September 11, 2024, 11:39:11 AM

Author Topic: BFG FAQ 2010 Ordnance Questions  (Read 151551 times)

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
  • Destiny Infinity Eternity
Re: BFG FAQ 2010 Ordnance Questions
« Reply #255 on: November 18, 2010, 07:13:04 PM »
No, has been ruled (somewherel, ah yeah Armada itself iirc) that they may only turn after the first ordnance phase they been fired.

Offline Sigoroth

« Reply #256 on: November 18, 2010, 10:01:25 PM »
My question has not been resolved, do you put down a second marker side by side for the next six torps?

What is your question? Is it whether the salvo counts as 1 marker for things like fighter interception, etc, even when there're 2 physical markers? If so, then yes, it counts as 1 marker. If you're asking for a clarification of whether you place an extra marker (therefore double the width) or just an extra dice, I don't know, since I haven't read the new rule.

Offline Zelnik

« Reply #257 on: November 19, 2010, 04:52:03 AM »
If you would read back to the last post..

When you have a salvo of torpedos greater then 6, (through combined squadron salvo's or battleship launches), do you still use just one token with two dice, or two tokens with one dice for each. Effectively making each token worth up to strength 6.

Offline Sigoroth

« Reply #258 on: November 19, 2010, 10:05:05 PM »
I saw what you wrote, but the reason you ask is still unclear. Are you just asking to know if larger salvoes will be wider or to determine if larger salvoes will require more fighters to knock down?

Offline Zelnik

« Reply #259 on: November 20, 2010, 02:13:27 AM »
Wider. I know it just takes one to remove it.

Offline lastspartacus

« Reply #260 on: December 01, 2010, 06:24:41 AM »
I kind of struck upon something while I was working the night shift the other day.

This is another alternate proposal to how AC work.  It will be more than the HA wish to do because a real update seems to go against whatever their MO is.  But bear with me, for theory and sake of local play.

Not discussing price changes in carriers, though this will almost surely cause them to not need to be as pricey.  I find its best to argue out the actual rules before points costing is discussed.  I will along with the rules, the logic that led to them.

Turrets roll to shoot down ordnance, they roll their dice and then they are mostly done.

Bombers are certainly nowhere near the size of 200 foot long torpedoes packed with ship-killing explosives.  There is no way they could do exponentially more damage.  They do however benefit from seeking out the weakest armor, and through this can sometimes achieve more precise strikes at weak points.  Bombers roll 2d6 against the weakest armor of a ship.

Fighters protect the bombers on their attack runs, and run interception/diversion as needed.  If there is not at least one remaining fighter marker in a wave to divert enemy fire after turrets have been rolled, bombers only roll 1d6 on their attack runs.  Markers that have the option to act as fighters must have their role in the attack run declared before turrets are rolled.

Fighter bombers act as both fighters and bombers.  When attacking a ship, markers with the fighter-bomber rule roll 1d6 against weakest ship armor, but do not have their roll reduced by lack of dedicated fighter markers.

Assault boats work as normal.  Surviving fighters in a wave with assault boats, -1 if bombers are also in same wave, may give a +1 bonus to the hit and run roll of the assault boat at a 1:1 ratio, as they cover the advance to the most optimal boarding location.

It always bothered me that bombers could do more damage than torpedoes could, to massive city sized ships covered in armor.
I feel these rules brings AC down to a good attack option with its own advantages and disadvantages.  It also saves minutes in the game by eliminating a dice mechanic.

Offline lastspartacus

« Reply #261 on: December 03, 2010, 05:55:58 AM »
Alternate idea is 3 and 2 if unsupported instead of 2 and 1 unsupported, but I'm not sure if thats too powerful or not.

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
« Reply #262 on: December 03, 2010, 06:36:18 AM »
More dice on one str3 marker per FAQ2010...

Offline lastspartacus

« Reply #263 on: December 03, 2010, 07:10:20 AM »
Say what?  Oh, you are talking of torps I assume?  Thats a good thing right?

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
« Reply #264 on: December 03, 2010, 07:33:50 AM »
Yes. Dunno if it is good. I would rather have two str3 markes with seperate dices in b2b contact if strength is above 6.

Offline lastspartacus

« Reply #265 on: December 03, 2010, 08:20:37 AM »
Oh, simply for the reason of not having 2d6 on/behind a marker, id assume.

Offline lastspartacus

« Reply #266 on: December 04, 2010, 08:11:12 PM »
Thoughts on squadrons combining AC like they do torps?

Offline Vaaish

• Digital Equinox
« Reply #267 on: December 04, 2010, 09:38:44 PM »
LS, don't combine AC, it'll get messy. All you really do is then make it so a single fighter takes out the whole combined wave which no one will want to have happen.

Even putting the dice behind the torpedo marker gets pretty messy once you hit 3d6 which isn't that hard to have happen. It gets even more so when you have ordnance from both players in close proximity. Putting the d6 on the marker makes it obvious what goes with what and having one marker per s6 torpedoes doesn't neuter IN.
-Vaaish

Offline lastspartacus

« Reply #268 on: December 04, 2010, 09:54:34 PM »
Ok, I get the torp argument more I think, except from a fluff perspective, which is what won me over from the long torp lines in the first place.

Do you know what I mean when I say combining AC?  I don't mean fighters and torps, though that is an interesting idea id like to pursue.  I mean, say, 2 Defiants in a squadron in btb being able to make a str4 wave.  I don't know why a fighter would wipe out the whole wave.

Offline Admiral_d_Artagnan

« Reply #269 on: December 04, 2010, 10:02:30 PM »
They  can do it as per the rules already.