September 14, 2024, 08:12:10 AM

Author Topic: Necron Nightmare field?  (Read 1770 times)

Offline Lordhat

• Lurker
Necron Nightmare field?
« on: January 30, 2012, 03:16:34 AM »
While reading through the 2010 FAQ I found this:

Some weapon systems such as the Necron Nightmare Field and Star Pulse Generator....

I've gone through the Necron fleet rules available from GW, and I find no listing for any 'nightmare field', though I keep running into references to it in various forums. Since it's in the 2010 FAQ I'm assuming it's a rule... where does one find it?

Offline AndrewChristlieb

Re: Necron Nightmare field?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 12:17:53 PM »
Don't quote me on this but it sounds like someone wanted to name the effect of the Sepulchre special attack.
I don't make the rules, I just think them up and write them down.

Offline Thinking Stone

• Loc: The Great South Land of the Holy Spirit
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 04:37:38 AM »
I'd often wondered about this myself, since I can find no reference to it rules-wise. I think that your suggestion, AndrewChristlieb, is the likely answer. I had also hypothesised that it was a legacy of an older Necron list (and was some kind of area affecting weapon, like the star pulse is now). Anyway, there are multiple references to it elsewhere (but unfortunately, none of them come to me off the top of my head!)... so perhaps it is to help with the 'mysterious nature' of Necrons.... There are also references in the background about some Scythe-classes having Sepulchre-like structures, but I've never seen an official rule to accommodate this.

On a more solid note, if it doesn't refer to the Sepulchre attack, what do you think it would do?

Offline AndrewChristlieb

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 01:09:23 PM »
I found an old reference to it with rules, it is the sepulchre attack.

Nightmare Field

Only utilised by ships bearing a Sepulchre. A wave of palpable psychic force is generated from the Necron ship, and all enemy within 20cm are potentially affected. The crew are paralysed by visions of horror, if discipline is lost then the crazed crew are likely to do damage to their ship as they rampage uncontrollably. Each affected ship should take a Leadership test. If they pass the Captain cracks some heads and restores order, if it is failed then the ships leadership is reduced by 1 representing the loss of morale and trust. Also the ship may not use any special orders until after the end of their next turn. This includes 'Brace for Impact'. Any ordnance engaged by the Nightmare Field (except for non-boarding torpedoes) is destroyed on a 4+. May only be fired.when the ship is not on special orders or crippled.
I don't make the rules, I just think them up and write them down.