August 05, 2024, 11:20:10 PM

Author Topic: If you could make a Chaos ship legal, which one(s) would it be?  (Read 127457 times)

Offline flybywire-E2C

• BFG HA
Re: If you could make a Chaos ship legal, which one(s) would it be?
« Reply #315 on: December 05, 2010, 06:48:41 AM »
Hi Masque!  :) Thanks for the input!!

On page 17 it says the new cruisers can be used in "the Chaos fleet list."  I'd specifically mention the 12th and 13th Black Crusade lists.

Sounds reasonable. Done.

On page 20 under Using Chaos Space Hulks it says "it counts as a battleship against a Chaos fleet list" and "there is no minimum point requirement or ship prerequisites".  Which is it?

Both. It counts as a battleship for purposes of taking ANOTHER battleship, but you can have one without taking any cruisers first. For example, you can START building your fleet by taking a Space Hulk. However, if you want to add a battleship to your fleet, you need SIX cruisers first: three for the Space Hulk, then three for a “second” battleship.

Does the Tzeentch Warmaster intentionally give a max leadership of 10 while the others only give 9?

Yes.

The four power specific fleet lists have many poorly written sections.  By a strict reading the number of grand cruisers you can have is based solely off the number of cruisers and heavy cruisers from the 13th BC list but no grand cruisers are actually in these new lists and thus can only be taken as reserves.  There is also no limit to the number of heavy cruisers taken unless they are from the 13th BC list.  As such a fleet entirely of Hecates is possible.  There is no need to limit the number of cruisers from the 13th BC list to 12 when the total number of cruisers cannot exceed 12.

If you actually look at p.46 of Armada, which is the reference used in the fleet list, all of  these ships are indeed listed, including restrictions specifically preventing a fleet of only Hecates. To think otherwise is a bit deep in the weeds but I guess we can clarify it. Good catch- wow.

Except for the Tzeentch list allowing max leadership of 10 and having a single warp beast upgrade I see no reason for these fleet lists to exist.  You can't do anything with them you can't do with the 13th BC list with the new ships added.  By choosing these lists you limit which marks you can take, how many daemonships you can take, and prevent yourself from using the Planet Killer (except as a reserve).  Previously the Nurgle list allowed the Terminus Est which could only be taken in the 13th BC list through reserves.  But now that you are allowed to take all the VBBs in any Chaos list what is the point?

A Plaguefleet document was already put together so we wanted to keep the theme going so that tailored fleets were easy to prepare and keep in theme. For example, Khorne as a rule is against magic so having a fleet full of Khorne demonships would technically be legal but not very themeful, so we made it difficult to do according to the Khorne fleet list.

The Nurgle list is a verbatim cut and paste of the Fanatic Plaguefleet list so I don’t know how it was changed. I will look into it. The other lists are copies of the first, except for details applying specific flavor. If you are saying the new fleet lists are MORE restrictive than the former lists with no added value, I guess we can look into that. The idea was to incentivize using the themed fleet lists, but based on your comments, we haven’t done that to a significant enough extent.

Finally, no, all of the VBB’s CANNOT be taken in any single Chaos fleet. In fact, except for the Conqueror, no more than one Chaos VBB can be used at a time because they must all be flagships of the fleet unless the Planet Killer is present. Only the Conqueror can be used in a fleet with another Chaos VBB, and even then not with the Wage of Sin.

On the other hand, the generic Chaos BB (Vengeful Spirit) can be used in any fleet (even multiple copies if desired),  but that was intentional.

I would suggest making all the VBBs except the generic one only available in the god specific lists (except with reserves).  I'd also consider making some kind of special thing for each fleet.  The warp beasts are a good start.  Finally, I would actually list which cruisers, heavy cruisers, and grand cruisers are allowed in each fleet.  I would not simply give them access to all of them.  This could be used to help add flavor to the fleets by making them take ships that fit their theme.  I would probably also put any new cruisers and heavy cruisers that make the cut in the god specific fleet lists and not simply add them to the 12th and 13th BC lists.  They could still be taken as reserves in all the other lists that way.

That actually seems like a pretty good idea. We didn’t want to tailor it down so specifically that we pick and choose which cruisers get used because that would involve more playtesting than anyone has time for, but the rest of this is brilliant.

As for the new cruisers...

The Hecate seems fine.

OMG a compliment!! <faints>

The Cerberus is obviously making nobody happy.  I'd suggest something like this.  Take a standard Slaughter.  Remove one lance from each side.  Put the two lances on top (keeping the 30cm range).  You end up with far more focusable firepower in front, a little more on a single broadside, and a little less on the offside.  The new ship can keep pace with other Slaughters and will do a bit more damage on the way in but doesn't have more total firepower than the basic Slaughter.  Charge 190 points and call it good.

This was becoming too much of a headache, and in the end the Chaos fleet doesn’t need it so we got rid of it. It’s gone.

The Inferno presents a serious design problem with the limitations that no Chaos carrier may cost less than 190 points and no Chaos cruiser may cost more than 190 points (the cost of the cheapest heavy cruiser).  Since it has to cost the same as the Devastation it needs to fill a significantly different role.  I would suggest up-gunning it and dropping all it's ranges down to 30cm, maybe 45cm on the prow.

I have another alternative in mind but I'd like a little more info on what would and wouldn't be allowed for a new ship.  Is the 190 point minimum for any carrier or only carriers with at least 4 launch bays?  Can a new cruiser require some conversion work if it only requires a single cruiser hull?

