August 05, 2024, 09:19:22 AM

Author Topic: 2010 torpedo clarification  (Read 12831 times)

Offline Vaaish

• Digital Equinox
Re: 2010 torpedo clarification
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2010, 02:10:29 PM »
Actually you can put a d6 on top of a modeled torpedo, just you need to have the marker designed to accommodate it. I actually like idea of it.
-Vaaish

Offline russ_c

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2010, 09:42:38 PM »
Actually you can put a d6 on top of a modeled torpedo, just you need to have the marker designed to accommodate it. I actually like idea of it.

Yeap.  I'm right there with Vaaish.  It's not hard to design a 20x20mm base that will accomadate a 12mm die with a ring of torps around it.  The actual torp model count is irrelevant of course.  I like this idea.

Russ

Offline Zelnik

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2010, 01:10:38 AM »
I used to be against it, but the fact is, printing out torpedo counters on paper is a RIGHTEOUS pain in the ass, and the nice cardboard ones are rare on the ground.

I have talked to a certain resin mini maker about designing torpedo counters for everyone, so don't worry about that.

The simple truth is... over time, the old torpedo counters will disappear, and if we can make most, if not all, counters in the game run off of the same sized marker, it will streamline and simplify the logistics of the game.

The best way I see it working is one 2x2 torpedo counter for every six strength. (1-6 strength salvo is 1 marker, if it gets bigger, add a second marker directly next to it, each counter should have a dice determining it's strength of 1-6.

Offline silashand

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2010, 03:37:25 AM »
guys, seriously, all this dice on a 2x2 marker is crap. Dice get accidently rolled away, look terrible and are not really that informative.

No, it works great:
* when strength of wave is reduced no need to pick up marker and place a new one. Thus marker stays in same position at all times. Just take the dice and adjust number.
* in all our battles with it (we used it before FAQ2010 at times) dices never have been rolled away.
* it is very informative.

we like it very much!!!

I still do not like it at all. But oh well, nothing at all I can do about it except refuse to use the rule which my group has already decided we will be doing.

Cheers, Gary
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 05:36:19 PM by silashand »

Offline Mazila

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2010, 07:38:19 AM »
Counters can't disappear - download from GW website - glue on 1mm carboard - cut out.

Offline lastspartacus

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2010, 04:08:08 AM »
I'm a big supporter of the 3 strong marker over the 2.  Its a good balance.

Offline flybywire-E2C

• BFG HA
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2010, 08:37:00 PM »
For what it's worth, a resin maker has contacted me about making a 2.5cm (3-torp) -wide marker that accomodates two 5mm dice on it so you can indicate torp strengths from 1 to 12. You can find gazillions of 5mm dice online for next to nothing -go ahead, Google it- and he says he can have the markers made for about $1 each, sold in packs of 10. I don't know if these can be used at GamesDay, but from what I've seen so far, I'll probably be buying at least two packs of the things!

- Nate

Check out the BFG repository page for all the documents we have in work:
http://tinyurl.com/23nul8q
:) Smile, game on and enjoy!           - Nate

Offline Vaaish

• Digital Equinox
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2010, 08:42:22 PM »
Still, is it one marker per s6 torpedo or will it be one marker for any size torpedo salvo?
-Vaaish

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
  • Destiny Infinity Eternity
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2010, 06:55:36 PM »
Hi Vaaish,
per Nate's new idea it is 2d6 per marker... but what above 12?  (Combined waves).

Hi Nate,
bad idea. I am not going to shell out money for torpedo markers/holders. If these become available they should be the size of freely available markers.

Offline Atog

« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2010, 10:43:57 PM »
Please explain me reason to replace standard torpedoes with small marker and counter on it?

I don't  understand why you so easily discarded  such fundamental(and essential)  part of game mechanics  as torpedo salvo's width.

Offline Vaaish

• Digital Equinox
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2010, 10:50:51 PM »
it's partly due to the ludicrous amount of space the torpedo markers take up on the table allowing for odd sniping and clutter on the table and partly to standardize all ordnance markers in size and partly to make it simpler to track salvo size by changing the dice rather than the marker. It's not a bad change when each marker is only up to s6, but if one marker represents a salvo of any size it becomes problematic.
-Vaaish

Offline Zelnik

« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2010, 10:28:22 AM »
I really like the idea of each 2x2 counter equating to 1-6 torpedos. it means that when your salvo strength grows, so does your area denial, which is the way it should be. I confess it's not going to be HEUG like it is now, but it just looks better when your launching TWO tokens from a squad of six cobra's, or just one from all of them together

Offline russ_c

« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2010, 05:42:27 PM »
For what it's worth, a resin maker has contacted me about making a 2.5cm (3-torp) -wide marker that accomodates two 5mm dice on it so you can indicate torp strengths from 1 to 12. You can find gazillions of 5mm dice online for next to nothing -go ahead, Google it- and he says he can have the markers made for about $1 each, sold in packs of 10. I don't know if these can be used at GamesDay, but from what I've seen so far, I'll probably be buying at least two packs of the things!

- Nate

I've already been down this road with ship bases that use 2 5mm dice trays for damage.  5mm dice are to small and awkward to flip on an already small and cramped space.  The goal is to not have to move the torp from the table to flip the dice.  Additionally you really need to ensure you have 2 separate trays per die so once one is set you don't have to mess with it to flip the other die.  I really don't want to see it become 2D6 for this reason, besides needing "special" bases in the first place.  I suggest sticking with a torp rules mechanic that will allow 1D6 and on a 20x20mm base.  A single 12mm or maybe 8mm die is probably fine.

Russ
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 05:46:14 PM by russ_c »

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
  • Destiny Infinity Eternity
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2010, 04:10:27 AM »
Please explain me reason to replace standard torpedoes with small marker and counter on it?

I don't  understand why you so easily discarded  such fundamental(and essential)  part of game mechanics  as torpedo salvo's width.

Because it is just better. :)
Keep in mind 1cm = 1000km in BFG. Now look at the width of a marker and see the amount of space taken.

Offline silashand

« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2010, 08:26:21 AM »
Because it is just better. :)

Funny how only a few people online seem to think so. All the players I know who actually play the game think otherwise :).

Keep in mind 1cm = 1000km in BFG. Now look at the width of a marker and see the amount of space taken.

I really wish people would drop this stupid rationale. If that's the case then how exactly does a blast marker 3000km from a battleship still slow it down? How does a single shot/volley/whatever from a ship generate a blast over 1000km in diameter? This ridiculous distance argument falls on its face right about when you reach this point and stays there. Using it to rationalize this change when the majority of the other rules, and in fact the size of the miniatures themselves would suggest something else entirely. The simple fact is that regardless of fictional distances, the aesthetics of the game are meant to *look* like something maybe out of age of sail engagements, i.e. at relatively close range, broadsides, etc. In that regard the torp markers look far and away better and more appropriate than a single 20mm base with a dice on it, and I won't even go into again how wonky that particular mechanic seems. It is for all of the above reasons that my group have decided to simply ignore this particular "FAQed-up rule."

Cheers, Gary
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 08:30:06 AM by silashand »