August 05, 2024, 01:20:17 PM

Author Topic: If you could make an Imperial ship legal, which one(s) would it be?  (Read 171104 times)

Offline RCgothic

Re: If you could make an Imperial ship legal, which one(s) would it be?
« Reply #75 on: October 18, 2010, 08:31:22 PM »
While I like the idea of a Lance Carrier (and in particular having one more variant that frees up a WB deck), it would be even more useless as a stand alone cruiser than the gothic and dictator, utterly dependent on being in a fleet situation. I'd try a Battlecruiser variant instead:

Io Class Battlecruiser 260pts

Hits - 8              Speed - 20cm   Turns - 45°
Armour - 6+/5+  Shields - 2       Turrets - 3

Armament     Speed/Range  Strength     Arc
Prow Torps        30cm            6             F
P+S L. Bays     as craft           4            -
P+S Lances       45cm             2           L+R
Dorsal WB         60cm             6           F/L/R

Offline Zelnik

« Reply #76 on: October 18, 2010, 09:54:05 PM »
sorry buddy, someone already used the name Io.. try again :D

Offline RCgothic

« Reply #77 on: October 18, 2010, 10:11:02 PM »
Oh well.  :D

Offline Zhukov

« Reply #78 on: October 18, 2010, 11:15:02 PM »
The Defiant is poor. Even with 6+ prow.

Yeah, so Endeavour is 120, deduct 15 for the prow and it is 105. So 120 is good with 6+ prow.

Agree on the point thing. Makes sense.

As for the Defiant, a pair of those has 4 Lances that shoot 30cm L/F/R. How is that a bad thing?

-Zhukov
I am Zukov's Klaw.

"Oh mah gawd its like a giant veil was just lifted off my face and the beautiful maiden before my eyes just turned into a hideous Ork with a giant, bloody choppa."

Offline Admiral_d_Artagnan

« Reply #79 on: October 18, 2010, 11:20:30 PM »
Because for 2 Dauntless' I can have Str 6 lances even though only forward firing for cheaper.

Offline Zhukov

« Reply #80 on: October 18, 2010, 11:27:42 PM »

Well yeah, but lose two lances, gain 4 bombers? Um......... still not seeing how that's a waste of points...

-Zhukov
I am Zukov's Klaw.

"Oh mah gawd its like a giant veil was just lifted off my face and the beautiful maiden before my eyes just turned into a hideous Ork with a giant, bloody choppa."

Offline Admiral_d_Artagnan

« Reply #81 on: October 18, 2010, 11:35:37 PM »
You were focusing on the lances. In the case of AC, I would counter that FP8 WBs per broadside are a much better deal esp when the Defiants are forced to BFI.

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
  • Destiny Infinity Eternity
« Reply #82 on: October 19, 2010, 08:05:01 AM »
As for the Defiant, a pair of those has 4 Lances that shoot 30cm L/F/R. How is that a bad thing?

-Zhukov
You really do not want Defiants to be that close to the enemy. They are easy to surpress carriers.

Offline Zhukov

« Reply #83 on: October 19, 2010, 03:24:46 PM »
They are easy to surpress carriers.

True. But so are most of the carriers in this game honestly. Its a support weapon, much like the Styx is in a Chaos fleet (minus the clear differences, I see them playing about the same). At least that's how I always viewed it.

-Zhukov
I am Zukov's Klaw.

Offline Vaaish

• Digital Equinox
« Reply #84 on: October 19, 2010, 03:29:42 PM »
Support weapons want to stay back, but the defiant has short range and so must be close which puts it in position to be surpressed easily. This only changes if you squadron with a larger cruiser for protection, but does nothing to change the oddities of having a support ship tied to a line ship. Even then I would only think that putting it with a dictator would have any use.
-Vaaish

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
  • Destiny Infinity Eternity
« Reply #85 on: October 19, 2010, 08:01:45 PM »
Styx has 60cm weapons, Devestation has 60cm weapon.
Mars has a Nova Cannon.
Dictator is unique (torps+attack craft) do head on along Gothics/Lunars/Dominators.

