August 05, 2024, 01:24:11 PM

Author Topic: Tau Kor'or'vesh Commerce Protection Fleet draft rules for BFG  (Read 174267 times)

Offline Sigoroth

Re: Tau Kor'or'vesh Commerce Protection Fleet draft rules for BFG
« Reply #135 on: October 10, 2010, 05:46:42 AM »
Sigoroth brought forward an argument too valid to ignore.

I do this all the time. It's just that everybody tends to think that they can just go ahead and ignore it anyway ...  ::)

Offline Vaaish

• Digital Equinox
« Reply #136 on: October 10, 2010, 05:58:51 AM »
This interests me greatly. I have previously not been all that excited about the tau fleet outside of the look of the nice FW models because they were so ordnance heavy that it really felt kind of boring. I will be curious as to how this unfolds.
-Vaaish

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
  • Destiny Infinity Eternity
« Reply #137 on: October 10, 2010, 06:45:45 AM »
Well... <restrained> and all.

:)

I think those phone calls Nate and Bob had were really good ones.

I'll be looking forward to when the new list is online.

* Walks away, to let the 'restrainment' go away. *

;)

Thanks Nate, for listening and all.

Offline lastspartacus

« Reply #138 on: October 10, 2010, 06:51:02 AM »
The flavor of tau is that it is a carrier fleet, I always thought.  I look forward to seeing how this turns out, and if it manages to keep the unique feel of tau from other fleets

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
« Reply #139 on: October 10, 2010, 06:57:48 AM »
LS,
there will be no changes to the Armada Tau fleet, that will remain to be a carrier fleet.
The FW fleet will finally become the gunnery fleet is intended to be. It'll still be Tau. Tau ground forces are also a shooty force with mobile assets. It'll still be Tau through missiles and attack craft.

Offline lastspartacus

« Reply #140 on: October 10, 2010, 07:06:47 AM »
Right, I just always liked the idea that tau had advantages, but were new to space.  And all the ancient tech the imperials had still overmatched an advanced alien race, was kind of nice to think about.  Its commonly understood that space fleets dont operate like they do on the ground, always, right?  Look at necrons and space marines, its night and day.  Just my two cents.  Definitly don't have any experience beyond fluff enjoyment.

Offline KivArn

« Reply #141 on: October 10, 2010, 07:51:38 AM »
I'm really looking forward to how this turns out :D

Offline fracas

• WarMancer
« Reply #142 on: October 10, 2010, 11:37:15 AM »
I would scratch build the caravan without using any free dhow attached

Offline flybywire-E2C

• BFG HA
« Reply #143 on: October 10, 2010, 01:30:36 PM »
Sleep is for squares!

After marathon BFG on the brain, I uploaded three files to the BFG repository
Link: http://tinyurl.com/23nul8q*

Space Marines v3.2
Only difference here form v3.1 is the updated Fortress Monastery, minor spelling and other errors, etc.

Rogue Traders v1.7
Only difference here from  v1.6 is expanded Rogue Trader cruiser choices, minor spelling and other errors, etc.

Tau Commerce Protection Fleet v2.0
This one's a biggie. No big changes, but a whole bunch of small changes and adjustments all over the place like Easter eggs.

I'll let the fans digest this for a few days. As for me, I'm going to bed.   

- Nate

Check out the BFG repository page for all the documents we have in work:
http://tinyurl.com/23nul8q
:) Smile, game on and enjoy!           - Nate

Offline KivArn

« Reply #144 on: October 10, 2010, 02:38:44 PM »
Custodian : I'm liking the look of the custodian weapons layout though i still think (as it's the most advanced ship) it should benefit from the prow deflector ;), seems like it might be a little under priced too.

Protector : YAY!!! 90* turns. Is this meant to be on both ships or just the first? (I assume just the first else the seconds weapons load out is waaaaay off ^ ^ )

Emissary : Again, are they all meant to be 20cm/90* slightly puzzled there,  :)

Castellan, Warden : All good :)

Fleet selection : Almost all good here, the custodian limitations is still slightly ambiguous otherwise this seems fine :)

Overall This is a vast improvement :D nice work, now go sleep :P

Offline Caine-HoA

« Reply #145 on: October 10, 2010, 04:17:06 PM »
I like the new file overall.

