August 10, 2024, 06:25:35 AM

Author Topic: Come to a New Heading on Slow Battleships  (Read 2925 times)

Offline Carrelio

• Loc: Toronto, ON, Canada
Come to a New Heading on Slow Battleships
« on: March 12, 2013, 05:39:46 AM »
I recently started playing BFG at my local GW. I've been reading through the rules, and was specifically looking at the orders section. I noticed that under the 'come to a new heading' order it says that a ship is still restricted in its turning by it's type, so if a cruiser moves 10cm and turns, it must move another 10cm before it may turn again.

But what happens with something like a Tau Battleship (the Explorer). It only has a movement of 15cm, and it needs the full 15cm to get its turn in. Does this mean it can't possibly come to a new heading?

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
  • Destiny Infinity Eternity
Re: Come to a New Heading on Slow Battleships
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 06:51:39 AM »
Correct, no CTNH possible for battleships. In most cases this is also stated in the grey box under the ship profiles.

Offline Carrelio

• Loc: Toronto, ON, Canada
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 12:21:45 AM »
Thanks Horizon  :) This news really does make Tau pretty unmaneuverable...

Offline afterimagedan

• Loc: Chicago IL, USA
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 01:57:28 AM »
Thanks Horizon  :) This news really does make Tau pretty unmaneuverable...

Maybe in some of their ships, but they make up for it in torpedoes that turn!  ;D

Offline Sigoroth

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 11:53:10 AM »
Actually, there are some refits that make it possible for a slow BB to use CTNH. If an Emperor class battleship, say, had the Manoeuvring Thrusters refit (-5cm to minimum move distance before turning) and the Auxiliary Power Relays refit (+5cm speed) then it could, theoretically, use CTNH successfully since it now has 20cm maximum speed and only requires 10cm to turn. Unfortunately it specifically states in its rules that an Emperor class battleship can't use CTNH (no IN, SM, Chaos, Ork or 'Nid BB can).

It doesn't say that an Explorer can't though. So if an Explorer were to gain the two refits mentioned above then it could actually use CTNH.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 05:49:09 AM by Sigoroth »

Offline AndrewChristlieb

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 02:07:21 PM »
Pretty long streach on that tho so your probably better off sticking to Burn Retros if your needing to turn that bad anyway.
I don't make the rules, I just think them up and write them down.

Offline Mallich

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 07:19:53 PM »
Pretty long streach on that tho so your probably better off sticking to Burn Retros if your needing to turn that bad anyway.
It's slightly more likely for the Adeptus Mechanicus battleships to get to that point (due to their many refits/improvements), but they're still explicitly forbidden from using the Come to Near Heading. Same kind of thing for the chaos Desolator class battleship (it has a base speed of 25 cm). The (unofficial) "Ork Clanz" PDF list allows you to choose "soopa boostas" (+5 speed, 4d6 on All Ahead Full) gubbins and the Evil Sunz clan (+5 speed), giving an ork battleship a speed of 30 cm... but in all of those cases they're still forbidden from coming to a new heading.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 07:21:24 PM by Mallich »