October 02, 2024, 07:12:43 PM

Author Topic: 6mm Fantasy - an End Times project  (Read 2693 times)

Offline Grumbledook

• Loc: Uk
    • It's a hobby, not an addiction
6mm Fantasy - an End Times project
« on: February 04, 2018, 09:26:32 PM »
As may have been noticed on some of my previous efforts to do a project I've a real love for the old Warhammer world. I've nothing against AoS, in fact I keep being tempted by (and occasionally succumbing to) the lure of shiny, new, snazzy miniatures....... but for some reason I can never get stuck into it properly. I really enjoyed the End Times books, particularly the exhaustive lists of units and characters (as well as the exhaustive list of destroyed and murdered units and characters) which were often given backgrounds with plenty of flavour and even a hint of wry, dark humour.

I've decided to have a go at representing some of the armies and units, immortalised in print, at 6mm scale from the always lovely Microworld Games.

Here are the first few units of my Chaos army:

So there we are, five units so far which is uncharacteristically prolific for me!

I've put the units on 10cm x 5cm movement trays for convenience, the figures themselves are mounted on 4cm x 1cm strips so they can be reasonably versatile if needed. Mounting them on these thin strips makes them nice and easy to paint too!

More on the way soon.

Thanks for looking.

Offline industrialtrousers

• Loc: Londinium
Re: 6mm Fantasy - an End Times project
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 07:21:20 AM »
They great. Love the look of the Microworld fantasy stuff and you've made an excellent job of them. I've been looking at getting some in but not got around to justifying the expense as yet.

10/10 Grumbler.

Offline Aquahog

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 08:41:22 PM »
Looking sharp! I did some MWG orcs for my Epic Feral Orks and recall them being a pleasure to paint. On 40x10 bases as well I think. Hm...

Offline marell le fou

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 08:57:56 PM »
Impressive work. I love the bases. They really give a dimension to your nice painting job.

Some figs are well aligned, and some not. I do prefer when they are not, just for information.

Offline Stormwind

• Veteran member
  • Ben Sibbald | Newcastle, UK
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 10:20:18 PM »
Looking good!
My Personal & Modelling Blog >>http://theancienttrack.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Grumbledook

• Loc: Uk
    • It's a hobby, not an addiction
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 10:32:34 PM »
Thanks for the feedback all! The Microworld figures are are great to paint since they are somewhat exaggerated, buuuuuut they do end up costing quite a bit especially when you forget about the import/customs costs. That was an unpleasant surprise. Still, it was an impulse bulk purchase which should keep me going for a couple of years!

The 1cm deep bases are a compromise since I find basing pretty tedious, particularly when in double ranks, this means they're relatively easy to paint and texture, but there's not much wiggle room - for example with the crossbows. I agree they look better a little bit less regimented.

If anyone has any ideas for 6mm scale evil knights please let me know, the Microworld barbarian and knight mounts are huge and don't really fit with the rest of the figures.

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2018, 12:08:04 PM »
How about these
http://www.perfectsixscenics.co.uk/6mm-order-of-the-dragon.html
There's also some knights in the bacchus ranges.

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2018, 12:13:50 PM »
Irregular evil knights is another one.