July 31, 2024, 05:22:10 PM

Author Topic: Boarding torpedoes vs Assault boats  (Read 4186 times)

Offline Daemon_Primarch_Lorgar

• Loc: Stockholm
Boarding torpedoes vs Assault boats
« on: May 21, 2013, 05:05:22 PM »
Hello again! I just had a quick question regarding boarding torpedoes and assault boats. I must have missed something, but I dont understand in what way boarding torpedoes are ever better than assault boats? Assault boats can turn freely, are not killed all at once if hit by a fighter, doesn't get hurt at all by other torpedoes, doesn't have to roll against the attacked ships armor to score a hit and run raid and are just as fast. Am I missing something here? The only thing they have going for them (as I can see) is not filling up your attack craft limit.

Offline afterimagedan

• Loc: Chicago IL, USA
Re: Boarding torpedoes vs Assault boats
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 05:12:13 PM »
There are usually more boarding torpedoes and they can continue through to hit other enemies.

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 05:21:18 PM »
Ahh I see, thank you for the clarification afterimagedan :). One more question. I think almost all the Chaos ships that have torpedoes have boarding torpedoes as well. The Despoiler can upgrade its prow armament for a strength 9 torpedo salvo, but it doesn't say anything about boarding torpedoes. Is it meant to be just regular torpedoes or is it an oversight?

Offline Armiger84

• Loc: Boston, MA
    • De Bellis Futuris
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 05:44:12 PM »
The fleet lists should say that all Chaos launch bays have fighters, bombers, and assault boats, and that all Chaos ships armed with torpedoes have regular and boarding.  The notes should be there in the Blue Book & Armada at least.

You're also not considering the devil's bargain option of threatening someone with maneuverable boarding torpedoes and bombers/assault boats at once.  They can only pick one to use turrets against.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 05:45:59 PM by Armiger84 »
My modelling blog:  http://armiger84.blogspot.com

Offline afterimagedan

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 05:56:44 PM »
BFG:R Chaos on page 32 has it. Glad you brought it up!

Offline afterimagedan

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 06:00:14 PM »
Desolator can have 6 ABs and 9 BTs. Also consider that turrets have a harder time with boarding torpedoes because one turret only kills 1 torpedo and one turret can only kill 1 assault boat. Assault boats are more powerful than one boarding torpedo but turrets get more bang for their buck again them. Also consider 1 fighter can take out 9 torpedoes and yet only 1 assault boat.

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
  • Destiny Infinity Eternity
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 06:53:14 PM »
Desolator 6 Ab's?
Eh, what?

Offline Bessemer

• Loc: UK
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 06:55:52 PM »
I think he means the BFGR version. Swaps 2 LB when giving it torps. ;)
I refuse to be killed by something I've never heard of.

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
  • Destiny Infinity Eternity
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2013, 07:02:26 PM »
Despoiler then I assume. ;)

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2013, 07:18:02 PM »
I was talking about the Despoiler in this case :). Ok now I get it, every ship with torpedoes has boarding torpedoes as well, good.
Only one more thing, sorry about that, what is the cost for CSM crew in the Abaddon's 13th Black Crusade fleet list? It says on the other ones (I assume the Gothic sector fleet list aren't supposed to be able to take CSM crew?), but they are not the same cost in all the other lists so some clarification could perhaps be appropriate? I know a Warmaster or Lord (but not aspiring champions?) counts as a CSM crew as well, but is the cost really included in the 50pts (or 75pts for a lord)? Seams like a good deal when the renegade fleet needs to pay 35pts for just the CSM crew. Or am I misunderstanding something again ;)?

Offline afterimagedan

Re: Re: Boarding torpedoes vs Assault boats
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2013, 09:18:03 PM »

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2013, 02:56:23 PM »
I assume the points cost is 25/CSM crew and its included in the warmaster/lord then :).

Offline Armiger84

• Loc: Boston, MA
    • De Bellis Futuris
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2013, 03:09:46 PM »
No actually it isn't and hasn't been.  Chaos Space Marines are a separate +35 point upgrade that adds +1 leadership, shifts the ship's (and commander upgrade's) leadership to a maximum of 10, improves boarding actions and hit & run attacks, increases planetary assault points, and depending upon the fleet list might also allow you to swap attack craft for thunderhawks and open up access to Marks of Chaos for some fleets.

This isn't included in the Chaos Warmaster/Lord upgrade (you can have human champions of chaos and not just traitor astartes) in the Armada book 13th Black Crusade list (nor the BFG:R lists), but is a separate purchase per ship.
My modelling blog:  http://armiger84.blogspot.com

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2013, 04:35:17 PM »
Ahh I see, thank you Armiger84. I got a little confused when I read the CSM crew special rules:

"Any capital ship can be designated as having a Chaos
Space Marine crew at the points cost indicated in the
army list. The ship will be subject to the Chaos Space
Marine special rules. If the ship contains the Warmaster or a
Lord then you can assume that he is also a Chaos Space
Marine."

But I get the intention now with the leadership.

However, shouldn't the point cost of 35pts for upgrading to a CSM crew be included in the Abaddon's 13th Black Crusade fleet list as well, seeing it's included for all the other fleet lists (except Gothic Sector Incursion fleet list)?

Offline afterimagedan

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2013, 05:23:58 PM »
Fixed.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 05:26:24 PM by afterimagedan »