in half... the entire board agrees on something

Offline flybywire-E2C

• BFG HA
« Reply #141 on: January 26, 2011, 04:33:48 PM »
I agree as well, except that we don’t have until April to get this done. We were supposed to be finished before the New Year so we are already behind.

Much more important to consider is how much the new Codex will actually affect the Grey Knights in BFG, which is far more vast in scope than anything in WH40k. Grey Knights as written in the Inquisition rule-set are already pretty powerful, and it’s hard to add much more to them without turning them into Necrons!

A case in point is the recently-released Dark Eldar Codex. Everyone agrees they needed a reboot, and that’s certainly what they got- they are better in almost every single respect in terms of technology, weapon choices, elites choices, etc. However, for all the improvements, the only thing that would have any affect in BFG terms is possibly the “Power of Pain” rule in regards to boarding actions. Sure all the new stealth tech is nice, but trying to scale that up to BFG terms to make holofields even more potent is simply fanboyism. Now is the Power of Pain worth addressing in the FAQ? Possibly, and we may do so before shipping the FAQ off to GW since we are planning to incorporate small corrections, formatting and line art improvements anyway, but is it really worth it?

The only thing I can think of that would be a game changer in BFG terms is the Grey Knights officially getting battlebarges, which I don’t see being addressed in a WH40k Codex anyway. With all the ways these ships can already be used, I don’t think it’s worth the risk of getting this whole project turned off in the hope that Grey Knights can have battlebarges. If someone wants them so bad, just house-rule it in. Nobody says you can’t.

If you REALLY want to be worried about something, I’d pick the recently-released IA10. For upwards of $75US, this book devotes only six pages to Battlefleet Gothic. If the Taros Campaign is any guide, getting these rules incorporated into the BFG canon is going to be a fun ride. That’s if any new models are even produced- they have been promising a whole collection of new models for BFG since 2004, but we haven’t seen anything since the Tau fleet. Of course I would love to see some new models come out from Forgeworld, but at this point I will be happier when I actually see it.

I’m also worried about how “new” the new rules will be. The Badab War didn’t really introduce anything fantastic in the way of ships besides a war between Space Marine chapters. I’d hate to drop all that coin just to find out they re-hashed rules right out of the rulebook and Armadas. Seeing as how the example page for the Cestus Ram refers to Imperial Shark AB’s in BFG as boarding torpedoes, I’m not holding out a lot of hope. Even if the rules are new and based on past experience, the HA’s will probably take whatever Forgeworld prints in IA10, call it official and be done with it.
Check out the BFG repository page for all the documents we have in work:
http://tinyurl.com/23nul8q
:) Smile, game on and enjoy!           - Nate

Offline Zelnik

« Reply #142 on: January 26, 2011, 04:45:12 PM »
Thanks for the response, Nate!

A LOT of information can come out of a codex, including distribution of forces across the galaxy, fortress monistaries, and yes, battle barges. I am confused, because I fail to see a problem with adding them officially (even as a 0-1 for the fleet) because of a difference of fluff opinion. 

The Dark eldar? they need something akin to a hero ship, something that can be a linchpin for the rest of the fleet and allow it to last a little longer in engagements.

Don't see battlebarges addressed in the codex? Thou mad? In the space marine codex alone it described two ultramarine barges and how they use them. 

And yes.. the Cestus ram really wanted me to punch someone from forgeworld for not paying attention. I have a friend who is getting the book soon, I will get the info on the ships stats ASAP.

I somewhat doubt they will be as problematic to balance, as they function in a style of a known fleet.  They didn't create a whole slew of new ships in this situation

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
« Reply #143 on: January 26, 2011, 07:02:53 PM »
Yes, rather do a DE update. :)

There is no need for a Grey Knight/Inquisition fleet. No need to push this.

I've seen the ship stats in IA10, aside of a few special weapons nothing odd or balance off-setting to BFG.

Offline flybywire-E2C

• BFG HA
« Reply #144 on: January 26, 2011, 07:14:39 PM »
All,

Draft Updates have been uploaded for all four of the last projects the HA’s are working on.

- Battlefleet Bakka DRAFT v1.1
Lots of changes here- too many to list.

- Inquisition DRAFT v1.6
Minor tailoring of points and questions at this stage, slightly improved GK boarding value, improved graphics and formatting.

- Ork Clanz DRAFT v1.3
Fixed and adjusted a number of confusing points, improved graphics and formatting.

- Powers of Chaos DRAFT v3.2
Fixed and clarified a number of confusing points, made some changes to the Powers of Chaos, adjusted some point values, improved graphics and formatting.

Offline flybywire-E2C

• BFG HA
« Reply #145 on: January 26, 2011, 07:22:34 PM »
I suppose the GK's can have an 0-1 BB, but I have to discuss it with the HA's.

Happy Birthday.

PS: The Psychic Cannon is DeadDeadDeadDead...
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 07:24:08 PM by flybywire-E2C »

Offline flybywire-E2C

• BFG HA
« Reply #146 on: January 26, 2011, 07:47:36 PM »
Yes, rather do a DE update. :)

There is no need for a Grey Knight/Inquisition fleet. No need to push this.

I've seen the ship stats in IA10, aside of a few special weapons nothing odd or balance off-setting to BFG.

GW will not be addressing any updates to fleets in Armadas so NOT working on the DE isn't interfering with anything else.

IS there anything still not addressed in the FAQ concerning the DE? Assume we can make adjustments but NOT core rule changes. Answer this question in the DE thread please.

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
« Reply #147 on: January 26, 2011, 08:37:28 PM »
Then the question still stands: what about fleets not in Armada/Rulebook? Rogue Traders got an update. Powers of Chaos in the works. What about AdMech & Craftworld Eldar?

Offline flybywire-E2C

• BFG HA
« Reply #148 on: January 26, 2011, 10:00:19 PM »
Then the question still stands: what about fleets not in Armada/Rulebook? Rogue Traders got an update. Powers of Chaos in the works. What about AdMech & Craftworld Eldar?

Horizon, this is a great question. Here's the problem- AdMech and the CE already have rules posted to the website. Our mandate was to flesh out the materials that never made it to the website, not to replace materials that are already there. The Powers of Chaos is "cheating" in that it was posted in an unfinished form- it was supposed to be part one of four separate articles (each with its own model) before Fanatic got unplugged. That's the only reason the Powers of Chaos revisits the Terminus Est.

I would love to revisit the Craftworld Eldar and Adeptus Mechanicus because I HATE how the currently-posted articles are formatted, and it would give us a chance to fix them without having to rely on FAQ patches. Someone here (can't remember who) created a WAAY SWEET AdMech list that is formatted far better than the one on the website. If someone could post a link to it, that would be great.

Because of how much it revisits that is essentially a duplicate of other IN fleet lists, I probably wouldn't do graphics and profiles of all the ship classes just to keep the file size down, though they would of course be available on its fleet list. I would pobably do one of each hull type, obviously the Omnissiah's Victory, then save the details for the special rules and fleet list.

As for the CE, I would re-do the whole thing if I thought it had a chance of getting posted to the GW site.

Offline Vaaish

• Digital Equinox
« Reply #149 on: January 26, 2011, 10:12:22 PM »
Nate: here's the link to it. Brother Armond was planning on updating it to fix a few things that bugged him, but that was never completed to my knowledge. I do still have the PSD with the various weapons modules and hulls used by the Admech separated so they can be rearranged to make any of the ships.

http://www.twolandscreative.com/wip/docs/BFG%20%5bCodex%5d%20Adeptus%20Mechanicus.pdf
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 10:14:10 PM by Vaaish »
-Vaaish