July 08, 2024, 03:28:35 AM

Author Topic: Warhammer bases for Ordy bases  (Read 10424 times)

Offline RayB HA

Warhammer bases for Ordy bases
« on: April 18, 2010, 11:36:39 PM »
Hi Guys,

The following is an example of using warhammer bases as Ordy bases.

The colours signify the ordnance type, in the picture RED = Assualt boats, GREEN = Thunder Hawks, GREY = Fighters, BLUE = Bombers and BLACK is Torpedoes.

The dashes show how many that base represents (1's and 2's), in the picture there are 2 waves of 2 assault boats, a wave of 2 Thunderhawks, a mixed wave of 1 fighter and 3 bombers, a fighter on CAP and a 5 strong torpedo salvo.

In the case of torpedoes, dice represent the strength. RED dice would represent boarding torps.

Please comment.

Cheers,

RayB HA
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 01:26:57 AM by RayB HA »
+++++++++++

When I joined the Corp we didn't have any fancy smancy tanks! We had sticks! Two sticks and a rock for an entire platoon, and we had to share the rock!

Offline Vaaish

• Digital Equinox
Re: Warhammer bases for Ordy bases
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 04:22:20 AM »
Personally I think the warhammer bases are too thick. They look out of place on the board to me. I'd rather go with the old 20x20 epic bases and keep them black. I think that the models themselves do a pretty good job of showing what type of ordnance they are.
-Vaaish

Offline Zelnik

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 04:37:49 AM »
While I agree with Vaaish, I appreciate the point made by Ray.

The old 20x20 epic bases are not made anymore, if you can find em, hoard em and use them with the metal ordnance!

otherwise, since warhammer squares are exactly the same dimensions, you might as well use them if you don't have anything better to use. 

Offline Zelnik

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 04:39:05 AM »
The torpedo markers really are not acceptible i am afraid... the torpedo counters really are as they are supposed to be.

Offline RayB HA

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 01:29:06 PM »
Zelnik

The torpedo markers really are not acceptible i am afraid... the torpedo counters really are as they are supposed to be.

Supposed to be?! Even Andy Chambers regrets using varying sized torp markers! There are so many advantages to having this single sized marker:
You need less markers in your collection.
You don't need to keep swaping out markers.
You don't have to push multiple markers together to make a large salvo.
The warhammer base is square, having an obvious centre and makes 45* turns really easy.
If AC use them as well it unifies all ordy markers.
Torpedoes would stop having a stupidly large presence, larger than planets in some cases!

Cheers,

RayB HA
+++++++++++

When I joined the Corp we didn't have any fancy smancy tanks! We had sticks! Two sticks and a rock for an entire platoon, and we had to share the rock!

Offline RayB HA

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 01:31:08 PM »
On the point of them being too thick. Well it's kind of the point as you can see how many are in the wave from the sides!  :)

Cheers,

RayB HA
+++++++++++

Offline fracas

• WarMancer
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 06:42:52 PM »
i rather see the epic based used with the model indicative of what is in the wave
1 model = str 1 AC
1 fighter model & 3 bomber models = a wave of one fighter and 3 bombers
etc

two epic bases can be glued together (to make a stand 2cm x 4cm) for waves larger than 4
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 06:48:52 PM by fracas »

Offline Caine-HoA

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 07:13:12 PM »
The problem is, that in this way the waves of AC need less space, having 2 or even 4 squadrons on 2cmx2cm. With the normal markers you would need 2cmx8cm or 4cmx4cm for 4 squadrons of AC.

Having a different size changes the movement of the ordnance for you as well as for your enemy. For example is it easier you shoot torpedo salvos if the enemies 4 fighter squadrons only use the space of 2cmx2cm. There are more examples. Having only 2cmx2cm markers for torpedo salvoes of any strengh makes it easier to fire them as well.

Offline Zelnik

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 12:46:32 AM »
Then Andy Chambers should be the one to fix it.  Has he suggested anything?

as they are now, they work well as a navigation hazard and work well to block the path of enemy movement, putting them on the 20x20 bases sort of ruins the effect.

How can we make the navigation hazard that the torpedo's  are today?

Offline fracas

• WarMancer
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2010, 02:18:08 AM »
The problem is, that in this way the waves of AC need less space, having 2 or even 4 squadrons on 2cmx2cm. With the normal markers you would need 2cmx8cm or 4cmx4cm for 4 squadrons of AC.

