August 05, 2024, 09:09:05 PM

Author Topic: So What's your Tournament Fleet?  (Read 18741 times)

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
  • Destiny Infinity Eternity
Re: So What's your Tournament Fleet?
« Reply #60 on: October 25, 2010, 07:44:11 PM »
Hi LS,
could you explain how you play it...

Since boarding torps:
come in base contact
turrets fire
remaining boarding torps roll vs armour
torps which passed armour make a new dice roll on the critical hit chart.

Offline Sigoroth

« Reply #61 on: October 26, 2010, 05:00:30 AM »
Assuming 5+ armor, you are looking at a low average of 8 HnR criticals against a 5 turret battleship.
Meaning you can take a massive points investment out of the game in one low-damage salvo, potentially.
Pretty cool alternative.

You mean 8 H&R attacks total from the 8 a-boats and str 8 boarding torpedo salvo? Let's see, after turrets it's 5.5 (a-boats) + 2.67 for the torps making 8.17 H&R attacks. Yep, not too bad. Prolly get a hit out of that many too. Still, I myself would probably forgo the 2.67 H&R attacks from the torps and go for 2.67 hits instead (with the 5.5 H&R from the a-boats). Particularly as this might convince the opponent to shoot at torps instead. This would dropping the torps average hits to 1.83 but would allow all 8 a-boats to make their attacks (so you lose 0.17 H&R attacks and pick up 1.83 hits with attendant 0.31 full crits). If he shoots at a-boats instead then you lose 2.67 H&R attacks and gain 2.67 damage with attendant 0.44 full crits. I think I'd rather either of those two than the first option. Boarding torps aren't all that good. Unless you're counting on them being able to turn of course.

Offline lastspartacus

« Reply #62 on: October 26, 2010, 08:08:31 PM »
What Sig said, Horizon. 

Good point with the normal torps,  sometimes I do find it very useful, especially on battleships, to completely take them out of the fight with the crit table, which can be quicker than damage.  The boarding torp crits just compound the odds of getting everything offline.  Space marines ensure no failures, Horizon.

Offline Zelnik

« Reply #63 on: October 29, 2010, 09:22:03 PM »
Am I the only person who thinks throwing around mathhammer around really ruins the point of the game? Do it because it's a fun or cool idea.. smashing the enemy is the most satisfying when your 'brilliant' idea works for the first time :D

Offline Vaaish

• Digital Equinox
« Reply #64 on: October 29, 2010, 09:31:02 PM »
I think mathammer has uses, but it's very easy to take it too far and put everything under the scope of probable hits to crunch out just how much more of a fraction of a hit can be eeked out. That said, this thread IS discussing tournament fleets where such calculations tend to hold more sway.
-Vaaish

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
  • Destiny Infinity Eternity
« Reply #65 on: October 29, 2010, 09:49:10 PM »
True. Though I would still take fluff fleets to tournaments? Why? Because it gives me better dice. I believe so and that's what is important. heh

Plus the best selection of ships is good start but you still need to use them correctly. Or innovative!

I mean, for Chaos this is a maxed fleet:

Desolator
2x Acheron
2x Carnage
2x Devestation

yet I would never take anything else then my background driven renegade fleet:
Desolator
Styx
2x Carnage
Slaughter
6x Infidel
3x Iconoclast

But, for the merrits of this thread I would like to see allround fleets which can take on a lot of other fleets. Like the Chaos fleet I mentioned. :)

Theory is fun. Gaming also, but very different.