Offline Zhukov

« Reply #86 on: October 20, 2010, 05:08:29 PM »

Support weapons want to stay back, but the defiant has short range and so must be close which puts it in position to be surpressed easily. This only changes if you squadron with a larger cruiser for protection, but does nothing to change the oddities of having a support ship tied to a line ship. Even then I would only think that putting it with a dictator would have any use.

Imperial fleet is mostly short range, so as far as supporting the line cruisers it will do fine. And having a support ship tied to a line ship is an oddity? I'm not following that at all... Putting it with a Dictator would be darn useful, especially with the 6+ prow added.

Styx has 60cm weapons, Devestation has 60cm weapon.
Mars has a Nova Cannon.
Dictator is unique (torps+attack craft) do head on along Gothics/Lunars/Dominators.

With the 6+ Prow it can still move in with the rest of the fleet. Hiding two Defiants behind one or two line cruisers is not a bad tactic IMO.

Then again, why are we arguing this? You can't buy the Endeavor models anymore, unless you decide on the terribly overpriced Ad Mech model...

-Zhukov
I am Zukov's Klaw.

Offline Vaaish

• Digital Equinox
« Reply #87 on: October 20, 2010, 06:05:13 PM »
And having a support ship tied to a line ship is an oddity? I'm not following that at all
Line ships: Lunar, Gothic, Tyrant, etc.
Support ship: Mars, Dictator (special case)

It would be odd to squadron the defiant to a lunar or gothic since the LB make it an odd composition. It would fit better squadroned with a mars or dictator since the armament is a better match. Without the 6+ prow it really needs to be squadroned to do anything useful since the larger cruiser can protect the weaker CL. Unlike a line cruiser, the defiant is much easier force BFI which hurts it even more since keeps it from reloading ordnance. Because of that you want to keep the things out of the line of fire, but paying 280 points for 4 LB isn't the best use of your points. That leaves squadroning the defiant. Put it with a mars and the lances and torpedoes don't so much. Put it with a lunar or gothic and things are a little better but you don't really have much option with the 2 LB making an endurance or endeavour a better choice. That leaves the dictator but even there it's a bit doubtful if there aren't better ways to spend the points.
-Vaaish

Offline RCgothic

« Reply #88 on: October 20, 2010, 07:51:09 PM »
Another problem the defiant has is that 6 WB P/SB are equivalent to 4 Launch Bays, yet it trades those for just 2, making it under-armed in comparison to the Endeavour and Endurance, as well as being more expensive and eclectically armed.

Obviously it can't have 4LBs, so that leaves doing something sensible with the remaining armament. Perhaps +15cm on the lances, or 2 torps in addition.

Offline Zhukov

« Reply #89 on: October 21, 2010, 04:48:47 PM »
And having a support ship tied to a line ship is an oddity? I'm not following that at all
Line ships: Lunar, Gothic, Tyrant, etc.
Support ship: Mars, Dictator (special case)

It would be odd to squadron the defiant to a lunar or gothic since the LB make it an odd composition. It would fit better squadroned with a mars or dictator since the armament is a better match. Without the 6+ prow it really needs to be squadroned to do anything useful since the larger cruiser can protect the weaker CL. Unlike a line cruiser, the defiant is much easier force BFI which hurts it even more since keeps it from reloading ordnance. Because of that you want to keep the things out of the line of fire, but paying 280 points for 4 LB isn't the best use of your points. That leaves squadroning the defiant. Put it with a mars and the lances and torpedoes don't so much. Put it with a lunar or gothic and things are a little better but you don't really have much option with the 2 LB making an endurance or endeavour a better choice. That leaves the dictator but even there it's a bit doubtful if there aren't better ways to spend the points.

Ah now I see where your going with that. You should have said 'squadroning' not 'tied too'. I was thinking you were just talking about having the CL follow the CA around all day, lol.

Agreed with what you say. The biggest thing with the CL's is they count as a cruiser toward getting larger ships. So in this aspect they can be a very useful 280 pts.

Obviously it can't have 4LBs, so that leaves doing something sensible with the remaining armament. Perhaps +15cm on the lances, or 2 torps in addition.

Interesting thought.

-Zhukov
I am Zukov's Klaw.