August 06, 2024, 03:12:28 AM

Author Topic: BFG FAQ 2010 Fleet Specific Questions  (Read 176028 times)

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
  • Destiny Infinity Eternity
Re: BFG FAQ 2010 Fleet Specific Questions
« Reply #165 on: April 20, 2010, 04:10:23 AM »
Zelnik, the Despoiler has a gaping prow launch bay on the model. More people would take the vessel if it actually had a prow launch bay in the stats.

It has two battery slots on each side, equal to a Murder/Carnage so that should be 10 batteries.

It is still a carrier and those prow lances are and have been stupid. The issue may not have been up recently but has been an issue in the past on SG forum by a great many. Like everyone.

Offline russ_c

« Reply #166 on: April 20, 2010, 08:54:01 AM »
Reserves and Daemonships: Are Daemonships, "ships" for the purpose of taking it as a reserve or are they rules that apply only to ships ever in the 13th Crusade list?

Russ

Offline fracas

• WarMancer
« Reply #167 on: April 20, 2010, 01:58:06 PM »
Ages ago we used to shoot at asteroid fields as if they were minefields, just to try and wreck an Eldar players hiding place. Hmm, I can't remember why we stopped using that house rule... Oh yeah, our Eldar players whine too much!  ;)

Cheers,

RayB

can we revive it?
maybe as an experimental rule?

Offline RayB HA

« Reply #168 on: April 20, 2010, 03:53:57 PM »
Russ,

Yeah you can take a daemon ship as a reserve! It's actually a reserve example in Armada. I'll make this clear in the FAQ.

Fracas,

I suppose it's possible, I'll ask the rest of the HA.

Cheers,

RayB HA
+++++++++++

When I joined the Corp we didn't have any fancy smancy tanks! We had sticks! Two sticks and a rock for an entire platoon, and we had to share the rock!

Offline Zelnik

« Reply #169 on: April 20, 2010, 08:29:59 PM »
Trust me when i say this, Horizon, i agree with you.  However, these rules have been set in stone for some time, and if we can't even change the prow of the Endeavor to 6+, how can we possibly change the Despoiler?

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
« Reply #170 on: April 20, 2010, 08:36:27 PM »
....perhaps in the soon to open thread by Ray...?

Offline Caine-HoA

« Reply #171 on: April 20, 2010, 09:16:47 PM »
I appreciate that RayB spends his time for the BFG community for this FAQ. And i would be happy if the other thread would indeed be created to round up some more issues.

Offline russ_c

« Reply #172 on: April 20, 2010, 09:45:08 PM »
Russ,

Yeah you can take a daemon ship as a reserve! It's actually a reserve example in Armada. I'll make this clear in the FAQ.

Fracas,

I suppose it's possible, I'll ask the rest of the HA.

Cheers,

RayB HA

Oh, are those rules missing from the PDF files?  I don't own the actual book so I've never been straight on what the reserve rules where until you posted them.

Russ

Offline fracas

• WarMancer
« Reply #173 on: April 20, 2010, 10:46:34 PM »
asked in another thread but probably more appropriate here

1. can SM bombardment cannon be shot simultaneously with regular batteries from the same ship/squadron, thus preventing the column shift generated if batteries fire first or afterward?

2. same with Orks heavy gunz.

Offline Zelnik

« Reply #174 on: April 20, 2010, 11:29:35 PM »
... no, because neither are batteries.

Offline russ_c

« Reply #175 on: April 21, 2010, 03:15:59 AM »
... no, because neither are batteries.

Both weapons are stated to be batteries in their respective entries and this does make the issue less then crystal clear.  I think Fracas asks a perfectly valid question that should be addressed in the FAQ regardless that most groups have accepted they are considered different weapons.

[Edit] Actually, bombardment cannons are clearly explained to be a different weapon type in there entry, but it does say "Bombardment cannons fie in the same way as weapon batteries..."

Russ
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 03:22:18 AM by russ_c »

Offline Don

• Lurker
« Reply #176 on: April 21, 2010, 07:38:47 PM »
Shooting asteroid field = x attacks against ships inside asteroid field? Maybe asteroids, being large and all have armour value of 6?
This wouldn't work I suppose. Eldar can jump over an asteroid field and sit behind. And I disagree with the 'field as a gas cloud' thing. It will cause a 5 cm speed reduction and will produce a blast marker. I think that a chance to be hit on a 6 in a case of high speed will preserve an Eldar ability for exceptional navigation and will make constant asteroid jumping suicidal.
About shooting at asteroids... well it's a difficult issue. Firstly an asteroid field is a big thing and you must vaporize asteroids in order to remove them. Maybe it is possible to vaporize a portion of a field  with nova cannons or massive batteries fire. Maybe it would be rational to remove a portion of asteroid field covered by nova template after several successful battaries hit or nova hit.  I think that there is more pressing concerns in rules right now, but, well, shooting at the scenery and blowing things up IS fun.

Offline RayB HA

« Reply #177 on: April 21, 2010, 08:06:47 PM »
Don,

It would be pretty extreme to destroy cellestial phenomenon. Shooting at asteroids could just cause BM's (like when shooting at a mine field), so as too slow and if lucky damage Eldar ships travelling through them.

Thinking on the subject further, Eldar just have to pass a leadership check to avoid the effects of dustclouds anyway!

Cheers,

RayB HA
+++++++++++

When I joined the Corp we didn't have any fancy smancy tanks! We had sticks! Two sticks and a rock for an entire platoon, and we had to share the rock!

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
« Reply #178 on: April 21, 2010, 08:38:17 PM »
Heck, just make Eldar MMS and the issue of sitting in and jumping out of asteroid fields is no longer an option. ;)

Or fly into the field yourself. Just a Ld test.

To be honest I find it daft to create special rules for shooting at celestial phenomena because one fleet/race can abuse this.
That is ridiculous.

It is obvious what the problem is and it isn't the asteroid field.

Offline RayB HA

« Reply #179 on: April 21, 2010, 09:47:25 PM »
Horizon,

It's still cool to be able to shot at asteroids even it has a minimal effect.  :)

Eldar need to be redone, but not in an FAQ! It will be one hell of an adventure!

Cheers,

RayB HA
+++++++++++