October 28, 2024, 03:20:04 PM

Author Topic: [WM] PW's Warmaster projects...  (Read 10082 times)

Offline azrael71

• Warmasterplaytest team
Re: [WM] PW's Warmaster projects...
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2010, 09:40:10 PM »
Very nice work as always.

Offline pw

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2010, 11:14:06 PM »
It's been a while since I've finished anything WM related. The good news is that I've just finished my latest project, the Realm of Battle table which is just about Warmastery enough, I think, to share. Here it is with a small Empire detachment about to deal most righteously with a daemon prince:

For those of you who haven't tried the Realm of Battle, I'd rate it pretty highly for Warmaster. The hills are useful in a way that perhaps isn't true when it's used for Warhammer and I think it looks very natty. The downside is the clips (which aren't attached in this picture). They're a horrible faff to use and I expect I'll modify the supporting table to avoid having to use them. The table is also just a little bit wobbly to use without a full-size supporting table underneath which is a shame. Oh, and the skull pits. You might just be able to see that I've filled them in with rubble, I didn't want my Warmaster troops to panic when they realised that they were battling over some horrific giant's graveyard...

Now I really need to make a river that matches and to buy myself some 10mm buildings, oh and tidy up the games room which is now covered in static grass. Before I do that I'm going to try to give the empire some reinforcements in the form of the Flagellants who've been patiently awaiting their finishing touches for so many months that it's almost years!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 11:17:12 PM by pw »

Offline jchaos79

• Veteran member
    • Loc: Vigo, Galicia, Spain
    • Fortunes of war
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2010, 12:13:32 AM »
Cool!! I think the battle table is one of the most important issues of the hobby. You have a really profesional table

Offline azrael71

• Warmasterplaytest team
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2010, 07:54:54 AM »
Very Nice.
I was toying with getting one of these, you may now have convinced me :)

Offline Carrington

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2010, 04:23:09 PM »
I've got a bunch of pictures of a Hexon set up; I'll post them soon.  Overall, I'm quite happy with it, though I'll need to make/buy some less dramatic hills.

The Realm of Battle set up is awfully nice though. 

Offline azrael71

• Warmasterplaytest team
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2010, 05:09:10 PM »
@carrington
A full inventory would be cool along with a total expenditure.
I also have toyed with this system a lot, but I need it to be easily and quickly moved, is this the case?
My wife is very understanding, but having this semi permanently setup will undoubtedly cause friction  ::)

Offline pw

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2010, 11:05:03 PM »
If you're looking for something that packs away nicely then the Realm of Battle is pretty neat, the bag it lives in would be easy enough to hide and setting it up/taking it down is easy enough. The downside is that you'd probably want something underneath it to give more support (I've got three boards that screw together to make a 6x4 table).

Offline Carrington

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2010, 01:05:01 AM »
@carrington
A full inventory would be cool along with a total expenditure.
I also have toyed with this system a lot, but I need it to be easily and quickly moved, is this the case?
My wife is very understanding, but having this semi permanently setup will undoubtedly cause friction  ::)

Edited to avoid a thread-jack: more in another topic, but suffice it that it's a little harder to set up than the Realm of Battle, but not terrible -- the set up you see was an 'away game' with about a 30 minute set up, 30 minute take down.

We don't have a spare table at home, otherwise I'd be happy to set up the Hexon there for a day's game.

I was very tempted by the Realm of Battle set-up... and used it to calibrate my buy-it now price for a nearly equivalent coverage of Geo-Hex.  

« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 01:12:10 AM by Carrington »

Offline Haranin

« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2010, 04:34:11 PM »
The realm of battle table does look nice, but expensive, and time consuming to finish right.

Think I am going to wait a year for job prospects to change, and perhaps a move. Small house right now- literally no room for a gaming table or extra boxes of terrain.

Offline pw

« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2010, 03:11:39 PM »
To my surprise I've got a newly-painted figure to show, this chap is my second Empire wizard, painted in white and blue (he's a 'light wizard'). As I'm sure you all know, this is the mounted wizard that comes with the War Altar (at least I think he's a wizard, perhaps he's meant to be a priest but he does the job). The grass is a little unruly and will get a trim when the glue dries but here he is for now:

Coming soon, it's my '1000 points in 24 hours challenge'. When I unveil the mission details you'll find that it's not quite as dramatic or unlikely as it might sound...

Offline jchaos79

• Veteran member
    • Fortunes of war
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2010, 09:10:23 PM »
Did you mean: paint 1000 points from bare metal to full color, in 24 hours?

mmmh you are going to need a lot of coffee and .... without joking: beware of your back, paint in a right postion in the chair or you could harm yourself (just my friendly advice),

:) I should see this

Offline azrael71

• Warmasterplaytest team
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2010, 09:13:34 PM »
1000 points in 24 hours  ??? Pah, I could do it in me sleep lad  ;D

Loving the themed wizards, I did all 8 colleges for my empire force a few years ago.
The plan is that once I have my 2 on going armies, an araby army and hopefully a mystery one along with all the odds and sods I have in the store I will redo my earlier armies.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 09:19:06 PM by azrael71 »

Offline pw

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2010, 09:52:54 PM »
I did warn you that this wasn't going to live up to expectations! Here's what I'm planning:

I'm going to give myself 24 hours to paint 1000 points of Warmaster Tomb Kings from preparing the miniatures to getting the grass on the bases. BUT, these hours won't be consecutive beyond the fact that I won't paint anything other than Tomb Kings for the next 24 hours I can find to paint in. I'd imagine that this means that I'll be painting for a couple of hours most nights a week and that this challenge (challenging for me!) will take between two and three weeks. Anyone who has paid any attention to my painting posts will realise that this is going to have to be lightning fast painting for me as I'm possibly the slowest painter around. I'm aiming to post here after each painting session whatever its length.

For tonight, the list:

Tomb King 130
2 Liche Priests 180
5 Skeletons 150
2 Bowmen 70
3 Chariots 330
Bone Giant 125
Carrion 65

A few points over but I fancy painting the Bone Giant...

Here goes...

Day 0: Time spent: 0 hrs

Just a pile of unpainted toys (actually it's worse than that, I've got two units to strip). The bag of chariots looks like a nightmare...

« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 10:14:47 PM by pw »

Offline azrael71

• Warmasterplaytest team
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2010, 10:13:54 PM »
Even one base a month is commendable :)
Every little helps.

Offline jchaos79

• Veteran member
    • Fortunes of war
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2010, 11:40:16 PM »
we will follow your self challenge!! good luck and beat yourself :)