August 05, 2024, 11:22:27 PM

Author Topic: BFG FAQ 2010 General Rules Questions  (Read 216398 times)

Offline RayB HA

Re: BFG FAQ 2010 General Rules Questions
« Reply #120 on: May 17, 2010, 11:26:07 PM »
Hi Guys,

I like the solution of ALL your ships losing BFI at the end of your turn no matter what. It's quite clear and barely changes how the rules work presently.

Having BFI as a normal SO was quite cool back in the day of email gaming. But I agree its too big a change to throw into an FAQ. 

Cheers,

RayB HA
+++++++++++

When I joined the Corp we didn't have any fancy smancy tanks! We had sticks! Two sticks and a rock for an entire platoon, and we had to share the rock!

Offline Admiral_d_Artagnan

« Reply #121 on: May 18, 2010, 02:43:42 AM »
I'm in the camp of BFI rules are fine. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Offline Vaaish

• Digital Equinox
« Reply #122 on: May 18, 2010, 03:46:33 AM »
I don't mind all ships losing BFI at the end of the turn no matter what, but it does have the somewhat odd situation where some ship will BFI for less than a phase thus gaining a 4+ save vs ordnance strikes and then coming back to full strength as the turn ends.

Russ:
I think you misread my proposed change. Firepower is halved for the next shooting phase so there shouldn't be a point where you can brace and then spring back to full to strike. No matter when you brace, your weapons will be at half strength for one shooting phase whether it is the one immediately following or the one in your next turn.

IE. If you brace in your movement phase, your weapons will be halved in your shooting phase. If you brace in your opponents ordnance phase you will be at half strength in your shooting phase when your next turn starts.
-Vaaish

Offline russ_c

« Reply #123 on: May 18, 2010, 04:08:05 AM »
Russ:
I think you misread my proposed change. Firepower is halved for the next shooting phase so there shouldn't be a point where you can brace and then spring back to full to strike. No matter when you brace, your weapons will be at half strength for one shooting phase whether it is the one immediately following or the one in your next turn.

Ah yes, got it.  What I  had suggested is roughly a variation of your wording.  It creates the same situation in which you're only braced for a single one of your shooting phases.  Perhaps your idea is more elegant in delivery then! :)  When you said "next shooting phase" I understood that to mean any shooting phase including opponents, not, "for that player's next shooting phase".  So perhaps you could clarify that portion and then I could get behind that wording!

Russ

Offline russ_c

« Reply #124 on: May 18, 2010, 04:10:35 AM »
I don't mind all ships losing BFI at the end of the turn no matter what, but it does have the somewhat odd situation where some ship will BFI for less than a phase thus gaining a 4+ save vs ordnance strikes and then coming back to full strength as the turn ends.

But that is the exact problem of always losing BFI at the end phase, you get a free save against Ordnance without the negative impacts.  Everyone will just BFI in the ordnance phase! Thus, the solution that one of your shooting phases will always be affected.  Makes you actually think about using BFI during an opponents ordnance phase.

Russ
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 04:12:46 AM by russ_c »

Offline fracas

• WarMancer
« Reply #125 on: May 18, 2010, 12:11:41 PM »
exactly

go on SO (lock on for instance) as normal, then go on BFI afterward. and occasionally try and try again till you get it.

again, imo either bring it in line with other SO or make it something other than a SO, like a command check to shoot at a further target, or maneuver through an asteroid field.

Offline Vaaish

• Digital Equinox
« Reply #126 on: May 18, 2010, 02:09:09 PM »
Russ: would this make the intent more clear; "...A ship which uses this special order may not use special orders at all in its next turn and the ship's Firepower, ordnance, and armament strength is halved for the owning player's next shooting phase..."?

Fracas, I really don't think anything that extreme is needed. All we are really discussing is ways to clarify the duration and iron out some minor oddities.
-Vaaish

Offline RayB HA

« Reply #127 on: May 18, 2010, 03:33:01 PM »
What I want is the following (But for some reason I'm having trouble putting it into words):

When you BFI, after your next shooting phase you lose BFI at the end of that end phase.

So if you BFI in your movement phase, you'll lose BFI at the end of the same turn. If you BFI in your ordnance phase you'll be stuck with BFI until the end of your next turn.

Does this sound okay? 

Cheers,

RayB HA
+++++++++++

When I joined the Corp we didn't have any fancy smancy tanks! We had sticks! Two sticks and a rock for an entire platoon, and we had to share the rock!

Offline Vaaish

• Digital Equinox
« Reply #128 on: May 18, 2010, 03:38:46 PM »
Ray, I think that's basically what Russ and I have been discussing. The problem with the way you are saying it though is that it doesn't address the duration of BFI if you brace in your opponents shooting or ordnance phases.

Disregarding what we had been talking about, perhaps you are looking for some thing that just says: If a player braces in their own turn, BFI is cleared in the end phase of their opponents turn. If a player braces in their opponents turn, BFI is cleared in the end phase of their next turn.
-Vaaish

Offline RayB HA

« Reply #129 on: May 18, 2010, 05:35:09 PM »
Vaaish,

The duration of BFI should vary as its end point should always be the same.

You may Brace For Impact whenever your ship may take damage. Brace for Impact lasts until the end phase following your next shooting phase. E.g. If you braced during your ordnance phase or during the enemy's turn you will be braced until the end of your next turn. If you braced in your movement phase you would be braced until the end your turn.

Cheers,

RayB
+++++++++++

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
  • Destiny Infinity Eternity
« Reply #130 on: May 18, 2010, 07:49:34 PM »
So, if I brace in my own ordnance phase I am braced in my following opponents turn, then in my own movement & shooting phase and unbrace when my ordnance phase starts?
Correct?

When I brace in my opponents shooting phase I am unbraced as soon as it is my opponents turn again (thus in between a braced turn of my own)?

Offline RayB HA

« Reply #131 on: May 18, 2010, 09:06:23 PM »
Roy,

If you brace in your own ordnance phase you are braced in your following opponents turn, then in your own movement, shooting and ordnance phase and unbrace at the end of that turn NOT when your ordnance phase starts.

When you brace in your opponents shooting phase you are unbraced at the end of your next turn so just before it's your opponents turn again.

Clear?

Cheers,

RayB
+++++++++++

Offline Vaaish

• Digital Equinox
« Reply #132 on: May 18, 2010, 09:22:38 PM »
Ray, what you are writing sounds like you are trying to say that you come off BFI when the end of the phase you braced in passes again. is this right?
-Vaaish

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
  • Destiny Infinity Eternity
« Reply #133 on: May 18, 2010, 09:25:31 PM »
BFI: no matter when this is issued the ship will always be braced untill one full turn of the player with the braced ship has passed?

Offline RayB HA

« Reply #134 on: May 18, 2010, 09:35:55 PM »
 ;D

You lose your BFI at the end of the turn you have your next shooting phase. That's it!

Player B is Bracing:

Player B Movement Phase/Shooting Phase/Ordnance Phase(BFI due to Ordy)/End Phase

Player A Movement Phase(BFI due to ramming)/Shooting Phase(BFI due to shooting)/Ordnance Phase(BFI due to ordy)/End Phase

Player B Movement Phase(BFI due to Ramming/Ordy/Cellestial Phenomenon)/Shooting Phase/Ordnance Phase/End Phase (BFI Ends here for all of those cases)

Clear? Please say yes!  ;D

Cheers,

RayB
+++++++++++