August 05, 2024, 03:20:44 PM

Author Topic: Tau Kor'or'vesh Commerce Protection Fleet draft rules for BFG  (Read 174273 times)

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
  • Destiny Infinity Eternity
Re: Tau Kor'or'vesh Commerce Protection Fleet draft rules for BFG
« Reply #480 on: December 06, 2010, 04:23:15 AM »
Character Custodian: the secret Stealth Custodian!!

Also: if you read the unofficial art of command supplement to project distant darkness you wil notice

spoiler

that Farsight received a kor'or'vesh based fleet. :)

Anything else I missed?

Ah yeah, through Tracking Systems we'll see that overlapping from FAQ2010 is again a very bad idea. :)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 04:26:08 AM by horizon »

Offline lastspartacus

« Reply #481 on: December 06, 2010, 04:34:18 AM »
Hmmm a Character Farsight Flagship...a Custodian with +2 boarding value and can launch assault boats? :D

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
« Reply #482 on: December 06, 2010, 04:48:16 AM »
No, Farsight first had a merchant equipped as a heavy warship (unofficial AoC) and now he zips around in a

spoiler

Stealth Emissary (different profile).

Offline lastspartacus

« Reply #483 on: December 06, 2010, 04:56:03 AM »
Your humor eludes me :)

Farsight would probably be in an Explorer, not a Custodian Id guess.  Beyond this thread, but Ill certainly keep that in mind :)

Hmmm, it was an open invitation.  What would make a good character Custodian...or would I rather see a character Protector...or Emissary...hmm.

Offline fracas

• WarMancer
« Reply #484 on: December 06, 2010, 02:22:19 PM »
Farsight would use shielded-up explorers and merchants.
His ships would use full boarding values rather than halved

Offline flybywire-E2C

• BFG HA
« Reply #485 on: December 09, 2010, 05:42:08 AM »
Farsight would use shielded-up explorers and merchants.
His ships would use full boarding values rather than halved

The Farsight Enclaves are regressed and have little support from the Tau Empire. In fact, judging from the new Tau Codex, they are considered cut off entirely. While I can see them getting Kor'or'vesh defectors, they wouldn't be many, and I doubt they have the resources to be refitting their vessels the way you describe. On the other hand, the boarding modifier makes perfect sense.

I can see this as being a cool scenario-based theme, but Commander O'Shovah as leader of a single renegade fleet and strapped for resources in my mind doesn't constitute something that needs to be adddressed in BFG terms. I know you weren't asking for such treatment, I'm just saying.

- Nate
Check out the BFG repository page for all the documents we have in work:
http://tinyurl.com/23nul8q
:) Smile, game on and enjoy!           - Nate

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
« Reply #486 on: December 09, 2010, 07:08:46 AM »
It would be a cool warp rift article. :)

Also, Nate, custodian for grand cruiser?

Offline fracas

• WarMancer
« Reply #487 on: December 09, 2010, 10:55:34 AM »
Nate

Farsight fleet may have been specifically refitted for his expedition. As he lost ships he could salvage shield generators for his remaining ships. The point though was that his fleet is based on older ships.
Just fluff talk not for rules addition. :)

Offline Plaxor

• Tyrant of BFG:Revised
    • BFG files
« Reply #488 on: December 09, 2010, 11:13:42 AM »
Well one thing everyone is forgetting is that the farsight fluff takes place in the mid 700's of M41, where most other fluff takes place in late M41.

At this point in time it's shortly after the damocles gulf crusade, and heros have just been developed. So chances are they would be exceptionally rare in his list.

Farsight is one of those people that we're wondering what happened to, even though 200 years have kinda gone by. 40k isn't linear in time however, and fluff can be developed as though it were the present for multiple points in history.

Offline lastspartacus

« Reply #489 on: December 09, 2010, 12:25:50 PM »
Ya, especially since, isn't old for a Tau like 40?  I see a ragtag and desperate fleet of cool hardened veterans.  Assault boats (What do we call them besides orcas? damn you GW!) and full boarding values.  I know its very small compared to the Tau Empire, Nate, but aren't the Enclaves a collection of systems?  It would be a fleet of at least some notable size, methinks, though with limited repair and construction ability.

And ya, still wondering about the other stuff.  Custodian as is is poop if it wants to use its forward guns.  POOP I SAY!
And you ain't got the fluff to back it, sonny, no you don't! :P

And ya know, Protectors too expensive.  Outgunned by similarly costed and more durable chaos cruisers, and Imperial ships could just ram the little bastards.

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
« Reply #490 on: December 09, 2010, 01:03:03 PM »
And ya, still wondering about the other stuff. Custodian as is is poop if it wants to use its forward guns. POOP I SAY!
And you ain't got the fluff to back it, sonny, no you don't!

And ya know, Protectors too expensive. Outgunned by similarly costed and more durable chaos cruisers, and Imperial ships could just ram the little bastards.
Don Gusto will start hitting you with a brick if you continue your trending.

I just disagree on the Protector. It is balanced. Must be: if person x says it is overpowered and person y underpowered, the average is balance. HA!

The Custodian is ok, but would be more inline with CG status.

Offline Zelnik

« Reply #491 on: December 09, 2010, 05:42:09 PM »
Guys, the A-boats will be mantas'.  It just means they use the troop transports instead of the missile bombers that the rest of the Tau use in fleet engagements.

The only problem is, each manta carries an INSANE number of troops, and probably would warrant special rules.

How about this.

Manta Transports: Instead of acting as bombers, these gigantic troop transports are filled with stealth, crisis and fire warrior teams trained specifically for boarding enemy vessels. When a squadron of these attack craft attack a target, roll a d6 for each strength, on a 2+ it initiates a boarding action (to be resolved in the end phase).  Every Manta transport in the squadron counts as having a boarding value of 2.  If a 1 is rolled, the crew of the defending ship manages to storm the manta and kill the crew, permanently making the parent ship lose one launch capacity (think Dark Eldar impaler).  Do not halve the launch capacity for the transports for being Tau.  
Manta Transports are Resilient.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 05:57:01 PM by Zelnik »

Offline Vaaish

• Digital Equinox
« Reply #492 on: December 09, 2010, 06:08:18 PM »
Crisis suits are too large for boarding actions they won't fit into corridors. Second, look at the FW tau manta. It only holds 48 firewarriors but I guess you could do standing room only and pack them in in place of the hammerheads. Either way there isn't an easy exit to the manta since it requires the craft to either land, or maneuver backwards into the target and then figure out some way of sealing the void off while they bore in unlike the dedicated AB other races have.
-Vaaish

Offline Zelnik

« Reply #493 on: December 09, 2010, 06:29:19 PM »
It only holds 48 warriors IF you carry tanks. If not, the number grows much larger.

Considering how BIG the interiors of a lot of these ships are, I don't see how crisis suits are not effective, but even still, stealth teams would wreak havoc.

Offline commander

« Reply #494 on: December 09, 2010, 06:57:04 PM »
IF they can get to the inside, that is.