October 01, 2024, 12:30:54 AM

Author Topic: WM: "Standard" vs "Scenario" play  (Read 6794 times)

Offline Stormwind

• Veteran member
  • Ben Sibbald | Newcastle, UK
WM: "Standard" vs "Scenario" play
« on: May 03, 2015, 10:14:34 PM »
Heya all!

Haven't posted much here for a bit, been a traitor looking at Epic on Tac Command. :-X

Something I've been thinking about a bit lately is scenario play.  The normal Warmaster game is based on reaching a breakpoint or knocking out a General on the opposing team.  Do you veterans always play this - or have you gotten so used to that that you always play a scenario?

The rule book and fellow members always encourage some imaginative play, here, but it would be nice to have a "tried and tested" couple of scenarios like you get in the SAGA or 40k rulebooks to have on hand if someone in the club is getting a bit bored of the usual fare.

I'm making some objective markers - but a problem I found with objectives the last tournament we had was that a flier or fast unit could just leap and take something for whoever has the last turn.  I'm thinking of saying that only infantry can take objectives.

Any thoughts? =)
My Personal & Modelling Blog >>http://theancienttrack.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline cjbennett22

• Loc: Grand Rapids, Michigan
Re: WM: "Standard" vs "Scenario" play
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 01:42:39 AM »
you can just say flyers can't capture the objective or the one with the most points within a distance to the objective.....so a flyer not worth a lot of points couldnt even have a chance to get the objective from the opponent with some nice infantry close by.

Best yet, just say no flyers for the game.....it is a scenario after all and what better way to beat boredom but by taking certain stratagems out of the equation.  also, no cavalry or monsters etc. etc.

I love scenarios, I try to play with the random scenario generator all the time now.  When me and my brother can nail down some time to do a full campaign with mighty empire tiles I will use it for every engagement and use everything, even the weather, which would affect missile troops and flyers.

Someone always feels left out I think by being forced to play as the underdog but oh well. 

My wife likes being a "gamemaster", placing the terrain and what not.  I will have her put in random troll encounters in the map as well or even use chaos marauders as bandits or something like that "evil men", that sort of thing.  Someone usually gets screwed over but its fun.

I like the objective scenarios the best.

Offline cjbennett22

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 01:56:47 AM »
I tried to reply with my troll cave.  It was made its own post somehow, very weird  :/

an example of some of the things my wife will do with the terrain before a game.

Offline Dranask1

• Mark Foulds
    • Loc: Maidenhead, Berkshire.
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 07:05:48 AM »
That still rankling then Stormwind? Can't say I'm surprised, that player's style and constant comments, "I don't know how to play." leads you to go easy and enter assist mode, you probably were entitled to feel cheated.

The campaign organiser (O&G) with minimal cavalry tried to put all objectives adjacent to and even in difficult terrain thus prohibiting the cavalry from taking part.

I was certainly aware of the flyer threat in my own games, also lets not forget a sudden lucky cavalry movement that sweeps behind you to take the objective. In both cases I left some lazy
  • trolls to guard the objective I'd taken rather than moving on for the next.

Stratagem rather than prohibition would be the answer.

*[My trolls are always reluctant to move, only the crown of command can guarantee to stir them.]
I play in Maidenhead and belong to
http://madgamers.co.uk/newforum/

New members always welcome!

Offline mlkr

• Loc: Sweden
WM: "Standard" vs "Scenario" play
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 07:30:12 AM »
In the recent tournament at LinCon in Sweden the first game of three was a regular breakpoint-game.

Second was objectivebased with alternating deployment of brigades. Objectives were worth 250 points each and could only be captured or contested by infantry. 2 objectives total and you had to be within 5cm from them to hold or contest.

Last game was objectivebased with hidden deployment.

Objectives were placed in open terrain but had hills/forest/difficult terrain in vicinity that could be used to hold them.

The organizers used a pointbased system to decide how big a victory was. Breakpoint reached? Wich turn? How big were losses and how big diff. Not exactly sure how the math was worked out but seemed to be well thought out.

