August 05, 2024, 09:15:44 PM

Author Topic: BFG FAQ 2010 Ordnance Questions  (Read 150179 times)

Offline Vaaish

• Digital Equinox
Re: BFG FAQ 2010 Ordnance Questions
« Reply #285 on: December 15, 2010, 05:37:06 PM »
Zelnik, it doesn't really affect the value of boxed sets or cause you to make new counters. The FAQ specifies them as being the size of a s3 marker which means you just have to clip all those s6 markers from the box set and those you've printed in half to match the new standard size.
-Vaaish

Offline fracas

• WarMancer
« Reply #286 on: December 15, 2010, 06:10:27 PM »
I am fine with using a 20mm square base as torpedo markers, with a die to represent the strength
What I would prefer is that each ship launches it's own marker and thus a squadron of 3 combining launch would use three bases, one for each ship of the squadron

Offline RCgothic

« Reply #287 on: December 15, 2010, 08:45:17 PM »
I am fine with using a 20mm square base as torpedo markers, with a die to represent the strength
What I would prefer is that each ship launches it's own marker and thus a squadron of 3 combining launch would use three bases, one for each ship of the squadron

+1.  1 Marker per S6 or part thereof of each ship firing.

If a Retribution and a pair of Dauntlesses could hypothetically combine torps, it would be 4 markers:

S6(Dauntless)
S6(Dauntless)
S6(Retribution)
S3(Retribution)

No stupid dice stacks like at present. Simply remove torp casualties from the weakest marker until it is dead, then carry over on the next weakest.

Offline Plaxor

• Tyrant of BFG:Revised
    • BFG files
« Reply #288 on: December 21, 2010, 08:37:08 AM »
So there is some confusion I'm having on fighta bommaz acting as just fighters.

So each fighta-bomber will do (D3-T)+1 Each right? Well it says that a fighta bomber can act as just a fighter and give another marker +1 to it's attack runs. This seems pointless, as it would already give itself +1 if it survived. Shouldn't this be in addition to it's own attack, so instead it would donate 2 attacks?

So I guess what I'm asking is does it work like this:

2 FBs attack a Murder class cruiser, one decided to act solely as a Fighter; the Bomber then gets (D3-2)+2 attack runs.

Or like this:
2 FBs attack a Murder class cruiser, one decided to act solely as a Fighter; the Bomber then gets (D3-2)+3 attack runs?

Sorry this section is very confusing. Also from what I understand turret supression works differently than normal for FBs, who will simply always add 1 attack run to themselves regardless of turrets? Or does there need to be one turret in existence?

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
  • Destiny Infinity Eternity
« Reply #289 on: December 21, 2010, 12:53:02 PM »
The examples for fighter bombers make it clear.

If you decide on is a fighter then it does not roll d3-3 but adds + 1 even if destroyed.
If not as fighter then it is D3-3 plus +1 if it survives.

So vs low turrets (2,1) better to use fighter bomber only. Against high turrets adviced to make some fighters.

Offline lastspartacus

« Reply #290 on: December 21, 2010, 02:14:37 PM »
So what was the final ruling for fighter bombers?  What was the one we like better?

That reminds me of the Tau, of course.  Something that has been bothering me about Mantas.
If they could lose their resilient status, that would go a long way to making the Korvattra just about perfect as a fleet, along with -2 ions on the Hero and buffs to the Merchant.
Then there is no need to limit or increase cost of the Explorer.

My reasoning is thus:  The supposed reason for the manta being Resilient is its size and sophistication.  I see this as flawed reasoning.
A Fury interceptor is around 70 meters long, and the Starhawk bomber is larger still, small ships in their own right.
Then, one marker represents not just one, but a squadron of these vessels, 3-5 seeming to be the average, depending on class.  These ships are as large as the Manta.

My point is, the Manta should be considered to be flying in squadrons as the other ships just to be counted as a full marker, much less resilient.
But lets say a lot more resources go into the Manta, much more than the usual bomber.  Then we could say that it by itself has the power of a squadron.  Thats a stretch, but it certainly is more of a stretch to suggest that one Manta is more resilient than a squadron of its counterparts.

Offline Zelnik

« Reply #291 on: December 22, 2010, 06:10:03 AM »
good lord someone talk to flybywire and have him do something about the torpedo rules!!!

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
« Reply #292 on: December 22, 2010, 06:46:37 AM »
I did I did.

ps it is also the work of Patriarch & Raysokuk.

Offline Plaxor

• BFG files
« Reply #293 on: December 22, 2010, 07:46:03 AM »
Well that's the thing, you wanted a consistently sized torpedo marker, and that is what you get. Still the argument happens with bigger torp markers and the fact that every torp get's a bigger 'vision' area because there are more torps?

I really do think that they should've gone with a marker size 4-5 to try to hurt the IN less, as they are the only ones really affected by it. Or well I guess douchey nightshade lists would be better.....

Offline Zelnik

« Reply #294 on: December 23, 2010, 10:34:16 PM »
Hey folks, just had a game the other day using the current torpedo rules.

They are not as.. bad... as i thought they were, since the most torpedo's i launched in a single token was 12. (two d6's side by side behind the counter)

I am pushing for a revision of the rules, but a little less firmly, there were a lot of moments where the counters were not needed (directly shooting into the enemy vessel, next round fly into oblivion). However, I stress that 1-6 really is the better deal.

Plaxor, the imperial navy really does not need a huge advantage in this case, they have gotten plenty of glitter in the FAQ, and there is nothing special about their torpedo's.

Offline Plaxor

• BFG files
« Reply #295 on: December 23, 2010, 10:36:36 PM »
Plaxor, the imperial navy really does not need a huge advantage in this case, they have gotten plenty of glitter in the FAQ, and there is nothing special about their torpedo's.

Truest.

Offline lastspartacus

« Reply #296 on: December 23, 2010, 11:24:36 PM »
If the torps dont have a possibility of hitting anything else in the next turn, I almost always just draw a line and not bother with markers.
Same with AC.

Offline fracas

• WarMancer
« Reply #297 on: December 23, 2010, 11:41:13 PM »
Agree:
1-6 per marker
Combine launches from squadron uses 1+ marker per ship

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
« Reply #298 on: December 26, 2010, 10:03:23 AM »
We also remove markers, even full strength ones if they passed something and they will never hit anything in the game for the coming xillion turns.

Offline lastspartacus

« Reply #299 on: December 26, 2010, 05:36:19 PM »
If it must change, which I dont believe it should, I'd vote 12 per.  You can fit 2d6 on it easy.