A new ship has to be built right out of the 2x plastic cruiser box using nothing but glue. If it can’t be made that way, we can’t make it official.

Because the Inferno was becoming another elephant consuming more time than it was worth, we killed this off as well. We decided to replace this with the Emasculator from Planet Killer Magazine in 2001. To me the ship is meh, but it’s well-balanced and has stood up to a decade of playtesting.

-   Nate

Check out the BFG repository page for all the documents we have in work:
http://tinyurl.com/23nul8q
:) Smile, game on and enjoy!           - Nate

Offline Zelnik

« Reply #316 on: December 05, 2010, 11:29:07 AM »
Can I suggest that the tzeench fleet have a 2 for 1 rule in regards to grand cruisers?

Offline lastspartacus

« Reply #317 on: December 05, 2010, 01:21:51 PM »
Disappointing.  Loved the idea of a Slaughter HC.  -1 broadside lance and dorsals would have been perfect, with 30cm.
Would anyone not enjoy that?

Offline Zelnik

« Reply #318 on: December 05, 2010, 02:54:32 PM »
Can't say I would.. Its just not necessary in a fleet who already has a fist full of knives.

Offline lastspartacus

« Reply #319 on: December 05, 2010, 03:17:29 PM »
Maybe not necessary, but thats not the intended purpose.  Variety, ya know.  Filling gaps is taboo, of course.

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
  • Destiny Infinity Eternity
« Reply #320 on: December 06, 2010, 04:18:52 AM »
Hi Nate,

we should keep in mind the following: Armada is no longer being sold. So in this case we are looking at online pdf's not being printed on paper. I imagine it won't be hard to change/convince/sway them. You just need to make a juicy story that our changes to those pdf's on the GW site will make for more sales.

Offline Admiral_d_Artagnan

« Reply #321 on: December 06, 2010, 04:28:33 AM »
Hecate and Cerebrus have been rebalanced correctly.

Inferno is still undercosted. A ship with all 60 cm armament and same LB str as a Devastation (which is already touted as undercosted) and still costs the same as the Devastation? Right.

The Chaos Character BBs:

Overcosted: Vengeful Spirit, City of Light, Conqueror.

Undercosted: Wages of Sin.

Terminus Est is the one costed virtually correcly.

Offline flybywire-E2C

• BFG HA
« Reply #322 on: December 06, 2010, 04:54:43 AM »
Hi everyone! Okay, we made some tweaks to the Powers of Chaos rules for DRAFT version 2.2 . Please review, comment and complain. It's still a work in progress so I expect to still be chipping on this one for awhile.

The "flavored" fleet lists have been made distinct in that pure, unmixed fleets now enjoy additional patronage from their gods.

The Inferno and Cerberus are gone. In their place we put in the Emasculator, which is pretty meh but well-balanced and has been around forever so I don't expect lots of grief. Of course, you never know with this crowd.   :)

These are DRAFTS so make your comments and complaints known if something is really broken. It can be seen here:

- Nate

Check out the BFG repository page for all the documents we have in work:
:) Smile, game on and enjoy!           - Nate

Offline lastspartacus

« Reply #323 on: December 06, 2010, 06:32:48 AM »
Question about the Hulk, that I just noticed.

The entry says the Hulk can control double its bays in AC, but doesn't count towards the total of the fleet.

What the hell does that mean?  How can it be one and not the other? 

Offline RCgothic

« Reply #324 on: December 06, 2010, 10:56:07 AM »
Does that mean it can launch twice and have both sets of AC in the void at once, but other ships in the fleet can't use its more-than normal capacity if it doesn't?

Offline Sigoroth

« Reply #325 on: December 06, 2010, 03:24:30 PM »
Not a single one of those BBs have stats matching the model. All garbage.

The Hecate is garbage. Emasculator is a crap name.

Offline lastspartacus

« Reply #326 on: December 06, 2010, 05:23:42 PM »
@RC
I dunno, but it would be alot easier just to say it counts for twice its launch capacity.

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
  • Destiny Infinity Eternity
« Reply #327 on: December 06, 2010, 07:44:54 PM »
Not a single one of those BBs have stats matching the model. All garbage.

The Hecate is garbage. Emasculator is a crap name.

Aside of the name, the Emasculator, a thing between variant Murder & Carnage is something I don't mind. It isn't broken or so.

On wyswyg of the battleships:

City of Light: The lance deck should be replaced by a weapon battery deck.
Terminus Est: Dorsal lance turret should be added (Nurgle skewed wb power on broadsides).
Wage of Sin: Fine
Vengeful Spirit: 2wb decks is at least str10 according normal Chaos values.
Conqueror: Per rulebook and everyone except Sigoroth the broadsides are correct.

Offline fracas

• WarMancer
« Reply #328 on: December 06, 2010, 07:59:57 PM »
emasculator is an odd name

call it the Massacre" instead
i might consider taking one or two for grins

not sure why i would want to take the Hecate other than something different
devastation is better as a bay4 carrier
styx has 6 bays
acheron has lances

not sure that prow lances would be enough to take the Hecate, given the number of lance ships chaos already has

Offline Vaaish

• Digital Equinox
« Reply #329 on: December 06, 2010, 08:19:20 PM »
Why not Havoc or Cerberus since those two are listed as famous ships.
-Vaaish