Having a different size changes the movement of the ordnance for you as well as for your enemy. For example is it easier you shoot torpedo salvos if the enemies 4 fighter squadrons only use the space of 2cmx2cm. There are more examples. Having only 2cmx2cm markers for torpedo salvoes of any strengh makes it easier to fire them as well.

hence the need to standardize the base size for each squadron and for waves

Offline RayB HA

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2010, 02:46:19 AM »
Fracas,

The single epic base is okay. However I find that taking bases from the stack is easier and less demanding of your marker collection, especially for mixed waves. Granted you can use magnets, but I feel that is too far to travel for your average gamer.

Also the fact that it is square is a safer for movement than a rectangle. I realise circular is even better for this but I’d like to allow players to be able to mix these with the chits, or even glue the chits straight on to bases. Also square bases makes turning easier, if this is relevant.

Caine-HoA,

Having AC take up less space is great! It makes them easier to move and more ‘realistically’ scaled.
In the case of fighters, space them out 1.9cm apart corner to corner, why would they be in a wave anyway.
Torps are easier to fire, but can’t attack as many targets. Granted some of those targets might be sacrificial lambs. But it weighs out fairly in my opinion.
As for large AC waves, this stops them using the two headed ‘snake’ movement which can be exploited to a crazy degree. For example even a wave of 4 bombers stretched out in a line that could be 16cm long (using epic bases), that’s almost their normal speed! 

Zelnik,

Andy Chambers has no say in SG or GW anymore. He left with his genius for the colonies. 

You are worried about torps not creating the navigational hazard they can currently, I suppose you should be worried, 2cm is a little bit smaller than a 3str salvo. But good placement still puts them in the path of capital ships, and at range it makes very little difference anyway except to prevent AAF or Lock-on, which is still doable.
 As above it makes them more realistically scaled, but more importantly much easier to change strength. There is room for a little compromise here, as we could have a warhammer base show every 6 torps or part there of. So a strength 10 salvo would have 2 bases side by side.

Cheers,

RayB HA
+++++++++++

Offline Commx

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2010, 07:35:55 AM »

As for large AC waves, this stops them using the two headed ‘snake’ movement which can be exploited to a crazy degree. For example even a wave of 4 bombers stretched out in a line that could be 16cm long (using epic bases), that’s almost their normal speed! 

I could be wrong, but the rules on page 29 seem to imply that only Markers which actually come into contact with an enemy are actuallyto make attacks, so spreading them out more than their speed would only be detrimental - only a few will be capable of rolling Attack Runs whilst the entire wave is removed afterwards unless it is split before the attack. That appears to be a good issue for the FAQ though...

For the Markers themselves; why did you go with square ones instead of round ones for the Attack Craft? It seems logical for Torpedoes to require a square base so the front can be easily determined, as well as the width of its 'trail' when moving. Attack Craft on the other hand are 'omni-directional' for all rule purposes, so it seems odd to give them a few millimetres more or less 'range' depending on the angle at which their marker lies.

Offline russ_c

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2010, 10:42:44 AM »
You can mark me down as a vote for standard 20x20mm AC bases.  Probably will DIY my own since I agree that the warhammer bases are silly tall.  Although I like the appearance of round, it just makes more sense to form waves with bases that tile.  Not sure how I feel about 1 marker representing more than one strength.

On the flip side, I certainly vote for standard torp markers.  I want to enjoy the game, not micro manage the size of markers.  Something like a 40x20mm as the universal compromise (I'm saying this while being the owner of a desolator).  Possibly, two sizes to cover a greater range...just not X number of sizes!  ::)

Russ

Offline fracas

• WarMancer
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2010, 01:55:34 PM »
Fracas,

The single epic base is okay. However I find that taking bases from the stack is easier and less demanding of your marker collection, especially for mixed waves. Granted you can use magnets, but I feel that is too far to travel for your average gamer.

Also the fact that it is square is a safer for movement than a rectangle. I realise circular is even better for this but I’d like to allow players to be able to mix these with the chits, or even glue the chits straight on to bases. Also square bases makes turning easier, if this is relevant.

i currently mount my ACs on 1/2 a warmaster base. so it is 2cm x 2cm flat, with 2 models per square.
but it seems less than ideal imo because now i have ran out of extra warmaster bases to cut up, and it seems such a waste to discard the epic bases that come with the blister.

precisely the reason why i suggested using the epic base with variable models mounted, to minimize the abuse of a wave 16cm wide (from a tau explorer for instance) even using 2x2cm bases. thus AC waves (if using the epic mount) will typically be 4cm wide.

Offline mspaetauf

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2010, 05:38:41 PM »
Hi!

my comment:

I think they are a bit too thick - why not cut them from plasticard.

What I really do not like about them is the multitude of colours on the table. I find the bases to be too dominant. I do not like my BFG table with too much stuff on it - painted stars and comets (background) are fine, though! :)

cheers,