August 05, 2024, 07:16:58 PM

Author Topic: BFG FAQ 2010 General Rules Questions  (Read 216354 times)

Offline Zhukov

Re: BFG FAQ 2010 General Rules Questions
« Reply #90 on: May 06, 2010, 11:32:02 PM »

Ok thanks for that clarification trynerror. My two rules suggestions are these then:

1. When firing at minefields, they count as a defense and not as ordnance.

I'm sorry but if your firing at a very, very, very large area of asteroids and mines only to create a distraction for the sensors of the mines, it shouldn't be hard to target. However, I do feel it should be a 6 to hit with Lances and Weapons Batteries due to the difficulty of creating an effective "screen" of debris.

2. Shields should not defend against asteroid impacts.

Reason? How are they not considered the same as torpedo and attack craft going through shields?

I am Zukov's Klaw.

"Oh mah gawd its like a giant veil was just lifted off my face and the beautiful maiden before my eyes just turned into a hideous Ork with a giant, bloody choppa."

Offline Don Gusto

« Reply #91 on: May 07, 2010, 03:23:07 PM »
Asteroid Impacts
Battleships with 4 shields have never been scared of asteroids... Is this necessary?
Probably not it just felt natural. After all everyone knows what happens when you send Star Destroyers into an asteroid field. ;D

I was wondering though were the translator for the german rules got that information (assuming he didn't make it up) and found this in the Q&A section of Warp Storm:
Q: "A ship is moving though an asteroid field and fails its Leadership test ... The ship ends its movement on the other side of the asteroid field. Where do you place the blast markers?"
A: "Place them in the front arc of the ship."

That's pretty old of course, many things have changed.
My concern in this matter is not really where the blast markers are placed but that they are placed.

Alternatively, as Zhukov suggested, asteroids could ignore shields. In that case however turrets should offer some kind of protection.
How about d6-turrets? (just think of the Star Destroyer  ;))

Offline Zhukov

« Reply #92 on: May 08, 2010, 05:32:24 PM »

I completely agree that turrets should work against asteroids about to impact a vessel. However, CAP fighters I would say no (weapons aren't strong enough to break down an asteroid that's large enough to damage a capital ship). The procedure would work like this with my suggestion:

1. Ship passes through asteroid field and fails Ld check.
2. Roll a D6 to determine how many asteroids may impact the ship.
3. Roll turret defensive fire against the number of asteroids rolled above.
4. Any asteroids that are still around after turrets, impact the ship for one hit point of damage each.

Makes sense to y'all?

-Zhukov
I am Zukov's Klaw.

"Oh mah gawd its like a giant veil was just lifted off my face and the beautiful maiden before my eyes just turned into a hideous Ork with a giant, bloody choppa."

Offline RayB HA

« Reply #93 on: May 11, 2010, 04:33:26 AM »
Given the massive effect of minefield suppression, making it easy would be a little harsh.

Asteroids ignoring shields is a fair point, what if it were simply D6 damage –turrets, instead of shields?

Cheers,

RayB HA
+++++++++++

When I joined the Corp we didn't have any fancy smancy tanks! We had sticks! Two sticks and a rock for an entire platoon, and we had to share the rock!

Offline fracas

• WarMancer
« Reply #94 on: May 11, 2010, 12:28:46 PM »
turrets instead of shields vs asteroid makes alot of sence

Offline Zhukov

« Reply #95 on: May 11, 2010, 04:01:29 PM »
Ray,

That ruling would be fine with me!
I am Zukov's Klaw.

Offline Admiral_d_Artagnan

« Reply #96 on: May 11, 2010, 11:12:36 PM »
You guys really think turrets, even turrets in the 40k universe, would and should work against asteroids, these same asteroids which mass in the megatons, fluff-wise?

I don't think so. The best solution? Don't go into asteroid fields. If you do, then prepare to take yer lumps. I think the rules are ok as they are.

Offline RayB HA

« Reply #97 on: May 11, 2010, 11:28:18 PM »
Asteroids can be huge but I'd imagine the bigger ones would be easy to detect and a avoid, the ones that are say 100 metres across will be the threats.

Cheers,

RayB HA
+++++++++++

When I joined the Corp we didn't have any fancy smancy tanks! We had sticks! Two sticks and a rock for an entire platoon, and we had to share the rock!

« Reply #98 on: May 11, 2010, 11:44:03 PM »
Which is why I think the rules are fine. If you really want to change it (which I find odd since you claim you don't want to make any changes, just clarifications), then let the asteroids roll vs the armor the way bombers would.  I still don't think turrets are enough against the asteroids, especially since D6 isn't really representative of the number of possible asteroids which could hit a ship, if you're talking about the 100 meter sized ones.

Offline RayB HA

« Reply #99 on: May 11, 2010, 11:50:03 PM »
Admiral_d_Artagnan,

This almost certainly won't make it into the FAQ, but its worth some consideration if only for another time.

Cheers,

RayB HA

+++++++++++

« Reply #100 on: May 11, 2010, 11:55:30 PM »
Ok. Fair enough.

Offline RayB HA

« Reply #101 on: May 12, 2010, 12:02:30 AM »
Hi All,

As the speed of questions for the FAQ is slowing to a trickle, further answers will be added in bold to help me add them to a single FAQ document.

I’m going to mention anyone who has got any questions nailed onto the FAQ. If this is okay with you please let me know.

Cheers,

RayB HA
+++++++++++

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
  • Destiny Infinity Eternity
« Reply #102 on: May 12, 2010, 04:58:32 AM »
...and Eldar do not have turrets and are supposed to hide in asteroid fields. ;)

Offline Don Gusto

« Reply #103 on: May 12, 2010, 10:16:29 AM »
They don't have shields either, nothing would change for Eldar ships.
For all ships that have the same number of shields/turrets the threat of asteroids wouldn't change either.
But the issue with blast markers would be gone, so imho it would be a big improvement.

Offline Mazila

« Reply #104 on: May 14, 2010, 10:24:10 PM »
I have a question in regards to BFI. On 23 page or rulebook it says that a ship may not attempt any special order in it’s next tern. Does that mean that if I fly into ordnance during my turn and go BFI, I will still be braced during opponents and my next turn as well?