July 18, 2024, 08:24:43 PM

Author Topic: [WM][Wood elves] Building blog  (Read 2948 times)

Offline WarGamer

• Haroith
    • Loc: World
Re: [WM][Wood elves] Building blog
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2023, 06:16:44 AM »
I do not clearly remember, will try to search in history logs. Nevertheless stumps and logs are so generic, there are a LOT of them. No need to look for particular ones.
Larger one is called 'old tree spirit', STL is free: https://www.myminifactory.com/object/3d-print-old-tree-spirit-56232
Smaller one is from Drunken Dwarf: https://www.myminifactory.com/object/3d-print-stump-206197 Collection 'Dark Forest'. I have also taken ents from there, they are easily scaled to 10mm treemen and treekin.
Just like props, there are so many different ents and other walking trees, they are so easy to scale to 10mm (they have no thin parts), so after an hour you will think 'which of them do I want to include in my army this week' instead of 'where can I find unusual minis'.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2023, 07:20:41 AM by WarGamer »
Haroith

Offline WarGamer

• Haroith
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2023, 07:16:16 PM »
New regiment and they are very special guests here. Before current Revolution-edition Warmaster wood elves list requires 3 units of archers per 1000pts. How could I make them different and interesting? Hey, armybook said that Lumpin Croop's Fighting Cocks used to join wood elves. Moreover I had them in my 28mm WE army. Only one problem was here: WarpMinis made halflings with crossbows, but I needed archers. And today I have unique halflings! They can count as ordinary archers (who can stop me?), or they can be Famous Mercenaries with fresh version of rules. After Forest Dragon's minis they feel simple detailed, but it is still hard to paint orange jackets.
Haroith

Offline andys

• Loc: UK
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2023, 03:01:25 PM »
Very nice! Where did you get them please, as miniatures or STLs?

Offline WarGamer

• Haroith
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2023, 04:37:32 PM »
Very nice! Where did you get them please, as miniatures or STLs?
Many thanks! Those STLs belong to me. I thought about making an account on Cults3d or Myminifactory, but first I need to reanimate my PayPal. Moreover some other remixes wait for their time to be painted. =}
« Last Edit: July 27, 2023, 10:04:38 PM by WarGamer »
Haroith

Offline andys

• Loc: UK
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2023, 07:23:11 PM »
I'd love to buy then if possible please.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2023, 08:17:37 PM by andys »

Offline WarGamer

• Haroith
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2023, 10:37:11 PM »
Required minimum is ready. 10mm version of a highborn will act as my general. One of the best miniatures GW ever produced: those hair on the face, such contemptuous glance, flowing cloak. Why not Orion? He remained in Athel Loren and did not follow the Lost Kindred.
Waywatcher noble is a cheap companion, only 80pts. However I feel I will include her just for the stern owl on the base.
Haroith

Offline WarGamer

• Haroith
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2023, 03:29:46 PM »
Usually I don't post WIP's, but today I need some help. In the old edition's WHFB armybooks there were wood elves animal keepers or beastmasters. Their regiment consisted of a master and some different animals/beasts. So, the idea is to proxy a Wild Hunt regiment by 3 stands with beastmasters. In fact it will be much better than 4 equal units of deer-riders.
Which 3 stands do you prefer to choose?
1. Hounds from celtic range.
2. Boars.
3. Small bears.
4. Big bear.
5. Panthers.
6. Wargs 1 from vampire range.
7. Wargs 2.
The unit consists of 3 stands, so please try to choose 3 different numbers. 
Beastmasters are replaceable.
Haroith

Offline Dave

• Mod
    • Loc: Worcester, MA
    • The Epic Gamer
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2023, 04:05:18 PM »
I'd go with hounds, boars and/or panthers.

Offline WarGamer

• Haroith
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2023, 09:30:59 PM »
The fourth unit of archers with bushes as fillers. Yes, they are fourth, halflings count as archers too. One of the quickest and easiest units to paint because of bushes (drybrush and some red leaves), and actually 9 of 15 warriors were already painted earlier.
Haroith

Offline WarGamer

• Haroith
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2024, 12:46:46 PM »
The second and the last unit of Dryads, at least for now. Minimum requirement for the 2000 standard is ready. As you can see on the last photo they are just the same height as FD dryads. They can be counted as 5th edition 'big' dryads with the 'oak' upgrade or just 'elite' regiment.
All the boring infantry is done at last, now it's time for cavalry and flyers!

Haroith

Offline WarGamer

• Haroith
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2024, 06:04:45 PM »
Someone asked me to make a family photo of the whole army. I think, it's time. Anyway I wanted to make a milestone record at some logical point. There is about 1500 pts army, minimum units for 2000 pts are done as well.
So, the left 3/4 is all done and completely ready. The owl's paw of the noble needs to be fixed, but it's so tiny thing.
The right 1/4 technically is painted, nevertheless they all need less or more attention. Some are just incomplete (like owl riders), some need rework or even replacement.

Haroith

Offline Stormwind

• Veteran member
  • Ben Sibbald | Newcastle, UK
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2024, 05:27:44 PM »
Gorgeous work! I love seeing wood elves.
My Personal & Modelling Blog >>http://theancienttrack.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline WarGamer

• Haroith
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2024, 08:40:33 PM »
Gorgeous work! I love seeing wood elves.
Many thanks! I highly appreciate that.
The job is still not done, 2000pts on the go. A WIP is here ->

WIP Voland’s Venators. Thanks to @minirat.studio for such amazing sculpts!
Yes, I know they should be in brass/golden armour. I think it doesn’t fit them. And I really hate awful golden paint.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2024, 03:12:39 PM by WarGamer »
Haroith

Offline WarGamer

• Haroith
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2024, 09:15:54 PM »
Simple and quick painted waystones. Yeap, when you travel for a very long time, you become more pragmatic than esthetic. No need to make ideal obelisks when you don't know how long you stay here or there.
Haroith