September 11, 2024, 10:20:37 AM

Author Topic: Strike Cruisers with Boarding Torpedoes? + SM List Help  (Read 2416 times)

Offline afterimagedan

• Loc: Chicago IL, USA
Strike Cruisers with Boarding Torpedoes? + SM List Help
« on: February 12, 2013, 08:40:59 PM »
Does anyone ever use these? I am having a hard time seeing why a SC with 3 boarding torpedoes is any batter than 2 THs.  I would love to find a use for this but am wavering a bit.

My only pros for using the torps over the THs is that I think there is some synergy with using them with THs because of the turret rules, allowing you to target only torps OR ordnance. So, if you hit a ship with THs, they would have to choose whether to use their turrets vs them or wait until the torpedoes are fired at them (that is IF they are fired at them).

But the THs don't have to roll against armor. This  is the main reason I am thinking of just going with all THs and no board torpedoes.

Here is a list I am currently working on.  I am trying to make them different from my Carcharodon SM fleet (which is very similar to Seahawk's list). The new list (may be Raptors or Salamanders or Dark Angels, I don't know, but they are green at the moment and need more painting), I would like to make them very H&R heavy.  I am not usually a fan of ordnance spamming because of the stigma against it and the fact that it actually isn't super effective in my book.  But, I would like to aim for a heavy amount in this list.

The list so far:
Fleet Master 50 + 2RR 50
Battle Barge 440 (normal one for the range and extra TH. Not interested in the Ultima for this list)

3 SC + shield, gun variant
-the main firepower bulk, Seahawk style (though less OP because BFG:R changes the BC swap to +3 instead of +5). I have used the squadron a couple times and love it. =480.  18BCs, 12 side batteries.

3 SC + shield, 3 side TH bays, 2 with switched boarding torps, the other with extra BC
-this has 1 gun variant to boost BC level to 12 instead of 9. This will allow them to be a bit more dual-purposed. =525. 12 BC, 6 THs, 6 BTs. (should I just make them all regular SCs +shield +side bays, giving this squadron 12THs, 9BC?)

5 Hunters 200

3 Nova + 3 Gladius 255
=2000. 12THs, 22 boarding torps.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 09:05:20 PM by afterimagedan »

Offline Seahawk

• Bombardment!
Re: Strike Cruisers with Boarding Torpedoes? + SM List Help
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 02:56:53 PM »
I don't play Revised, but I'd just stick with Thunderhawks if it's a choice between the two on a Strike Cruiser. Leave the torpedoes to the battle barge.

Offline harec

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 08:32:05 PM »
Boarding torps roll againts armour?   ??? could you show me the text in the reglament?
I am not telling you is not that but there is maybe a typo in the Spanish translation of the rulebook
I colaborate with a spanish blog called profanus40k.
http://profanus40k.blogspot.com.es/

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
  • Destiny Infinity Eternity
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 08:37:31 PM »
Yes, boarding torpedoes need to roll vs armour first, then the hit&run.
It is mentioned in the boarding torpedo entry in the rulebook, page 35 (advanced rules).

In short:
" boarding torps attack as normal torpedoes (roll turrets and to hit as normal), each succesfull hit makes a hit&run attack "

Offline harec

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 08:41:08 PM »
ok  ;), good to know I hate the translations to Spanish of GW they always have a lot of errors
I colaborate with a spanish blog called profanus40k.
http://profanus40k.blogspot.com.es/

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
  • Destiny Infinity Eternity
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 08:43:15 PM »
Therefor I am glad they didn't even bother a translation into Dutch. ;)

Offline afterimagedan

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 08:43:42 PM »
Does anyone know why the SC with 3 torps is the same points as the SC with 2 Thunderhawks? That seems to be a problem.

Offline AndrewChristlieb

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 11:59:54 PM »
Is a str 3 torp something from BFG-R? Because its str 6 in the FAQ2010.
I don't make the rules, I just think them up and write them down.

Offline afterimagedan

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2013, 12:57:13 AM »
Is a str 3 torp something from BFG-R? Because its str 6 in the FAQ2010.

Bingo, that's the problem. You are a lifesaver, my friend.