October 01, 2024, 11:29:01 PM

Author Topic: advice expanding my high elves 1500 to 2000pts  (Read 2870 times)

Offline Apocolocyntosis

advice expanding my high elves 1500 to 2000pts
« on: October 28, 2018, 11:30:32 AM »
Hi all,

Slowly getting back to painting my high elves with the aim of finishing 1500pts by end of year. I need to start tracking down some extras to build it to 2000pts and would like some input.

I currently have:

High Elf Army, 1530 points
Warmaster Revolution
----------------------------------------------------------------
 180 -  3 Spearmen (painted)
 150 -  2 Archers (painted)
 440 -  4 Silver Helms (half painted)
  90 -  1 Reavers (painted)
  95 -  1 Chariots
  70 -  1 Giant Eagles
  55 -  1 Elven Bolt Thrower (painted)
 180 -  1 General
 180 -  1 Hero
     -  1 Dragon (100)
  90 -  1 Wizard
----------------------------------------------------------------
1530 - 13/7

1st addition will be a 4th spears unit (got the strips, just waiting for the mounted command variant from ebay)

Some questions:
  • Is it sensible to take 2 units of eagles at 2k?
  • I've not had much success with my bolt thrower unit so far – are they significantly better with 2 units? (really like the minis)
  • What's it best to brigade my 2 archer units with? 4 archer brigade is a huge frontage if they all shoot, is it worth backing them with spears, or is there a better way?
  • Anyone got experience using eureka 10mm lions for lion chariots? might get a second chariot unit but would prefer to make it distinctive.
  • should I add more characters for 2k? elves seem reliable so not sure its needed
  • any other suggestions on how to build on this force welcome

I've also got the BOFA plastics and 2 units of BOFA elf cav, so an alternative would be to do a 500pt mini BOFA wood elf allied force.

At some point i'd like to make it to a UK WM event with them. Any thoughts appreciated, thanks

(plan is to get elves to 1500pt painted, then do another 1500pt force as an opponent, then go back and finish last 500pt elves)

Offline Kretus

• Loc: Lublin, Poland
Re: advice expanding my high elves 1500 to 2000pts
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 01:12:00 PM »
    Is it sensible to take 2 units of eagles at 2k?
Yes.
   I've not had much success with my bolt thrower unit so far – are they significantly better with 2 units? (really like the minis)
Take two or take none.
    What's it best to brigade my 2 archer units with? 4 archer brigade is a huge frontage if they all shoot, is it worth backing them with spears, or is there a better way?
Back them with spears or brigade them at the wings of bolt throwers.
    Anyone got experience using eureka 10mm lions for lion chariots? might get a second chariot unit but would prefer to make it distinctive.
Can't help with it.

should I add more characters for 2k? elves seem reliable so not sure its needed
I would take two wizards (one on dragon) and no heroes at all.

any other suggestions on how to build on this force welcome
You have plenty of options, depending on enemy you will play against... more infantry vs. terrain dependent army, more chariots/reavers otherwise.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 01:14:41 PM by Kretus »

Offline GrumpyOldMan

• Loc: NSW, Australia
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2018, 10:25:29 PM »

Anyone got experience using eureka 10mm lions for lion chariots? might get a second chariot unit but would prefer to make it distinctive.

Haven't tried it myself but Pendraken now makes lions and tigers and they are very receptive to mixing and matching (may cost a little bit extra).
There is a High Elf Chariot (or you could select another chariot from their range)

Lions (may be smaller for Fantasy figures but then so would Eureka)

And tigers from the Samurai Apes range which can be painted as Lions - greenstuff manes? (these are larger fantasy figures)

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

Offline Apocolocyntosis

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2018, 06:02:01 PM »
Thanks for the input both. Kretus, just the sort of overview I was looking for.
Pendraken ranges look interesting, ive not looked at them for years.

Offline Edmund2011

• Loc: Madrid, Spain
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2018, 09:23:24 PM »

• Anyone got experience using eureka 10mm lions for lion chariots? might get a second chariot unit but would prefer to make it distinctive.

I have Eureka's lions and they are superb figures. I don't have here with me any HE chariot, but I'll try to grab one and send a picture of both together.

Offline Dave

• Loc: Worcester, MA
    • The Epic Gamer
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2018, 01:06:11 AM »
I've got some KoW Elven cats (from their spear elves box, I believe) that I was going to sculpt manes on for Lion chariots and Chrace heroes.