August 05, 2024, 09:09:58 PM

Author Topic: BFG FAQ 2010 Ordnance Questions  (Read 150168 times)

Offline flybywire-E2C

• BFG HA
Re: BFG FAQ 2010 Ordnance Questions
« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2010, 08:27:17 PM »

I second that, but I only worry is where do we send players that DON’T have 2.5cm bases to get some? What do they use in the meantime? I’m NOT saying I don’t like the idea because I do and call it good. I just want to make sure we are thinking about all the players.

Incidentally, 2.5cm is the width of a str-3 marker (I just measured it out of curiosity). With a D6 indicating the actual strength, this works out good because every BFG player out there should have easy access to str-3 torp markers!
Check out the BFG repository page for all the documents we have in work:
http://tinyurl.com/23nul8q
:) Smile, game on and enjoy!           - Nate

Offline flybywire-E2C

• BFG HA
« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2010, 08:28:48 PM »

Incidentally, 2.5cm is the width of a str-3 marker (I just measured it out of curiosity). With a D6 indicating the actual strength, this works out good because every BFG player out there should have easy access to str-3 torp markers!

That was an observation by the way, not a ruling. The HA's have not had a chance yet to discuss it. Call it a "thinking out loud" moment.  :)
Check out the BFG repository page for all the documents we have in work:
http://tinyurl.com/23nul8q
:) Smile, game on and enjoy!           - Nate

Offline fracas

• WarMancer
« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2010, 02:07:30 AM »
Hi Guys,

The 2cm Torp bases work. So do 2.5cm bases (when I tested them). 2cm seems more attractive as it matches AC but how would you feel about the slightly bigger bases?

My orginal intention was to have 2cm base represent each full 6 torps and the remainder. So a str 8 salvo would have 2 bases side by side.

The 2.5cm base actually has enough room on top to fit 2 D6 (or even 4D6!!!). So if only one marker/base is going to be used for every size salvo I vote for the 2.5cm base!

Cheers,

RayB HA

I second that, but I only worry is where do we send players that DON’T have 2.5cm bases to get some? What do they use in the meantime? I’m NOT saying I don’t like the idea because I do and call it good. I just want to make sure we are thinking about all the players.

but if you want to ensure availability why not use the base that comes with the blister? the epic base that is. for attack crafts use number of models per base to represent the strength (though there is only slots for 5). bases line up deep rather than wide.

Offline RayB HA

« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2010, 04:10:52 AM »
Fracas,

Epic bases are too wide. Cut them to fit!  :D

2.5cm bases are an easy order from GW. Or you could just cut them out or cardboard!

Cheers,

RayB HA
+++++++++++

When I joined the Corp we didn't have any fancy smancy tanks! We had sticks! Two sticks and a rock for an entire platoon, and we had to share the rock!

Offline silashand

« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2010, 02:04:49 AM »
but if you want to ensure availability why not use the base that comes with the blister? the epic base that is. for attack crafts use number of models per base to represent the strength (though there is only slots for 5). bases line up deep rather than wide.

All this for a perceived problem that in what, 10 years now I have not once experienced. Oh well, I guess  :(.

However, I second what Fracas said. If you're absolutely intent on changing the rules to suit your liking, at least use the bases that actually come with the ordnance figs. I have no desire whatsoever to have to rebase all my fighters/bombers/etc. for all my fleets and frankly if it comes down to it I won't. JMO...

Besides, the whole D6 thing is just wonky if you ask me. So I have to move dice around indicating wave strength now? Sorry, but that just seems like too much trouble, not to mention it is asking for them to get mixed up with a wayward dice roll or two. The existing markers would seem to be *SO* much easier to use and keep track of, but that's just me.

Cheers, Gary
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 02:33:26 AM by silashand »

Offline Don Gusto

« Reply #50 on: September 14, 2010, 02:01:46 PM »
When launched from a refitted carrier, are orbital mines affected by the launch limit on attack craft?

Offline lastspartacus

« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2010, 09:23:39 PM »
This may have been asked before, but why not use teh same rules for waves as we do for attack craft, with str indicated by a number, and not multiple markers on the table?

As for torps, when turning a at launch but keeping it in the front arc, do you turn it by simply turning it on its axis up to 44 degrees, or turn it by placing the marker in btb with the ship and not crossing the arc line?

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
  • Destiny Infinity Eternity
« Reply #52 on: October 04, 2010, 04:04:35 AM »
No turning in turn of launch for torps.

