October 17, 2024, 10:36:30 PM

Author Topic: Stripping IN ships  (Read 2238 times)

Offline jodrell

• Lurker
    • Jodrell.net
Stripping IN ships
« on: January 19, 2015, 10:26:28 AM »
I've been thinking about repainting my IN fleet. But I'm not sure how the plastic IN cruisers will react to being stripped.

I normally use Dettol which is generally pretty good but can leave stringy bits of paint clinging to the model, which have to be manually removed. Given all the inny-outy bits on the IN ships, particularly the launch bays, I'm worried that stripping them will result in models better suited to the Plague Fleets!

Any tips and advice?

Offline Geep

Re: Stripping IN ships
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 10:40:07 AM »
I tend to strip plastic with a thing called Simple Green. In Australia it can be found in hardware stores, I don't know about the rest of the world. I usually leaves things to soak for about 2 days, then give it a good scrub with a toothbrush. If it's really bad, resoak and repeat. I can usually get things pretty spotless.

I don't know what Dettol does to plastic- never tried it.

Offline jodrell

• Lurker
    • Jodrell.net
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 11:20:50 AM »
Thanks Geep. I'm in the UK so Simple Green isn't easy to get hold of. I'm not so worried about what I use to strip the paint, but how well the IN ships respond to being stripped (as in, the recesses are too deep to completely remove all the paint).

Offline Jimmy Zimms

• Beshert is Beshert
    • Loc: World Traveler
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 01:38:47 PM »
I've left plastic cruisers in simple green for over a week with no ill effect. The hard part is making sure you get in the nooks and crannies so having a pick or other tools is handy sometimes
As we Imperials say, "The Emperor [class battleship] Protects..."

Offline Bessemer

• Loc: UK
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 03:43:29 PM »
@Jodell- I also live in the UK, and have just discovered the joys of Fairy Power Spray! Spray liberally and wait 30 mins or so before taking a toothbrush to it. It can take a couple of goes to get into the nooks and crannies. Doesn't seem to cut through the spray undercoat though.

I would have posted a photo, but my phones spazzing out. >:( Will try when it starts behaving.

Edit!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 08:46:25 PM by Bessemer »
I refuse to be killed by something I've never heard of.