October 28, 2024, 11:19:10 AM

Author Topic: First Inquisitor game  (Read 11254 times)

Offline Kaled

• `Twas brillig, and the slithy toves...
    • The Inquisitorial Archive
Re: First Inquisitor game
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2009, 05:43:00 PM »
Yes, 1"=1 yard is a bit much for Inq28 - most people use either 1/2"=1 yard or 1cm=1 yard.  One good thing about Inq28 is that you only need a fairly small area on which to play - we normally play on a 4'x4' table at 54mm, so 2'x2' is plenty for Inq28 (with only 6-10 models on the table you want to keep it reasonably small otherwise your characters spend all their time looking for one another).

Personally I much prefer 54mm - it's still pretty cheap, there are tons of great models out there, you can use almost all of your existing terrain and the larger models do look fantastic.  That said, there's nothing wrong with Inq28 - however you might have to take a firm hand as a GM to prevent people taking 'inappropriate' characters, weapons and equipment for their warbands.
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

The Inquisitorial Gallery

Offline precinctomega

• Lurker
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2009, 12:10:00 PM »
Aloha!

1cm=1 yard is good for 28mm.  Personally, I use 1/2"=1 yard on the rare occasions I play Inq28.

Using preset characters is a great idea for introducing players to the principles of INQ and, if you're going to do a 28mm campaign with novices, you might want to do the same thing again (the last 28mm campaign I played included a SM kill team, a daemonic incursion and a brood of Genestealers until I stepped in and banged some heads together).  The sheer freedom of INQ can lead new players to tool up the most monstrous of characters.

The other option, should you see this sort of outcome looming, is to design a campaign that favours the subtle and balanced.  I find having power armoured sentinels falling through wooden floors, or being forced to remove their armour to climb through narrow tunnels, is good for imposing a degree of sense and humility on players.

Also, don't underestimate the preparedness of players to go 54mm.  It's cheaper than many people expect, gives a better game experience and some great hobby challenges.

R.

Offline Dvil

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2009, 05:20:44 PM »
Ok, cool, thanks for the advice. I had another 2 games today (introducing  the final member to the game). I came away having learned three things:

1) Space Marines really are powerful.
2) daemonhosts are surprisingly reasonable (when you're too novice to give them daemonic abilities ::))
3) How flamers work

I think I'm starting to get the hang of it by now!