September 15, 2024, 12:13:57 AM

Author Topic: about karma...  (Read 3968 times)

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
  • Destiny Infinity Eternity
about karma...
« on: October 11, 2011, 07:06:37 AM »

Offline Zhukov

Re: about karma...
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 07:02:08 PM »

Gimmicks are great aren't they?

-Zhukov
I am Zukov's Klaw.

"Oh mah gawd its like a giant veil was just lifted off my face and the beautiful maiden before my eyes just turned into a hideous Ork with a giant, bloody choppa."

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
  • Destiny Infinity Eternity
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 03:58:26 AM »
Yeah, pretty great...

I would like to know who made sure that I gained -4 karma over night. Step forward and tell me what I am doing wrong. I mean, I like to learn from things if I mistakes.

If I am disliked that much I think I have to reconsider hosting GothiComp and handing it over to someone more popular.

Right?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 04:00:41 AM by horizon »

Offline AndrewChristlieb

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 04:30:28 AM »
I dont understand it really? I think it would just be better if, as horzion stated, people would just tell you if your doing something that they dont care for. Aside from that I only see this as something that people are going to abuse to irritate people they dont like arbitrarily. Now I'm not going to say that I follow every post Horizon makes, but I have not seen anything that would warrent any negative "karma". I am going off of the rough defination posted by Lex that states,
SMF has a mechanism called Karma, which allows Registered Users to give Karma to those people they think contribute to the forum and the hobby in general.
from this we can assume that negative "karma" would be when someone detracts from the forum and the hobby in general. Can we see to it that any personal feelings are worked out so that everyone can have a more enjoyable experence here? And if you do have a problem with someone and feel the need to hand out some negative "karma", do them a favor and let them know what it is they have done so it can be corrected in the future. Thank you.

I don't make the rules, I just think them up and write them down.

Offline Mycen

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 08:28:23 PM »
This whole karma thing is pretty new to me (I had been wondering what that means) but I don't think it's all that bad, and responding, "Why don't you just confront me directly?" misses the point.

Perhaps you are all superior enlightened beings, but I know that when someone confronts me about my behavior, my first response isn't "Oh, I'm sorry, I won't do it again," but, "Why do you think that was wrong?" If you've offended someone or they think you're not contributing in a positive way, having a dialogue about it with them means you can defend your actions, if only in your own mind. Sometimes the end result is that it doesn't make people think about things they could do better or differently, it just makes them think, "This idiot doesn't know what he's talking about."

I feel that the very fact that people seem so bothered by karma, and are so eager to call out those who gave negative scores, is an example of what I'm talking about. If you already feel that you are a positive contributor, why do you care so much? Karma just lets you know that, in someone's eyes, you're coming off a little strong, it's a reminder to watch what you say, because others are. It's not like people aren't going to take your posts seriously because you have bad karma.

It's not a big deal, really...

Offline RCgothic

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011, 07:59:28 AM »
There can't possibly be a good reason for Horizon to have accrued so much negative karma though, he's one of the most upstanding members of this forum.  ???

It almost looks like someone has a personal vendetta. You can accrue negative karma way faster that way than you an hope to gain it through natural processes.

Offline Thinking Stone

• Loc: The Great South Land of the Holy Spirit
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 06:00:24 AM »
Sorry Horizon,
Before I knew what the Karma thingy was, I clicked it on yours... but I balanced it, so now you have a +1 and a -1 for a total of: [insert appropriately absurd number here].

:)

Perhaps everyone just clicked the bad button without knowing what it was?

Just watch out for the Pink Elephant everyone, that's what my maths teacher used to say at school.... Although, it seems as if (according to my limited knowledge of Hindu religious customs, seeing as Christianity doesn't have Karma as such :) ) the universe should automatically balance your Karma rating, such that you would have zero Karma after a day or two. But at least with Karma, you won't accidentally spell it as 'Lick', with everyone thinking that you're some kind of crazy Chaos guy....

Seriously, however, I would like people to tell me (politely, please) if they don't like something I'm doing.

Stone of Thoughts (Thinking Stone)

Offline Mallich

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2011, 05:06:12 PM »
Sorry Horizon,
Before I knew what the Karma thingy was, I clicked it on yours... but I balanced it, so now you have a +1 and a -1 for a total of: [insert appropriately absurd number here].
:)
Perhaps everyone just clicked the bad button without knowing what it was?
It would have been better if they were called "Rolled a 6 (add karma)" and "Rolled a 1 (deduct karma)".
Huh. I did something similar (opening news tabs for "rolled a six" and "rolled a one" and trying to work out what the buttons did). However, you can't give both positive and negative karma for the same post - trying to do so only counts your most recent click (in my case, a "add karma" click). Otherwise, my chimp-like "working out what something does by doing it repeatedly rather than bothering to use the search button" would have probably got Horizon to where Horizon is now in under 30 seconds.
Besides, if it was just people clicking them in ignorance then it wouldn't just be Horizon with lots of negative points - the other users with lots of posts would have the same.

Offline skippy01

• Lurker
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2011, 07:30:11 AM »
horizon

As a lurker on this site i have always thought you are good value........looks bit like on BGG when space hulk was top of the pops then GW sends out nasty letters to people and space hulk is dissed into the cellar. You havent sent nasty letters to anyone? caused someone to lose the gothicomp? worn a yellow shirt on a tuesday etc etc.

maybe we could counter karma or employ indian contractors re-karma the de-karma(ed)?

skippy

Offline LuCarD

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 08:47:02 AM »
LOL.....

I was wondering what this "rolled 6" and "rolled 1" meant. So I have been randomly clicking on it to see what happend...   ::)

Offline Sigoroth

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2012, 01:29:30 PM »
LOL.....

I was wondering what this "rolled 6" and "rolled 1" meant. So I have been randomly clicking on it to see what happend...   ::)

Ah, I wondered where the hell all my positive karma came from. This explains it.  :o

Offline Thinking Stone

• Loc: The Great South Land of the Holy Spirit
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2012, 12:48:28 AM »
Don't worry Sigoroth, you do say reasonable things most of the time! Or people could just be feeling sorry for you. Your blue text is worth a point though!