September 28, 2024, 06:21:23 AM

Author Topic: Discussion around Rock Lobbers  (Read 6747 times)

Offline empireaddict

• Loc: UK East Midlands
Re: Discussion around Rock Lobbers
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2016, 05:01:39 PM »
I would price an Orc Rock Lobber at 50 points.  Single stand so risky for break point.  And the firepower effect, although different in execution and range, is comparable to a Dwarf Flame Cannon or Helblaster.
"I cannot believe you when you say [your friend] has identical plastic boxes for his armies, all color coded [...] Don't you think that is being little obsessive?"
"Yes, but not enough to scare us wargamers."
Larry Leadhead (2004)

Offline Geep

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2016, 08:56:44 AM »
A somewhat random addition to the conversation, but:

When the Brettonain Trebuchet was looking at for the tournament lists is was moved down from 150pts to 100pts, changed to 1 per 1000pts and now delivers a much more viable package. For 200pts you can get 8 shots with range 80cms, they can even shoot indirectly. Have they broken the game? I would argue they are much more viable whilst still not being overpowered.
The Brettonian Trebuchet underwent a massive overhaul in the tournament list, dropping from 6 attacks to 4 in addition to everything else you've stated above. To look at the 33% points reduction it gained and decide that this should apply to all rock lobbers is a using a poor base for comparison.

I find rock lobbers to be great when fielded in pairs, giving Orcs some range that they usually lack. 150pts to, on average, destroy one stand of enemy heavy armour at a range of 60cm is worth it for me.

Offline kyussinchains

• Mod
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2016, 05:29:06 PM »
I find rock lobbers to be great when fielded in pairs, giving Orcs some range that they usually lack. 150pts to, on average, destroy one stand of enemy heavy armour at a range of 60cm is worth it for me.

I like this way of thinking

the choice may be sub-optimal,  but it's still useful in the context of the list

I do find the warmaster lists a bit strange in that units appear to be costed in isolation and don't take in-list synergy into account.... if someone developed stats for the chaos hellcannon, should it be costed in line with artillery-heavy armies like dwarfs or empire, or should it be costed with the fact that it's sitting in an army with the toughest infantry and toughest knights in the game, and being able to soften up targets at range makes those units even more potent...

the high elf dragon is specifically overcosted so its inclusion is a theme rather than skew choice, it can be effective but it's sub-optimal, I view the rock lobber in the same light
Best 6mm site on the net: Tactical command forum

my hobby blog: full of 6mm goodness

Home of Epic: Armageddon on the web

Offline Aldhick

• The End is nigh
    • Loc: Czech Republic
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2016, 06:36:43 PM »
yes, it is stated somewhere, that especially monsters are shlightly overpriced so they don't become "must take" option but rather "flavour" option. Rock lobber fits into this line for O&G list well imo.
WM - Toomb Kings
My Mordheim guys (and gals)
http://boringmordheimforum.forumieren.com/t2734-aldhick-s-gangs

Offline honestmistake

• Tentacles make everything better!
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2016, 02:54:15 AM »
I'd like to see the Stonethrower changed to 4 attacks but ALWAYS needing a 5 or 6 to hit. They are not exactly accurate but if it does hit the target no amount of cover is really going to help ;)

Offline greenskinchief

• Loc: Saffron Walden
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2016, 03:34:58 PM »
as a seasoned OnG player I think the rock lobber is great, that 3rd hit makes it resilient to ranged direct damage spells, reasonably priced for what it is, and I agree that the cannon is overpowered for its price ( never seen a dwarf army without one), maybe the ability to ignore defended should be removed from cannon or included for lobbers?

Offline Jurisch

• Karlsruhe, Germany
    • WARIMPERATOR
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2016, 12:07:19 PM »
Hi,

It is important always to watch the whole army list. O&G have the Big advantage to get a high BP using 30p Goblins.
On a single unit comparsion there is a big risk that armies get overpowered. For my feeling O&G have a good balance and generally artillery within 1000 points armies is not the best solution from my point of view.

Cheers and happy new year!

Jurisch
Armies ready for battle - Empire, Chaos, Dwarves, Skaven, Bretonia, Araby, Witch Hunters
Armies in recruitment - Orcs & Goblins, High Elves, Dogs of war