September 12, 2024, 12:15:51 AM

Author Topic: SM Crusade and Domion Fleets  (Read 3637 times)

Offline wargame_insomniac

SM Crusade and Domion Fleets
« on: October 07, 2011, 02:15:55 PM »
Hi

I have been looking through old threads to see if there was any discussion about current SM Crusade and Dominion Lists, but I could nt find anything (please note that I don't mean the proposed experimental rules but the current Space Marines pdf).

Please can someone explain to me the purpose of the SM Crusade list. I understand that it it is to represent the more aggressive SM Chapters like Black Templars. But what benefits does it have compared to Codex Astartes SM Fleet List? Ignoring Fortress Monasteries, I can see the addition of Venerable SM Battlebarges and the restriction of no SM Rapid Strike Vessels. Is there anything else I have missed?

By contrast the SM Dominion Fleets seems to be all of the options available to Codex Astartes SM Fleet List plus Venerable SM Battlebarges and IN allies as reserves.

I maybe missing something but it seems you would never take Codex Astartes SM Fleet List. If you wanted Fortress Monasteries then you would take the Crusade List but otherwise you would take the Dominion List.

Thanks

James

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
  • Destiny Infinity Eternity
Re: SM Crusade and Domion Fleets
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 02:34:16 PM »
There is no official current Space Marines pdf. Official Marines is to be found in Armada (not for sale) or the armada pdf To Cleanse the Stars at the GW website.

This:
http://tinyurl.com/23nul8q
has the update to the old space marines pdf (which was never official). Here you will also find the FAQ2010 and more.

Jervis Johnson will hand out a cover note to FAQ/Compendium 2010 afaik.

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 02:45:31 PM »
There is no official current Space Marines pdf. Official Marines is to be found in Armada (not for sale) or the armada pdf To Cleanse the Stars at the GW website.

This:
http://tinyurl.com/23nul8q
has the update to the old space marines pdf (which was never official). Here you will also find the FAQ2010 and more.

Jervis Johnson will hand out a cover note to FAQ/Compendium 2010 afaik.
Yes- that link is the Space Marine PDF I was referring to. And I am comparing it to Armada (for which i have hard and soft copy).

So my questions stands of Armada Codex Astartes SM List vs Crusade List or Domnion Lists

Thanks

James

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 02:48:53 PM »
Plus the new lists have the +1 shield option for Strike Cruisers. Jiii!

As it stands the Marine list in Armada is to weak. Strike Cruisers are puny with only 1 shield. Marines needed an update. Hence the new pdf. It is needed to make Marines more balanced in the grand game of BFG.

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 03:00:11 PM »
Plus the new lists have the +1 shield option for Strike Cruisers. Jiii!

As it stands the Marine list in Armada is to weak. Strike Cruisers are puny with only 1 shield. Marines needed an update. Hence the new pdf. It is needed to make Marines more balanced in the grand game of BFG.
Ok- thanks for the clarification- that makes sense- I have not yet met anyone who thought that the Armada SM List was over-overpowered!!

Ok so that new PDF link that you listed is unofficial?

That would make sense then, as the Crusade and Dominion lists appear to offer something different to each other.

What is the timetable for the Crusade/Dominion lists becoming official? Or is that the SM Thread that I can see in the Experimental Rules section??

Thanks

James

Offline lastspartacus

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 05:16:44 PM »
Whats this Jervis news now?

Offline Belshazzar

• Loc: Kiel, Germany
    • Vulkan's Forge
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2011, 07:20:04 PM »
The Crusade list has also access to Thunderhawk Annihilators (Fighter-Bombers), the Dominion list does not.
Check out my Hobby Blog: Vulkan's Forge

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2011, 08:03:15 PM »
wargamer,
the link is semi-official. Written by the HA, official rule committee, yet GW does not want to upload as to much is superceding the rulebook for sale. Jervis wants to do a cover note though.

The Marine list in Armada was underpowered by a large margin.
If you would look at my battles vs Marines I would have exterminated the complete Dark Angels chapter and some second foundings as well.
Without losses. har har har.

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2011, 08:32:14 PM »
Thanks- so I should have no qualms about fileding a Crusade or Dominion lists in a friendly game, but not yet tournament-legal?

MY BFG Space Marines are a mixture of Space Wolves and Ultramrines. I imagine that they would neatly fir into Crusade/Dominion lists respectively.

So far for Space Wolves I have 3 Nova, 3 Gladius, 3 Hunter, so I will need to add a Battle Barge and some Strike Cruisers.

So far for Ultramrines I have 1 Battlebarge, 3 Strike Cruisers and 9 Cobras, so I will need to add some Swords/Firestorms and some IN ships.

Thanks

James

Offline lastspartacus

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2011, 01:25:43 AM »
What does that mean, a cover note?

Offline AndrewChristlieb

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2011, 01:59:09 AM »
Always check with your tornament for their take on the rules, many are using faq 2010. You can add the Blood Angels to the list of exterminated to  ::) as my buddys never did anything but expire. My Black Templars didnt do too bad when they first came out tho  :-\ this may have been because everyone was still getting used to them tho.
I don't make the rules, I just think them up and write them down.

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2011, 08:32:08 AM »
Exactly, Adepticon used the FAQ2010 even at the work in progress state of it. But, yes, always check.

LS, a note of approval I guess.