Finally there are 90° on low hp ships and/or faster versions with 25cm.

As far as i see it not all Capital ships have Tracking Systems now, but the Custodian provides it for others like the Messenger.

For the Emissary versions i would rather switch the first and the last 90° wise. It would be nice to have a Gravitc launcher version with 90° to have it with Castellans.

With the reduced costs of 110 i maybe would risk using Emessaries even without a second shield (what i wanted to have ;-) Still the are very fragile targets, you still have to use them out of a distance i guess.

Nevertheless i think this could work already, of corse playtests would be nice to verify the balance.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 04:19:23 PM by Caine-HoA »

Offline Vaaish

• Digital Equinox
« Reply #146 on: October 10, 2010, 04:47:23 PM »
I like the custodian and the default emissary, but there are a couple of configurations that stuck out as odd to me.

Protector VIOR‟LA: The firepower on this one is very close to the Custodian and it can be taken without restriction for the same cost as an IN tyrant. I would think that it should cost a bit more to get that kind of firepower on a 90 degree turn platform with 3 turrets or it should have the second profile as default with the ranges adjusted. Right now this just feels too good.

Emissary IL‟PORRUI SA‟CEA: I think that, according to your post earlier, the emissary shouldn't have access to ion cannons at all.
-Vaaish

Offline Caine-HoA

« Reply #147 on: October 10, 2010, 05:00:33 PM »
On the 90° Protector you have a lot of Front only weapons plus still a mix of weaponry (reload or lock on? or bad luck with the many necessarry LD checks in the fleet?). So closing it may be impressive but as soon as you pass the two even sides of an imp ship have their advantages as well. Yes with 90° it can turn towards to the other ship but still has to move the 10cm of a cruiser first so you wont be able to shoot all the time with the lances.

Offline lastspartacus

« Reply #148 on: October 10, 2010, 05:16:52 PM »
Simply fluff question.  What 'even more ancient race than themelves' do the Demiurg cultivate a relationship with that has the pull to stop a whole WAAAGH?

Edit:  It occured to me, as a Warden is an Orca replica, why the price hike?  Especially since gravitic hooks are needed to bring them in on a parent vessel.

And so the Protector doesnt have 3 prow hardpoints on a 6 hull ship, why not move the launch bay to dorsal?
Also keeps it from being completely boned by losing 3 systems and prow armor on a prow critical.

Would anyone care to see the emissary gain more variety on the protector more than gaining another 3 on the prow weapons  and losing 1 torp?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 05:57:09 PM by lastspartacus »

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
« Reply #149 on: October 10, 2010, 08:58:59 PM »
Hi,
first LS, ancient race: necrontyr or Eldar... make your pick ;)

Custodian: approved; labelling it as a Grand Cruiser at the expense of 2 missiles would make it excellent :)

Warden: @LS, the Warden has swivel ion cannon, orca swivel battery. Is worth something. Warden also pays for looking cool. :) approved.

Protector Lar'shi'vre vior'la: YES! Moving launch bays to the abstract dorsal (they are keel) is an idea.
(eg even Distant Darkness has no 45cm Ion Cannon on the Protector).

Protector Lar'shi'vre tol'ku: ? Make it 90*, all railguns fixed forward and missiles to str4.

Emissary Il'porui, give'em all 90*. all firepower fixed forward. Drop missiles to 3. Out of principle I would always take the 90* variant if the others don't change. ;)

Castellan, approved. Perhaps a 5cm boost?

Orbital City/Orbital: approved (under the current defences overall seen),

Fleet list: Yes.

Overall: iron out the variant options for Protectors and Emissaries with 90* turn rates and consider it done.

Same as for Marines, make official with above changes and a revision in two years.