July 08, 2024, 03:23:22 AM

Author Topic: Warhammer bases for Ordy bases  (Read 10422 times)

Offline Caine-HoA

Re: Warhammer bases for Ordy bases
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2010, 10:00:44 PM »
The color is a point for me as well. Bases shouldnt be dominant for BFG. I dont even like written ship names on the bases.

Offline fracas

• WarMancer
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2010, 01:19:09 PM »
Hi!

my comment:

I think they are a bit too thick - why not cut them from plasticard.

not direct at you in particular but toward the FAQ (and yes, i am repeating myself)

why not use the base they came with?

Offline RayB HA

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2010, 09:17:09 PM »
mspaetauf,

Well I suppose you could camouflage them. Keep 'em black but paint colured lines on them to denote number and AC type. Or different coloured stars. (I'll give this a go when I get a moment).

It will be up to the player how they want to base thier ordy as long as it's to the correct dimensions.

Epic bases are the wrong shape. But cut 'em in half, and they can be used with a warhammer base. 

Cheers,

RayB HA
+++++++++++

When I joined the Corp we didn't have any fancy smancy tanks! We had sticks! Two sticks and a rock for an entire platoon, and we had to share the rock!

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
  • Destiny Infinity Eternity
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2010, 07:00:02 AM »
I want something that is easily obtainable by anyone and I do not like the fact that my well kept markers from the original box are no longer 'official' in a way.

I prefer a premade PDF which has all markers at correct sizes and which you can print and cut out.

Glue this on thicker paper/cardboard if you wish and add miniatures to them if you have them :

as it stands most people do not have miniatures for AC.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 07:01:44 AM by horizon »

Offline mspaetauf

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2010, 11:29:44 AM »
why are E:A bases the wrong shape? I use them myself for my ordnance. After all, if you group two bases together, it does not matter anymore if they are 1x4 cm or 2x2 cm size. And most carriers launch 4 bases, anyway.

When playing I am fine with both options. I do not think it really makes a difference, as long as the base size isn't any larger than 1x4 or 2x2 cm.

Just take what you are happy with. :)

cheers,

Offline RayB HA

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2010, 03:14:18 PM »
I hate invalidating any model, I'm sorry.

5 strong Epic bases do look cool, but square, hexagon or circle bases are far more suited to BFG's scale. As square bases match the chits and show dirrection (if this is ever relevent), they win me over. Hex bases don't exist in GW's armoury so we miss out sadly. Also if we don't stack, square bases are better for laying them side by side.
There would have to be wave distribution rules to stop 'two headed snake' exploits, such as at least one marker has to be in contact with all other markers, where corner to corner counts as base contact. This would limit waves to str9, so if this was exceeded they would then have to be placed in contact with the 'outer ring', but it would rarely come into it.

Cheers,

RayB HA
+++++++++++

When I joined the Corp we didn't have any fancy smancy tanks! We had sticks! Two sticks and a rock for an entire platoon, and we had to share the rock!

Offline fracas

• WarMancer
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2010, 11:56:09 PM »
i think the epic bases are more directional, i.e. have a clear front and back. from a distance it easily identifiable. just like torpedo markers.
from a distance the square chits for ac can be confusing to me as to which way they are facing as there are now 4 equal sides.
i understand this is subjective and thus think we should allow both.

i am all in favor of stacking, and if this comes to pass, would make the square ac markers easier to manage. models can still be used to be the topmost chit, with increasing size of the wave denoted by how many chits lie underneath the model. while functional, i believe this is less aesthetically pleasing. a problem might be though is what would you put as the top marker. in a mixed wave, do you always put the fighter chit? the chit representing the most numerous in the wave? what if it is a tie in fighters, bombers, and assault boats? it could get problematic.

i think the best visual would be to denote the size of the wave based on the number of models on the marker. and as a complementary benefit, denote the content of the wave based on the actual models used. 4 attack craft models will easily sit on a 2cm x 2cm chit; and readily on the epic base.

the compromise and alternative solution to stacking, as i suggested previously, would be to limit how wide a wave can be, regardless of the size of the marker used, to be no more than 8cm wide. this would have minimal impact on the game as the standard carrier has 4 launch bays. when using 2x2 markers, the wave thus would be 2cm x 8cm, when using epic bases, the wave would remain 2cm x 8cm.

Offline mspaetauf

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2010, 01:05:51 PM »
I hate invalidating any model, I'm sorry.

5 strong Epic bases do look cool, but square, hexagon or circle bases are far more suited to BFG's scale. As square bases match the chits and show dirrection (if this is ever relevent), they win me over. Hex bases don't exist in GW's armoury so we miss out sadly. Also if we don't stack, square bases are better for laying them side by side.
There would have to be wave distribution rules to stop 'two headed snake' exploits, such as at least one marker has to be in contact with all other markers, where corner to corner counts as base contact. This would limit waves to str9, so if this was exceeded they would then have to be placed in contact with the 'outer ring', but it would rarely come into it.

i don't get what you are trying to say :(

about stacking counters: A.Chambers himself said that there should be no stacking the counters.

cheers,

Offline RayB HA

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2010, 03:19:09 PM »
Fracas,

I can't really see how you can get facing confused with basically triagular ships on a square base...

In the case of mixed squadrons I'd put the models of the most in the wave on top, unless I had half epic bases in which case I could put both, oh wait I do.  ;)

I do like your idea for mixed bases, you could easily put one on top of a mixed wave. The colour of its base(If you use this), being the majority, so most likely bombers.

mspaetauf,

Andy Chambers removed the stacking rule because it penalised players with models over those with chits, as you can only stack chits. However, if you use empty warmammer bases you can stack with models.

Cheers,

RayB HA
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 02:58:38 PM by RayB HA »
+++++++++++

Offline Klyith

• Lurker
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2010, 08:49:39 PM »
Then Andy Chambers should be the one to fix it.  Has he suggested anything?
Sometime when people were first proposing new counters for torpedoes, including the single-size with die for str, Andy replied that alternate torpedo markers were the one thing he wished he had had thought of. If he had they would have been in Armada with the other major changes: reloading, launch limit and nova cannons.

as they are now, they work well as a navigation hazard and work well to block the path of enemy movement, putting them on the 20x20 bases sort of ruins the effect.

How can we make the navigation hazard that the torpedo's  are today?
This has a point. Imperial players who concentrate on torpedoes rather than nova cannon rely on old-school unguided torps being wide enough to block movement or hit after a two moves. With very small markers, it is easy to line up where the torps are going and avoid them.

OTOH I think the tau gain too much advantage from large markers. I've been victim to 8-wide waves that were a bit too efficient at hitting multiple ships by clipping bases.

Offline RayB HA

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2010, 12:26:56 AM »
Here's a more subtle version of the bases

Cheers,

RayB
+++++++++++

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
  • Destiny Infinity Eternity
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2010, 04:12:50 AM »
That's friendly, showing off with an original Voss Prow CL.... ;)

Offline RayB HA

« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2010, 05:33:07 AM »
What can I say, it caught my eye!  ;D
+++++++++++