It's def possible to tweak the game to be more interesting even for tournament games :)
//Swedish BB & WM-player.

Offline Stormwind

• Veteran member
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 11:59:40 AM »
Yeah I think objectives in open terrain but needing infantry to capture probably makes the most sense.

@Dranask:  I have my pretty resin High Elf obelisks I got based and basecoated, I'd be happy to try some kind of objective capture scenario with them - with you to see how it goes.

Offline Dranask1

• Mark Foulds
    • Loc: Maidenhead, Berkshire.
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2015, 01:28:47 PM »
@Stormwind
Maybe a small Waagh! should try to clear the pointy ears off the table this Friday or whatever other force you fancy fielding.

I play in Maidenhead and belong to
http://madgamers.co.uk/newforum/

New members always welcome!

Offline Stormwind

• Veteran member
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 08:08:08 PM »
http://companyofthedamned.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/triumph-and-treachery-warhammer-fantasy.html

It looks like a messy bunch of rules (Or maybe that's just cos it's Warhammer) but I was thinking about this kind of thing - a scenario where you got Victory Points as coins and could use them to bribe allies or mercenaries.

Offline Worldeater74

• Lurker
    • Loc: Easton, PA
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2015, 10:16:16 PM »
Hi all.  First time posting but have been reading forums for a while.  As far as scenarios go, I'm getting ready for a fall themed scenario (I know it's early).  Going for a "Sleepy Hollow" theme.  Converted the Headless Horseman to lead an army of undead against Imperial General Ichabod Crane and an army of Sleepy Hollow militia.  Plan to build a townscape for the undead to invade, along with a river and covered bridge (which the Horseman can't cross).  Kallistra has some nice colonial command figs which one will make a perfect General Crane.  Basically, a destroy the town scenario while the townsfolk have to hold off the undead for 8 turns (crack of dawn).  Scenarios are great especially if there's an interesting story behind them.

Offline cjbennett22

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2015, 01:01:32 AM »
worldeater74, how is it coming with the scenario.  Seems like a lot of time left to Halloween but it will be here quickly.

I am curious how your armies are looking!

Offline jchaos79

• Veteran member
    • Loc: Vigo, Galicia, Spain
    • Fortunes of war
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2015, 05:41:55 AM »
Welcome to the forum worldeater!

Interesting scenario background, looking forward to know a little bit more about ti

Offline Stormwind

• Veteran member
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2015, 01:39:07 PM »
Ha! A headless horseman!

I like it!

Nothing like a "til the break of dawn" townsfolk versus the undead scenario.

Offline toco

• Loc: Belgium
    • Custom Epic 40K, Necromunda, ...
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2018, 10:40:31 AM »
http://companyofthedamned.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/triumph-and-treachery-warhammer-fantasy.html

It looks like a messy bunch of rules (Or maybe that's just cos it's Warhammer) but I was thinking about this kind of thing - a scenario where you got Victory Points as coins and could use them to bribe allies or mercenaries.

I was wondering if anyone ever used the "Triumph & Treachery" rules from Warhammer in a game of Warmaster? It looks like a great way to play multiplayer games.
http://www.tocoking.be/blog

Miniatures: converting, scenery, custom rules, ...

Offline Ole

• TTT
    • Loc: Hamburg
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2018, 09:57:24 PM »
We use the Warmaster Scenario Generator https://www.dropbox.com/s/lt2nzg566uhkj0s/Warmaster%20Scenario%20Generator.pdf?dl=0
Lex had written. The original is on this very site but has some bugs in, so we got in touch with Lex and straighten some minor stuff out. It works great and leaves room for story telling and stuff.

But our princess is in another castle!

Offline cjbennett22

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2018, 02:57:20 AM »
I also use Lex's scenario generator.  Its almost confusing at times for a first time reader but its great for story telling scenarios.  I especially liked the lighting strike scenario  :)