October 03, 2024, 10:15:44 PM

Author Topic: [WM-10mm] Casting  (Read 10955 times)

Offline Stormwind

• Veteran member
  • Ben Sibbald | Newcastle, UK
Re: [WM-10mm] Casting
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2017, 06:34:29 PM »
Nice! 

I had bought the "tree spirit" nymph like figures from Fanticide that Eureka made but they don't look the GW Warhammer scale ones so I always have my eyes peeled for Wood Elf proxies.
My Personal & Modelling Blog >>http://theancienttrack.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline marell le fou

« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2017, 10:24:55 PM »
Very nice job. Go on !

Offline industrialtrousers

• Loc: Londinium
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2017, 11:46:52 PM »
Utterly distracted making a ton of dryads for WE army project. Pretty sure these will never cast so they might just be one offs. Painted up I think they'll look the part.

Offline Stormwind

• Veteran member
  • Ben Sibbald | Newcastle, UK
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2017, 01:09:48 AM »
Neat work!
My Personal & Modelling Blog >>http://theancienttrack.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline marell le fou

« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2017, 09:08:25 PM »
Ooooooh yes ! Very nice stuff ! In pack, i'm sure they would look aweseome.

If i can council something, i would say mold them. You may want some extra unit one day, for you or a friend or anywone else, and you won't be able to if you have already painted them.

« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2017, 09:51:18 AM »
I hear you marell but as I'm not set up for metal casting I can't see it happening. Given the attempts in resin haven't gone well I think anything individual figure scale might be out of reach for me at the moment so I'll probably only try casting buildings/scenery items. I've run out of RTV to make the molds at the moment and 1/3 usable molds isn't a great return on investment.

That said if I can find a method of creating metal minis without a spin caster then I could have a go at making a dozen or so dollies with everything finished bar the head/face and fingers. I might take something I've sculpted to Salute this year and see if I can find a quiet moment to have a chat with one of the Magister or Pendraken blokes and see what they think.

« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2017, 04:09:12 AM »
Sent a few photos off to Pendraken and Leon said they're unlikely to have any joy casting them so I'm going to crack on with painting these up for next month's painting competition.

Offline Clawlessdragon

• Loc: Kent, England
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2017, 08:14:03 AM »
That's a shame  as I would have bought them. I'm going to attempt my own version

« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2017, 10:53:40 AM »
Just a wee update on this as I've now used all of the material I had initially bought.

Form my experience here I've learnt the following:

- I'm not good enough at making molds for figures. They're just too small and tricky to get the resin into. Tried and failed twice. I'll leave this to the experts as I don't want to invest in loads of kit. Don't have space for it.

- The mold for the walls was great - dig them out of the mold when they've just gone white (set) and you can bend them but better to have a form to stick them in or they try to straighten up.  On a couple of occasions I got a bit heavy handed with the initial pour, ended up with too much resin, and had to knock up something in a hurry and found out Plasticine works as a mold - I'll provide a couple of examples in photos this weekend. Not the cheapest scatter terrain in the world but will certainly be robust.

- Polycraft silicone and resin used for this was available from MB Fibreglass in UK - I got the casting kit. Easy to use for the purpose I had. I bought through Amazon so this should work for Europe as well. US you have Smooth-on which looks a pretty good product.

- It's infinitely quicker than sculpting everything you need BUT only worthwhile if you need a lot of them as it's an expensive way to make 5 of something.

Offline Clawlessdragon

• Loc: Kent, England
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2017, 01:48:09 PM »
Thank s for the feedback, i was following your dryads with interest (i too will go down the same route) after i completed painting my dwarfs. I'm not brave enough to tempt resin casting yet, instead I'm going to experiment with xps buildings . Not sure how it will work at 10mm but I'll give it a go, and start posting up if it works.. interested to see how your stuff came out so please keep posting (with pics)

Offline Blindhorizon

« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2017, 02:30:50 AM »
Post me a picture of this figure you can’t cast, I’ll see if I can do it. I may be able to cast using your molds even. You don’t need a vacuum, but for little things you do need pressure. I’ve only ever used a pressure pot and have people said my home casts are on par with forgeworld... don’t know if that’s good or not though.