August 02, 2024, 03:23:43 PM

Author Topic: basing fighters and other ordinace  (Read 2257 times)

Offline edgar1st@aol.com

• Loc: LONDON
basing fighters and other ordinace
« on: January 02, 2015, 01:09:34 PM »
Hi Guys

new to BFG and on reading the rules, new rules etc. I cannot see if there is a preferred / correct way to base ordinance as in the original rules it shows long thin basing, but with the new pdf paper version the base is square is there an agreed latest version how to do this or was there a link discussing this I have missed?

thanks in advance

Paul

Offline Righteous Retribution

• Loc: London
Re: basing fighters and other ordinace
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 01:59:09 PM »
Hi Paul,

Fairly new to getting my BFG games up and running as well. As far as I am aware and what I gathered from it is that all ordnance goes on a 20mm x 20mm base with a dice to indicate the strength of the ordnance is how I've seen and read the rules. So far I use the squares for fighters n bombers and am working on squares for my torpedos

Hope this helps

Peter
"The Emperor is master of the galaxy, but a captain is master of his ship"

Offline Pix

• Loc: France
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 07:22:52 AM »
Hi guys,
so about the ordinance size base, it's more a convention than an official rule.

A lot of player are now using 20x20 mm base for them.

In the BFG box, the cardboard tokens where squared, but it's true we can see some long bases for some ordinance inside the rulebook. It was mainly motivated by the size of the round base on the fighter and bombers miniatures, fitting the Epic base.

And about the dice, i think you were reading the BFG.R edition (R for Revised).
It's a very different way too play the ordinance. You don't play one token by ordinance ont the table when you send a wave, but only one token with a dice showing how many crafts is inside this wave. It's the same for torpedoes in this edition.

Offline Dono1979

• Loc: Canberra
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 10:25:15 PM »
It depends on what ruleset you are using, if you are using the FAQ 2010:

Attack Craft:
Attack craft are represented by 20mm square markers. When used in a wave, they must be spread and moved so they are always in contact with each other, and they cannot be stacked.
Attack craft waves must be assembled into the smallest circumference possible, such as a block of four, two rows of three, etc. For example, a single wave of eight ordnance markers cannot be stretched out into a single-file line eight markers long. On the other hand, individual markers not in a wave can be organized in any formation desired as long as no single marker moves farther from its launching vessel than its maximum possible movement.
Once separated, attack craft markers cannot be re-combined into waves.

Torpedoes:
A torpedo salvo (regardless of strength) is now represented with a Strength 3 marker with one or more D6 indicating the actual salvo strength. For specific dimensions, this marker should be no more than 2.5cm wide. Place the torpedo marker at the end of its movement in the turn of launch so that it is completely within the correct fire arc. Now retrace the markers movement, reducing its strength and conducting ordnance interactions as appropriate to prevent targeting vessels out of fire arc due to proximity,