August 05, 2024, 07:20:58 AM

Author Topic: 2010 update?  (Read 6718 times)

Offline Sigoroth

Re: 2010 update?
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2010, 04:45:32 AM »
And Sig, Fra'al right?  Had the same thought :)

"Give em the lance side!"

Actually, not really. Fra'al are described as being completely weirdly asymmetrical. Though I've toyed with the idea of making this sort of ship, I'm more inclined to have a reasonably symmetrical core on my ships.

What I had in mind was a long dagger like core with varying weapon options. For example, have one side, completely armoured with some torpedo tubes (I imagine the armour shield to be rounded all down one side and curve around to the front, like a gladiator arm shield) and the other side open and spiked with direct fire weaponry. Variants could be arranged on the opposite side. So this fleet would operate on a hook basis, ie, break first line, swing around to present guns to aft of foreward line and armour/torps to prows of second line.

Carriers would be launch bays one side, and either the direct fire weapons or armour/torps on the other. So this fleet would be quite efficient, but could come undone with good positioning by the opponent, since it has to fly one specific way to get shots off.

Offline Trasvi

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2010, 12:23:43 AM »
I just played in a tournament using the new FAQ, and I found that many people ignored some of the more significant rules changes as they were too difficult to find in the document.

I would really like to see it split into sections of:
New Rules - stuff which doesn't appear in the rulebook at all, like Fighter turret suppression.
Errata - fixes to the rules in sections where they were unclear or didn't make sense.
FAQ - questions which can be answered just by reading the rules a little more closely.

That way the more experienced players could ignore the latter third of the document, without having to wade through simple questions to find the changes made to blast markers or whatever.

Offline flybywire-E2C

• BFG HA
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2010, 01:49:25 AM »
I just played in a tournament using the new FAQ, and I found that many people ignored some of the more significant rules changes as they were too difficult to find in the document.

I would really like to see it split into sections of:
New Rules - stuff which doesn't appear in the rulebook at all, like Fighter turret suppression.
Errata - fixes to the rules in sections where they were unclear or didn't make sense.
FAQ - questions which can be answered just by reading the rules a little more closely.

That way the more experienced players could ignore the latter third of the document, without having to wade through simple questions to find the changes made to blast markers or whatever.

Which version are you using? The latest FAQ has a table of contents in the front, and the individual fleets have completely separate pages so they can be pulled apart and placed in a binder for those that print the electronic rules and keep printed copies of their fleets in one notebook.

- Nate

Check out the BFG repository page for all the documents we have in work:
http://tinyurl.com/23nul8q
:) Smile, game on and enjoy!           - Nate

Offline Vaaish

• Digital Equinox
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2010, 03:20:26 AM »
I'd suggest that a simple change in word color to highlight the new changes might work well. I found it difficult to dig through what changed from the previous version to this version. Just highlighting the new 2010 FAQ changes would help immensely.
-Vaaish