October 08, 2024, 05:37:08 AM

Author Topic: BFG Adventures in SketchUp  (Read 4167 times)

Offline lord_blackfang

• Loc: Slovenia
BFG Adventures in SketchUp
« on: May 17, 2016, 10:47:54 PM »
Hello folks, as one of the unfortunates who could not get their hands on the more obscure models back in the day, I am in need of transport ships. I threw this together in SketchUp to have 3d printed for myself, but I have made it publicly available if anyone here hates money. http://shpws.me/McxK

I plan on making some cargo modules next, they'll fit in the standard imperial weapon slot.

Yeah, Shapeways pricing is kinda insane, I know. Full disclosure: I set my cut to $1,5.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 10:49:40 PM by lord_blackfang »

Offline MetalCoreKnight

• Loc: Canada
Re: BFG Adventures in SketchUp
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 06:34:25 PM »
The trick for working with FUD is to know when to add multiples. Remember that for the pricing of FUD it only accounts for a flat 5$ charge and then just the amount of material used. This gives us some ways to tweak things in our favour.

That flat 5$ charge is per file and not per part. So if you were to upload a file with TWO ships in the same file it'd be cheaper than buying two separate ships.

And with the rest of the cost being just based on the amount of material used you can cut down on a model's cost by a buck or two pretty easily by modeling it so have more hollow spaces thanks to it being separate parts or something.

Regardless of all that it's still a great start! make sure you keep us updated!

Offline lord_blackfang

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 07:49:33 PM »
Interesting! For my first order I printed one ship plus 3 sets of Dauntless batteries (back in the day, I bought 3 mispacked blisters without batteries and they've been languishing to this day :( ) and I put them all on a sprue to avoid multiple handling charges. You're saying it's fine even without the sprue as long as it's in one file? I guess I wasted a bit of money on sprue volume then, huh.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 07:51:24 PM by lord_blackfang »

Offline MetalCoreKnight

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 09:09:27 PM »
Interesting! For my first order I printed one ship plus 3 sets of Dauntless batteries (back in the day, I bought 3 mispacked blisters without batteries and they've been languishing to this day :( ) and I put them all on a sprue to avoid multiple handling charges. You're saying it's fine even without the sprue as long as it's in one file? I guess I wasted a bit of money on sprue volume then, huh.
It can vary, although the 5$ charge is a flat rate, at the same time if you submit a file with 50 small parts don't be surprised if it gets rejected because it results in such a large amount of time to process those 50 parts even though it is still technically "one file".

I try to sprue up as much as I can without it being without it being too obnoxious and I aim to not have "single" parts floating around, when I was doing my Grey Knight Gladius I had few enough parts per ship that I could make each ship it's own sprue and didn't try to connect each ship together either.

It's got a bit of a learning curve to it! I've been using Shapeways for about a year and a half now but that was mostly in Strong and Flexible and these Grey Knight ships are my first serious use of FUD.

Offline lord_blackfang

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2016, 10:25:03 AM »
And it's here!

Very happy.

Offline lord_blackfang

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2016, 06:38:22 PM »

Offline Chios

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2016, 03:13:42 PM »
Looks Awesome!

Offline lord_blackfang

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2016, 03:19:50 PM »

Offline marell le fou

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2016, 09:37:39 PM »
Really nice job. Congrats ! It looks well compared to an official ship.

Offline MetalCoreKnight

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2016, 05:38:19 PM »
Congrats on the print turning out great! I'm waiting on some Thunderhawk counts as I'm waiting to arrive myself! xD