August 05, 2024, 11:24:01 PM

Author Topic: Nova Cannon limitations  (Read 80664 times)

Offline flybywire-E2C

• BFG HA
Nova Cannon limitations
« on: November 07, 2010, 04:05:37 AM »
All,

Bob and I have discussed this at length, and both of us have witnessed munchkin gamers fielding fleets of ONLY Nova Cannon ships. My gaming group in Norfolk has a table limit of one NC ship per 500 points, and at home I play no more than two per 750. I have played this for years against many opponents (my primary fleet is Imperials) and have found it very balanced.

Today Bob and I made the circuit of various gaming shops in the Greater Atlanta area (Hobby Lobby, Treefort and Tower Games). This issue came up yet again, and in particular we witnessed a game where a single player fielded a 1500-point fleet with six Nova Cannon! Even with crappy dice rolls, this fleet was crippling a cruiser a turn at maximum range before teh two fleest even closed close enough to engage each other.

We have not yet run this by Ray. However, here's the line-item proposal for the 2010 FAQ:
No more than two Nova Cannon-equipped vessels may be taken for every 750 points or portion thereof in the fleet.

Let the screaming, hate and gnashing of teeth commence...

- Nate
Check out the BFG repository page for all the documents we have in work:
http://tinyurl.com/23nul8q
:) Smile, game on and enjoy!           - Nate

Offline Vaaish

• Digital Equinox
Re: Nova Cannon limitations
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 05:44:36 AM »
Greater Atlanta area? That's only a couple of hours from me. I have no problems with this at all as I never take more than 2 NC in a 1500 point game as I find it boring to go all out but necessary to take more than one to have any decent results*. If it is limited like this, would it be possible to give the NC a slight boost by only making it scatter a max of 2d6?

*note, my opponent usually interprets this as opening round hitting at least once and rolling either a 5 or 6.

-Vaaish

Offline flybywire-E2C

• BFG HA
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 06:18:05 AM »
Greater Atlanta area? That's only a couple of hours from me. I have no problems with this at all as I never take more than 2 NC in a 1500 point game as I find it boring to go all out but necessary to take more than one to have any decent results*. If it is limited like this, would it be possible to give the NC a slight boost by only making it scatter a max of 2d6?

*note, my opponent usually interprets this as opening round hitting at least once and rolling either a 5 or 6.

Hi Vaaish!  :D  The idea is to incorporate a minor change that doesn't involve changing a well-tested core mechanic. If we are going to change teh core mechanic (even a little bit), we would simply change it so that no restriction were required at all instead of making it slightly more powerful to compensate for less being allowed.

Keep in mind the wide scatter has an anti-ship effect in and of itself, which was intentional. I know plenty of examples where a NC round scattered off of one target just to land dead-on another target nearby.

- Nate

Check out the BFG repository page for all the documents we have in work:
http://tinyurl.com/23nul8q
:) Smile, game on and enjoy!           - Nate

Offline Vaaish

• Digital Equinox
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 06:32:27 AM »
well the point in dropping the 3d6 was mainly the random factor involved. 3d6 is pretty predictable in that you have such a low probability of rolling three ones and still hitting or even touching the edge of the template that it basically becomes you either hit and do a bunch of damage or you don't and do nothing. Dropping to to 2d6 means there are better odds of still scattering and putting down a BM and it eliminates the useless 3d6.

While it may happen from time to time, the odds of scattering off one ship and on to another with 3d6 scatter on a random direction are pretty slim unless your opponent packs his entire fleet around the base of one ship. (and in that case deserves whats coming!)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 06:35:45 AM by Vaaish »
-Vaaish

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
  • Destiny Infinity Eternity
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 08:09:41 AM »
1 per 500.

Nova Cannon isn't scary like it used to be. Under guess range it should've been 1 per 2500. HHAHAHA.

I never seen a scatter hit another ship. Not even a base.

What about the AdMech?

Offline lastspartacus

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 03:26:45 PM »
1 per 500 would be great.  I say that simply because its supposed to be a rarer thing, and that my Admech playing friend always feels kind of let down that normal IN can actually field more nova cannons than he can.  At one per 500, or one for every three cruisers, which I like better, it would at least be about equal.

Offline Caine-HoA

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 03:56:56 PM »
I think in small games nova cannons arent the problem, you cant field many anyway, and nova cannons are best when used together.

In my experience novacannons are rather strong in big fights, when 3 shoot at the same targets maybe added with 60cm fire of other weapons.

So im not sure if a point restriction is the best way, even though i have to think about an alternative.

Offline Sigoroth

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2010, 11:59:28 PM »
My biggest problem with this idea is that the Dominator is one of my favourite line cruisers for its WB loadout. Similarly, the Mars is a good CB, since it's a true support carrier (as compared to the line carrier of the Dictator). While the Mars is overpriced, so is the Dictator really.

If there were a torp variant Dom then such a restriction would be fine. On the other hand, I'm also fine with having no restriction and playing against an all NC fleet. Hell, I played against all NC fleets when they were overpowered "guess" weapons.
  :-\

Offline lastspartacus

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2010, 03:26:11 AM »
I agree with your points, but I think those problems should be dealt with directly, with the other cruisers.

Offline RCgothic

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2010, 07:28:11 AM »
The only Nova Cannons I tend to have are on my Dominators. I can definitely see how they can be lethal at long range, but at short range without torps IN ships are really going to suffer. Surely it's down to the player without the Nova Cannon to close as quicly as possible?

Offline commander

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2010, 09:18:26 AM »
No, no NC limitations. Unless, as proposed, the IN gets a torp version of the Dominator. Otherwise this rule makes the best gunship (not even counting its NC) almost unavailable to the IN.

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2010, 09:21:53 AM »
I agree with Vaaish, the 3d6 band (introduced in 1.5 without consult ;) ) makes NC pretty daft at long range unless a hit is rolled.

In the FAQ1.5 the maximum scatter was 2D6. Good enough for me.

Nova Cannon should be Lock On affected. :)

Offline lastspartacus

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2010, 06:18:20 PM »
I do believe you have gone mad  :)

Offline Caine-HoA

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2010, 06:19:47 PM »
Lockon is too much for NC ;-)

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2010, 06:54:06 PM »
No way. With 3d6 scatter and a limit at 1 per 750.... it should have something good.