August 04, 2024, 11:14:50 AM

Author Topic: scratchbuilding flying stands  (Read 3085 times)

Offline lordgoober

scratchbuilding flying stands
« on: March 07, 2011, 09:42:43 PM »
I just recently got my hands on an ork fleet and the stands were either glued in or broken so they all needed to be replaced.  I don't want to pay the full GW retail for their flying stands as they've gone insane with their pricing ($4.50 for FIVE stands).  Is there a good substitute flying stand out there that works for BFG ships or an easy way to scratch build some flying stands?

Offline Valhallan

Re: scratchbuilding flying stands
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 10:49:56 PM »
there used to be a sticky on portmaw about breaking flying stands. best solutions i remember are nails, or hella-thin copper piping. of course if you have extra stand pieces and a drill.... you have no real problems.

Offline lordgoober

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 12:05:39 AM »
these stands were pretty bad off.

Offline Dave

• Mod
    • Loc: Worcester, MA
    • The Epic Gamer
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 05:27:09 PM »
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 05:29:32 PM by Dave »

Offline Eddie Orlock

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 05:31:10 PM »
I've found that bamboo skewers, the kind I've seen used for shisk-kabobs actually slot nicely into the holes in the plastic disks and the holes in the bottom of the ships. They have the added benefit of being slightly springy and less prone to brittle failure. The down side is if you do manage to break them it's likely not an easy fix as you'll have to remove the splinters and replace whole cloth.

Offline afterimagedan

• Loc: Chicago IL, USA
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 08:14:41 PM »
Here's my way, assuming you have the bottom part...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qyJUSde0eY

Also, what are those ships from, Dave?

Offline BaronIveagh

• Dark Reign
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 06:24:00 PM »
I went on ebay and got 60 flying stands for something like $5. 

There is a guy there, IIRC tht is selling milled aluminum stems, as well, that fit the plastic circle bases of the stand.
non nobis domine non nobis sed nomine tua da na glorium

Offline Trasvi

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 03:09:06 PM »
Also: http://www.rattleheadgames.com/catalog/WithHostileIntent-MagneticAdapterSystemProducts.html
http://fromthewarp.blogspot.com/2009/03/simple-and-sturdy-magnetic-flying-bases.html

I've done something very similar to the second one, but putting a magnet in the mini and using plasticard tubing.

There is one more that I can't find, a company which sells entire kits to mount minis to flight stands: using spherical magnets in a ball+cup system, letting you put them on cool dynamic angles.
One major problem though with magnetic stands is the ability for models to rotate on their pivot whilst playing - thus the ninja magic ones, or making something similar yourself, stops the mini from changing facing during the game.