September 11, 2024, 02:18:18 PM

Author Topic: Eldar and Imperial fluff questions  (Read 7502 times)

Offline lastspartacus

Re: Eldar and Imperial fluff questions
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2011, 12:04:15 AM »
Yes, now.  I was referring if they were put into the MMS format like Eldar were.

Offline Sigoroth

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2011, 02:03:56 AM »
Right, it just surprised me that corsairs in an asteroid pirate base could have the facilities to construct a BB.  But all that really informs me is that corsairs are better equipped than I thought, just choosing to live away from their craftworld.

Well it first started popping up after a bunch of pirate bands came together. Perhaps trade deals were struck to pool resources allowing for its construction.

On the subject of DE, I know their ships are different, but they follow the same principles, yes?
Would they qualify for MMS or is that too powerful for them. I know they don't use solar sails, but I figured their vessels would be of comparable speed, if not star-dependant.  It has always confused me honestly the great disparity between their means of doing things, far more far apart than imperials and chaos.

DE have a far different culture to other Eldar. They eschew the use of psykers and live inside the Webway. These two things combined make for a very different tech approach. Add to this the DE forbearance of soul stones and dependence on slave taking and their inherent cruelty and you get a rather large gulf between DE and other Eldar. Reflecting this in their rules isn't a bad idea.

Also, DE get a free CTNH and are quite fast to begin with, so they're capable of similar feats of manoeuvrability as CE/CWE.

Offline lastspartacus

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2011, 02:25:35 AM »
I havn't read either DE codex, but I didn't realize DE chose not to have psykers, for whatever reason.  Wait, aren't Eldar an inherantly psychic race right down to their DNA?  Maybe generations of latex and whips is kind of like gene altering cancer :)

Offline Sigoroth

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2011, 09:25:41 AM »
The choice to have DE eschew psykers has always baffled me.

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
  • Destiny Infinity Eternity
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2011, 07:10:42 PM »
DE should be a tad different then Eldar MMS, mimic engines should be free.

Offline lastspartacus

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2011, 09:50:53 PM »
Maybe they dare not use it since they have none of the protections against Slaanesh like the CWE do.

When you say different, Horizon, do you mean no double move?

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
  • Destiny Infinity Eternity
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2011, 06:23:17 AM »
Yeah, they are not so 'flexible' due non-wraithbone and non-solar sails.

On the MMS download page you'll see an old DE file with some changed rules. I only made the pdf no work on rules. It never got developed further.  The art is good though.

Offline Mallich

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2011, 02:22:29 AM »
Maybe they dare not use it since they have none of the protections against Slaanesh like the CWE do.
Can anybody remember reading the Torturer's Tale ages back? It was in one of the issues of White Dwarf. I think it seemed to imply that the Dark Eldar survive by... distracting... Slaanesh. Slaanesh is slowly sucking their souls out, Slaanesh's power is reduced in the webway. By torturing people (especially those attuned to the warp, like craftworld Eldar) the Dark Eldar would distract Slaanesh from the Dark Eldar, or something like that. I'm guessing a powerful psyker would be too easy for Slaanesh to find - who would then be able to drain the souls from anyone near the psyker.

There was one Dominator in the Gothic Sector.
It is written Kar Duniash has more Dominators.
From the "Ships of the Gothic Sector":
"Dominator class cruisers are far more common to battlefleet Ultima than Battlefleet Obscuras, the vast majority being built at the fleet base at Kar Duniash. The only Dominator class vessel serving in the Gothic Sector at the outset of the war was the Hammer of Justice under the command of Captain Grenfeld."
There's the evidence, although the bit I underlined does leave a possibility that other Dominators served in the Gothic Sector war.

Offline lastspartacus

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2011, 02:38:01 AM »
Good catch on the outset part, but still. :)

Offline Sigoroth

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2011, 10:13:48 AM »
Can anybody remember reading the Torturer's Tale ages back? It was in one of the issues of White Dwarf. I think it seemed to imply that the Dark Eldar survive by... distracting... Slaanesh. Slaanesh is slowly sucking their souls out, Slaanesh's power is reduced in the webway. By torturing people (especially those attuned to the warp, like craftworld Eldar) the Dark Eldar would distract Slaanesh from the Dark Eldar, or something like that. I'm guessing a powerful psyker would be too easy for Slaanesh to find - who would then be able to drain the souls from anyone near the psyker.

This is an example of crap fluff. The DE prolong their lives by sucking souls. These souls never make it to the warp, therefore they'd not attract any warp entity at all. Also, Slaanesh can't just snuff out an Eldar life. Slaanesh eats their souls when they die, as they've no Gods left to protect them (practically speaking). The CWE get around this by catching their souls in special stones so they don't cross over to the warp, protecting them from Slaanesh. The Harlequin Eldar get around this by virtue of the laughing god (Loec), who protects them. Solitaires sell their souls to Slaanesh in return for their abilities. Slaanesh doesn't always get these souls however; sometimes Loec can trick Slaanesh out of his prize.

I think exodite Eldar deal with Slaanesh with soulstones, but the DE are perpetually in denial. That is they try to avoid being consumed by Slaanesh by trying to avoid death. They eat souls to prolong their lives. Even the souls of other DE. So it sucks to be a DE, you're either going to be eaten by Slaanesh or another DE when you die.

Since Slaanesh can't just eat living Eldar there's no need to 'distract' him by torturing other souls and really, this isn't a distraction, it's in fact more likely to focus Slaanesh's gaze towards them. So there's no reason why the DE couldn't have psykers. All they'd need is the equivalent of a CWE Ghosthelm to protect them from Slaanesh and they'd be fine. Or as fine as any other DE anyway.