September 09, 2024, 08:19:34 AM

Author Topic: Appocalypse or Victory?  (Read 4719 times)

Offline connahr

• Loc: shropshire
Appocalypse or Victory?
« on: April 20, 2016, 09:59:36 PM »
so i'm thinking of getting another battleship. Both the apocalypse and victory appeal to me, I think for the Victory I would take the options to replace the NC with torps and downgrade the range of the lances to up the firepower, meaning it's still got a good punch at a decent range and its faster than the apocalypse. But the Apocalypse has better range with the same decent firepower.

But has anyone got any experience using either of these ships? are they really worth it?

the other option I've been eyeing up is the Terra class from ASC
theres no such thing as over kill, its just making sure

Offline Bozeman

• Loc: Lansing, MI
    • Four Strands Hobby
Re: Appocalypse or Victory?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 04:25:03 AM »
The Apocalypse class makes Necrons and Space Marines strongly consider purchasing 365 pairs of underwear so as not to reuse ones that they have filled with terror-feces.  Also, there's an actual model and it looks fantastic.  The Apocalypse is also used in two great lists.  The Victory is only used in one (admittedly fantastic) list, but it is a bit more reliable and has the torpedo option, and more options means more flexibility.  However, it does have 2 fewer lances on each side, which reduces the intimidation factor.

To be honest, they're both good.  Choose one of the fleet lists that tickles your fancy.  The Segmentum Solar lets you mix in Space Marines without having to resort to Allies.  The Segmentum Obscurus Bastion list lets you take Grand Cruisers and even Chaos ships if you want!  Finally, the Segmentum Tempestus list lets you have turrets galore, Lord Admiral Rath, and Admech ships.

Pick one of these lists, and then your choice of Battleship will be clear.

Do you own any other battleships?  Choose a fleet that lets you take as many of your ships as possible without using Reserves.  Taking a Battleship as a Reserve is only an option for the largest games (as you need to take 3 battleships to take one as a reserve).

Offline connahr

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 07:44:23 AM »
I've already got an emperor and a retribution (one of the last made!), figured the heavy gunship and carrier combo would work well. Plus I just want more battleships A. for flexibility in choosing my fleet. B I like the models. C cruiser clash......with just battleships

Offline Bozeman

• Loc: Lansing, MI
    • Four Strands Hobby
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2016, 12:34:05 AM »
Go with the Apocalypse, get some Grand Cruisers, and then you can use the Solar or Obscurus Bastion lists for maximum flexibility.  In addition, don't discount the old Obscurus list from the Gothic main rulebook, as it's one of the best ways to take the Dominator class cruiser, which has the cheapest Nova Cannon in the game (190 pts vs. 200 for a Lunar with a Nova Cannon).

Offline connahr

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2016, 11:18:13 PM »
mmmmm

you make a compelling argument for the apocalypse, I think that segmentum solar might be the route I go down

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
  • Destiny Infinity Eternity
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2016, 08:11:48 PM »
The Apocalypse is a cool unique vessel. But since I see fewer Victory's you should do that. lol.

Offline connahr

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2016, 04:34:23 PM »
true

well I've decided to go for the victory, I might come up with an experimental fleet list to post on here for feed back/balancing tips

Offline Backfire

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2016, 08:02:12 PM »
I've got an Apocalypse but it hasn't been a great performer yet. I tend to think that Lance battleships aren't so great unless you're facing lots of 6+ armour. An Oberon has broadside of 2 lances and 16 Batteries at 45cm. For most purposes that is as good as Apocalypses' broadside AND Oberon has attack craft. There is Nova cannon, sure, but IMO it's not so great in a battleship.
Of course there's the upside that Apocalypse doesn't have to use orders on Reloard ordnance.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 08:06:26 PM by Backfire »

Offline connahr

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2016, 08:18:01 PM »
the Oberon dose tempt me, but eh lack of heavy prow armour puts me off.......next time

I think i'm going to end up with one of each battleship at some point, but i'm ok with that, I like battleships

Offline Atlan

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2016, 08:34:20 PM »
Hi!
Have you ever played with or against the Chaos Desolator class battleship? For this would be a good comparison for the Victory class torpedo Variant.
But I would take the Appocalypse.  You simply get the better broadside. If you compare the Firepower difference with the point-difference,...(ok firepower isn't everything, but anyway.)

As you mentioned the Terra class: I would also consider that one! I know it's quite expensive, but it overcomes almost every other ships firepower. I had to face one of them with my Chaos fleet twice and it caused me a lot of trouble in both games.

Offline connahr

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2016, 11:04:44 PM »
Terra is definitely on the list of future acquisitions, along with an Oberon

For now I'm going to go with the Victory and give it the reduced range and torp options. An apocalypse seems good, if the victory doesn't work out very well in games then I'll green stuff the torp tubes out and stick a nova cannon on the prow

Thanks everyone for your input

Offline Gothmog Lord of Balrogs

• Lord of the Seven
    • Sepulchre of Heroes
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2016, 09:02:18 AM »
Terras are great and really work horses just like their little brother Lunars.
"Give me a thousand men crazy enough to conquer Hell and we shall do it!"
www.sepulchreofheroes.blogspot.com
sepulchreofheroes@gmail.com

Offline connahr

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2016, 11:43:49 AM »
yeah after further thought and looks at the stats, I've decided this one will be built as a terra, almost as much lance based doom and more firepower in a broadside (assuming you use the dorsal lances in a single broadside) at the same range as a reduced range but increased firepower victory.

and having looked at he BFG:R rules for the apocalypse, I think one of those will be acquired at some point.

I read somewhere that stuff from aliexpress isn't really to be mentioned on the forum, but its not bad quality, needed some pinning, trimming and filing, but overall I can't complain.

the battleship squadron of doom is slowly forming