October 28, 2024, 03:18:01 PM

Author Topic: Exotic Weapons - where are they?  (Read 4455 times)

Offline Myntokk

Exotic Weapons - where are they?
« on: November 03, 2009, 08:59:19 PM »
Hi all,

Don't have much experience with Inquisitor, but am thinking about getting a game started.  One question I have for you guys is, where can I find some more exotic weaponry (assuming it even exists)?

Xenos inquisitors seem to be popular in our group, so we may be running a campaign investigating something on the fringes of the Tau Empire, and I was wondering if there are profiles for weapons other than just the pulse pistol on the water caste character.

Secondarily, I'm also kind of interested the possibility of something involving the preamble to a tyranid invasion as a possible campaign idea down the line, and was wondering if there are any rules for biomorphs out there?  Antogonists would mostly be human cultists, but perhaps some actual tyranids could show up towards the end.

Lastly, and this is just curiosity on my part after seeing a cool 54mm pariah conversion - were necrons ever covered?  They seem like they might be a tad powerful for Inquisitor, but options are always good and I was kind of interested in what they would look like.

Offline Kaled

• `Twas brillig, and the slithy toves...
    • The Inquisitorial Archive
Re: Exotic Weapons - where are they?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 04:04:11 PM »
Don't have much experience with Inquisitor, but am thinking about getting a game started.  One question I have for you guys is, where can I find some more exotic weaponry (assuming it even exists)?
What do you call 'exotic'?  You could do what almost every Inquisitor player does when they want something unusual, and just make up some stats, run them past the GM/other players, use then in a couple of games and adjust them as necessary.  If you look around you ought to be able to find stats for almost every weapon that appears in 40k (and if you can't, then I'm sure you'll find loads of people with differing opinions about what the stats should be!).

Bear in mind that in most cases weapons such as shotguns, lasguns, stubbers etc are more than sufficient for most characters (a lasgun may be regarded as a mere flashlight in 40k, but in Inquisitor it's a good weapon).  Veteran players tend to limit the number of powerful weapons (bolt, power, plasma etc) in their warband as such things are easily capable of taking a character out of the game in one hit - and with just 3-4 characters per side, that can result in games being over very quickly.

Xenos inquisitors seem to be popular in our group, so we may be running a campaign investigating something on the fringes of the Tau Empire, and I was wondering if there are profiles for weapons other than just the pulse pistol on the water caste character.
There are profiles for pulse rifles and carbines in the Death of an Angel supplement, but again, there are plenty of rules out there that people have made up themselves.  I've got two characters with pulse carbines - an Inquisitor who worked undercover in the Gue'vesa and a Fire Caste 'Splinter Cell'-type operative -with slightly different rules for each.

Secondarily, I'm also kind of interested the possibility of something involving the preamble to a tyranid invasion as a possible campaign idea down the line, and was wondering if there are any rules for biomorphs out there?  Antogonists would mostly be human cultists, but perhaps some actual tyranids could show up towards the end.
No 'official' rules, but again there's nothing to stop you making some up.

Lastly, and this is just curiosity on my part after seeing a cool 54mm pariah conversion - were necrons ever covered?  They seem like they might be a tad powerful for Inquisitor, but options are always good and I was kind of interested in what they would look like.
I know people have made rules for them, but they're not really suited to the shadowy battle for the Emperor's soul - indeed, although I do have rules for my Pariah, he's never been used in a game.  Also, unless you plan to be a heretic and play at 28mm*, finding models for such characters is difficult...

As you haven't really played Inquisitor, it's worth pointing out that you would be best served by starting out with human characters (preferably fairly normal ones such as Guardsmen, Desperados, Enforcers etc) until you get used to the basic rules.  Then start to bring in the characters they work for - i.e. the Inquisitors, Rogue Traders etc; and only later when you have more experience, start to bring in the more unusual characters - Astartes, Eldar, Tau, Necrons, Enslavers, Daemons etc.

Hope that helps a little,
Dave

* And why would you given that 54mm is pretty cheap, there's a huge range of models and bits available, you can reuse almost all of your existing terrain and the larger models are just sooooo cool!
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

The Inquisitorial Gallery