Offline lastspartacus

« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2010, 04:40:09 AM »
If you launch torps at a ship of which the torps at start are in his side arc, but, say, the route of the torps when it grazes the side of the enemy ship's base it touches in the front arc, what armor is used?
Just clarifying, I think I know.

I have the following suggestions for torps and attack craft:

use the 2.5cm marker for torps, I do greatly agree.

For AC waves, only one marker per type used, with dice to count strength, all touching each other and the parent ship's base at release.

Also, potentially, on first turn ordnance is launched, you measure range from parent ship's base rather than tip of marker.  Helps curb alpha strike ordnance just the tiniest bit, and makes sense.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 12:19:42 AM by lastspartacus »

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
  • Destiny Infinity Eternity
« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2010, 04:42:51 AM »
We need be clear here.

Torpedoes can be put anywhere in the front arc facing any direction in the front arc. And only in the front arc, thus not partially in a side arc. Then torpedoes go in a straight line.

When you mentioned turn I read that as special torps which turn or missiles from Tau. These can make a 45 degree turn after the turn they are launched it.

I hope that seals it. ;)

Offline lastspartacus

« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2010, 05:14:19 AM »
So, i could have sideways firing torps, so long as they are within the front lines of the bearing compass and are touching the ship, even end up firing slightly backwards?

Edit:  If ordnance, a salvo/wave moves through a BM, does it test on a d6 for the whole salvo/wave, or one d6 per strength now?

Also, I would just like to say I always wished fighters rolled a d6 against torps instead of being able to shoot down a whol salvo auto, no matter how big.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 05:55:21 AM by lastspartacus »

Offline russ_c

« Reply #56 on: October 04, 2010, 07:50:12 AM »
So, i could have sideways firing torps, so long as they are within the front lines of the bearing compass and are touching the ship, even end up firing slightly backwards?

No, regular torps must begin and completely end there placement anywhere in the front arc when they are fired.  They are moved 30cm in a straight line always and continue to travel in this manor until they are destroyed, exhausted, or have gone off the board.  So you can fire a torp marker at a 45 degree angle from the stem along an edge of the front arc, but the marker must never cross that arc boundary.  Thus, they can never be fired "sideways" such that they end in the port or starboard arc and they certainly can Never end up "backwards"!

Russ
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 07:55:38 AM by russ_c »

Offline lastspartacus

« Reply #57 on: October 13, 2010, 09:38:45 AM »
Seems my old post got lost, ahem:

2.5cm torps, all the way.  If its going to be a standard size, make it the 3 marker.

For attack craft, why cant we do the same, with a wave consisting of one marker each for the type used, with strength marked for each, and all must touch ship base.  I also propose you measure from ship base on first turn ordnance are released.

Edit:  This may have been addressed, but to clarify my reading:  When torps begin phase in side arc of a ship, but graze the front arc as they move by, as they hit the front of the base, what armor do you roll with?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 09:40:32 AM by lastspartacus »

Offline Admiral_d_Artagnan

« Reply #58 on: October 13, 2010, 09:44:17 AM »
Should be the front arc then.

Offline Sigoroth

« Reply #59 on: October 15, 2010, 01:17:46 PM »
Well it was stated earlier that "grazing" torps to the side of a ship to attack the weaker side armour instead of the stronger front armour is against the spirit of the game. In which case I would say that any accidental grazes should also count as hitting the arc that the majority of their travel was in.

Regarding resilient attack craft. I would recommend ditching all those rules and replacing them with: Resilient attack craft may only make one save per turn. If failed they are removed as normal, if passed they count as non-resilient for the remainder of the turn. As it stands there is almost no benefit to a fighter being resilient. A bomber or a-boat being resilient has slight advantage, as they may still get to attack their target (or a target) in the same turn, and if they don't then they at least remain close to the enemy and as such a threat that needs to be dealt with. With a resilient fighter on the other hand, you can completely ignore it for the rest of the turn. And what bonus do they get for having stuck around next turn? Well they don't need to be relaunched, assuming you were still going to launch fighters. Well, big deal. This is a pathetically small bonus, and it's all resilient fighters get.

Let's face it, the only reason the rules neutralising them after first contact were made in the first place was because of the old ordnance rules where there was no AC limit tied to number of launch bays. At that time passing a save would be beneficial even if neutralised for the rest of the turn because that means you have more ordnance for next turn.