August 05, 2024, 09:14:23 PM

Author Topic: Tau Kor'or'vesh Commerce Protection Fleet draft rules for BFG  (Read 174330 times)

Offline lastspartacus

Re: Tau Kor'or'vesh Commerce Protection Fleet draft rules for BFG
« Reply #285 on: November 08, 2010, 07:44:20 PM »
So you would lower your overall hitting power and firearc for the chance to reach out an extra 15cm with your lances?
I have always especially found the 45cm band to be situational in the flow of movement.

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
  • Destiny Infinity Eternity
« Reply #286 on: November 08, 2010, 07:50:26 PM »
True, you need to plan ahead to make full use. But the Tau fleet best engagement range is 40cm. Flow of the moment. First wave of gunnery needs to make an impact.

Offline lastspartacus

« Reply #287 on: November 09, 2010, 07:17:01 PM »
Not a fan :3  But if its actually been playtested and deemed well worth the firepower sacrifice, well, so be it.  :)

I had a thought while at work for the Custodian, a lightning bolt really, that could be better than having it lose battleship status.
I was looking at the fleet, and I realized two things they shared.  Ships built horizontal along the axis, and 90 degree turns.
Now, this is something that makes the Kororvatra unique, standard level speeds but tight manouverability.  The fleet changes direction rapidly like a school of fish in the ocean.  One can logically say it is due to the layout of the ship design, simple science would dictate that turning thrusters would be much more efficient running out perpendicular to the ship's forward thrust.  So, give the Custodian a 90* turn.  It is curently the only military vessel in the kororvatra without it, and the fleet synergy would be a cool and flavorful thing.

Edited a bit.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 02:14:42 AM by lastspartacus »

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
« Reply #288 on: November 09, 2010, 07:20:15 PM »
..... even..... Ly'tan.....never ..... dared..... too ..... build.... that.....

If you get it official thumbs up...

Offline lastspartacus

« Reply #289 on: November 09, 2010, 09:44:46 PM »
Don't know if that means you approve or strongly disagree horizon :)

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
« Reply #290 on: November 09, 2010, 10:11:58 PM »
Sometimes the small words tell the most....

Offline lastspartacus

« Reply #291 on: November 10, 2010, 02:16:18 AM »
With barely greater arc-based hitting power than the Protector, and having to travel further to turn in the first place, I would like to see a good argument as to why not, or how it would overpower the ship :)

Offline Vaaish

• Digital Equinox
« Reply #292 on: November 10, 2010, 03:32:58 AM »
Ok, even as a grand cruiser there is no precedent for giving a ship that large 90' turns much less a BB as it is now so HOW are you even justifying that?
-Vaaish

Offline lastspartacus

« Reply #293 on: November 10, 2010, 03:55:09 AM »
Magic.

Joking.  But there is no need for a precedent.  The Tau ships are built for tight turns.  The greater mass of the Custodian means it just has to slide further before being able to move in the new direction.

Offline Sigoroth

« Reply #294 on: November 10, 2010, 09:09:33 AM »
Weeeell, I'm not opposed in principle, and I can see the argument for it, but trying to get any extra manoeuvrability out of the HA is like pulling teeth! We can't even seem to keep the 90° on the Voss CLs. I think it would be much easier to try to aim for the CG status. However, if they come out of left field and agree to this then I'd be fine with it.

Offline lastspartacus

« Reply #295 on: November 10, 2010, 12:23:07 PM »
Lets not gve up hope on the Voss now :)

Sure, going to GC status is an improvement, but keeping it at battleship and adding 90 turns has many benefits. (I know you dont disagree just stating.)

1.  As mentioned, its got barely more firepower than a Protector, with much more difficulty maintaining a frontal fire arc.
2.  It makes perfect fluff sense and gives the fleet character as a rapid redeploy fleet, very tau-like.
3.  Helps it keep up with the fleet in a way that gives the kororvesh a unique trait.
4.  Having it as a battleship follows with the Tau principle of 'smaller mass for like ship roles' aka 2 less hits.

Offline lastspartacus

« Reply #296 on: November 11, 2010, 12:26:29 PM »
Some more thoughts while we wait on HA comments.

In playtesting, how have the Protectors stacked against, say, Lunar cruisers.  Its 5 points more, and I don't see how it wins its engagements.
One thing I vote on, because a cruiser with 90* still has difficulty getting that front arc after the pass, is to take 4 of the Protector's frontal batteries and move 2 to each l/f f/r battery.  It currently has pitifully weak broadsides, the emissary's are stronger.
Thats all I can think of right now, just want some play knowledge.

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
« Reply #297 on: November 11, 2010, 01:13:27 PM »
I tested (weaker, more restricted firearcs) Protectors against a plenthora of opponents and holds it own very good. It can die, it can win. So balanced.

The broadsides need to be weak otherwise the ship would be overpowered. The old FW Protector only had 2 weapon batteries to shoot port/starboad. And it held its own pretty good!

I dunno what Nate'up to with the RG strength I still would do 4/2/2.

It is balanced. Thrust me. Having more will gunnery, be, ehm... balanced as well.

Offline lastspartacus

« Reply #298 on: November 12, 2010, 12:36:57 AM »
Oh I believe you, no thrusting required  ;D

I'm surprised it can equal a Lunar, really.  But I'll trust those who have playtested it.  With ships in the mail, I just care so much ;)

Offline lastspartacus

« Reply #299 on: November 13, 2010, 12:23:16 AM »
Also, this may have been discussed before, but, 1 fighter bay competing with 3 tau torpedoes on the emissary?  Is this like the Protector variant and I just cant see the awesome here as well? ;)