October 02, 2024, 07:18:50 AM

Author Topic: heroquest rules integrated into warmaster campaign  (Read 3569 times)

Offline cjbennett22

• Loc: Grand Rapids, Michigan
heroquest rules integrated into warmaster campaign
« on: October 31, 2015, 01:02:54 AM »
I have to believe someone has done this

I am trying to figure out a very simple way of integrating heroquest into a warmaster campaign using mighty empires using the rules from rick priestley for the original card punchouts but with the newer 3d versions. 

I THINK before the deployment each year that you take your heroes out on a quest, not the general, and see what you can pick up.  I'm eager to share what I have as I think I am close to done BUT I would love to see what else has been shared for a few more ideas.  Oh and "killed" heroes can be carried out of the dungeons and just roll on the wound chart for the warmaster campaign effects

My final joygasm comes from thinking about a character duel during the warmaster battles using the heroquest characters.  though the combat would be simple I think it would be really fun.  I think it could work and I have put a month into thinking about it and have collected my things to try a game this weekend or next.

I have gathered a lot of info and help from the heroquest forum below.  I have a few linked websites but nothing yet on tying it to any other game like warhammer fantasy or anything.

Offline Geep

Re: heroquest rules integrated into warmaster campaign
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2015, 12:04:03 PM »
That sounds very interesting. I don't know the Heroquest rules, and haven't heard of it being integrated before. Please keep us updated on any games played.

I don't know what you mean by 'the Heroquest forum below'?

Offline cjbennett22

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2015, 03:19:35 PM »
at the home page, there is a forum down near the bottom for the heroquest dungeon crawl games.

I am doing the original rules of heroquest, its a very basic fighting combat rules system.  I like keeping it simple.

I'm trying not to do a leveling system like with a basic d&d game but merely some warmaster bonus'.  Then I am trying not to make the heroes overpowering, but if they do then maybe I can make the dueling stuff to make it easier to kill a hero in combat.

Offline cjbennett22

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2015, 03:29:09 PM »
as it turns out wizards actually could kick ass in a duel (I was afraid they would be really frail).  Using the Heroquest rules of automatic spell casting and the fact that each wizard is going to carry a spell that is nearly a sure kill.  I actually had to invoke a spell cast rule just like in the warmaster command phase.  roll 2d6 against your mind points, a roll of equal or less can cast the spell so 50% chance at casting a spell.  I think after my game last night I will start writing up my rules supplement and finish it.  It was a success and I really enjoyed it. 

I think strategically it will change the warmaster battle in just the fact that it becomes pretty dicey to put a wizard out in front to disrupt troop movement as he can be picked off in a duel with the hero leading the men forward.  OR the wizard will win the duel and REALLY disrupt troop movement.  Plus, I'm excited now I get to build a miniature arena to conduct the duels in  lol

Offline Dreadaxe

• Loc: Aubière (France - 63)
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2015, 03:41:16 PM »
I have to believe someone has done this

I am trying to figure out a very simple way of integrating heroquest into a warmaster campaign using mighty empires using the rules from rick priestley for the original card punchouts but with the newer 3d versions. 

I THINK before the deployment each year that you take your heroes out on a quest, not the general, and see what you can pick up.  I'm eager to share what I have as I think I am close to done BUT I would love to see what else has been shared for a few more ideas.  Oh and "killed" heroes can be carried out of the dungeons and just roll on the wound chart for the warmaster campaign effects

My final joygasm comes from thinking about a character duel during the warmaster battles using the heroquest characters.  though the combat would be simple I think it would be really fun.  I think it could work and I have put a month into thinking about it and have collected my things to try a game this weekend or next.

I have gathered a lot of info and help from the heroquest forum below.  I have a few linked websites but nothing yet on tying it to any other game like warhammer fantasy or anything.

I have this type of rule on my harddrive for Warhammer Quest. Are you interesting?
Dreadaxe
Groups.io - https://groups.io/g/manowar-fr

Offline cjbennett22

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2015, 03:42:32 PM »
yes please, you can pm me.

Thank you!

Offline cjbennett22

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2015, 01:49:59 AM »
I finally finished typing something up.  If you want, when you are done reading them, let me know what you think.  This is not the finished, set in stone, kind of rules as they are mostly untested.  They coincide with the ME rules revised by Helge Seetzen in 2001 that does not have the orc on the cover page.

I mean I have "tested" but not in a big campaign like it is intended so I'm sure that would bring up situations that I didn't think of while just playing some quests and practicing some hero duels.

Thanks everyone!  This is it for me, I swear I wont try to ruin any other games!  LOL

Offline jchaos79

• Veteran member
    • Loc: Vigo, Galicia, Spain
    • Fortunes of war
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2015, 09:45:25 PM »
Nice rules and great character sheet.

Offline cjbennett22

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2015, 01:55:27 AM »
thanks, they're simple.  :)

I have seen other fan rules on the internet and just got lost in the craziness.  I love the advanced heroquest fighting mechanics but it's too AD&D to me so I just left it mostly untouched.

It was really hard to make rules for the special items and the heroes themselves.  I didn't want to over power the game with these massive beasts of heroes.  I also didn't want warriors being able to just challenge everything and win every duel, the wizards can actually hold their own in a fight with some spells.

Every games workshop book I read about, there is a huge one on one fight somewhere in it and so I tried to see if I could do that myself.

I have a lot of painting and other work to do before my next large campaign begins to really test it out but i'll get there.  I'm confident.  Hope some one else can use them and get some games in as well.

thanks again.