September 28, 2024, 01:11:18 PM

Author Topic: [WM] Pugwash paints Dark Elves  (Read 2189 times)

Offline Pugwash

• Warmaster Downunder
[WM] Pugwash paints Dark Elves
« on: April 18, 2021, 11:13:03 AM »
I've been working on these Dark Elves for a while.  I started them around a decade ago, but recently pulled them out again made a few changes, and finished them off!

My Dark Elf army includes:

4 x Spearmen
3 x Crossbowmen
6 x Cold One Knights
3 x Dark Riders
2 x Harpies
2 x Witch Elves
1 x War Hydra
2 x Repeater Bolt Thrower
Plus the standard character assortment including a Manticore mount

Spearelves

Crossbowelves

Witch Elves

Bolt throwers

Cold One Knights

Dark Riders

Monsters

Characters

Check the Warmaster Battle Report section to see them in action!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 10:03:16 AM by Pugwash »
Warmaster Downunder http://warmasterdownunder.blogspot.com - My Armies, Painting and Battle Reports.

Offline adamsg01

• Loc: Australia
Re: [WM] Pugwash paints Dark Elves
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2021, 12:27:16 PM »
They look great mate. I like the use of the blues and purples esp the dark riders. Mostly I have seen the,m all balk clothing on black horses but yours really stand out. Standards on those spearmen are awesome.

I have the Manticore fellow too and he is a great model. Do you remember how you did th eHydra. I really like your painting. Alos the lighter base help pop out the model colors where as I was going to have mine on a dark greyish/black base with snow effects(like I did for my chaos chaps). Naggoroth doesn't sound like a great place to visit!

Well done and thanks for sharing.

cheers

Offline Stormwind

• Veteran member
  • Ben Sibbald | Newcastle, UK
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2021, 06:45:18 PM »
Wonderful work as always!
My Personal & Modelling Blog >>http://theancienttrack.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Pugwash

• Warmaster Downunder
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2021, 07:45:42 AM »
Thanks for the kind words.

Do you remember how you did th eHydra.

I believe he was done with the body as GW Creed Camo (Contrast Paint) then highlighted with some different greens and a wash of Agrax Earthshade.  The beaks were Space Wolf Grey (Contrast) then some highlights and the same wash.

It's a great model, but a bit of a pain to rank up against enemies!
Warmaster Downunder http://warmasterdownunder.blogspot.com - My Armies, Painting and Battle Reports.

Offline Apocolocyntosis

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2021, 03:18:51 PM »
impressive host

Offline adamsg01

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2021, 11:28:22 AM »
Thanks for the tip painting the Hydra! I might need to venture out to my shed (a.k.a Alladin's cave of wargaming stuffs I don't remember I bought and no it is not hording if it is a hobby) but I know there are 2 hydras waiting painting. I did two of the Warhammer (older metal) Hydras also currently using for Kings of War so reckon will need a lot less paint for sure.

I'll have to check if I have Agrax Earthshade. If not would the Army painter equivalent be soft tone, strong or dark tone - if you know that is? Appreciate any advice.

take care and thanks for sharing

cheers

Offline Pugwash

• Warmaster Downunder
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2021, 09:26:03 AM »
I'll have to check if I have Agrax Earthshade. If not would the Army painter equivalent be soft tone, strong or dark tone - if you know that is? Appreciate any advice.

Sorry I don't (Google probably does though). My whole Hydra painting was an experiment, so that's the attitude to take a reckon.  Good luck in Aladdin's Cave!

Offline Stormwind

• Veteran member
  • Ben Sibbald | Newcastle, UK
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2021, 06:13:52 PM »
Dark Tone is a bit like Badab Black
Strong Tone is a bit like Devlan Mud

BUT, be warned, they have much more of a gloss/satin rather than matt finish, compared with the GW Shades, I have found.  The idea is that you will eventually spray a matt anti shine spray over models finished with the Army Painter Tones.
My Personal & Modelling Blog >>http://theancienttrack.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline adamsg01

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2021, 05:41:44 AM »
Thanks for the painting tip. Good to know. Reckon I might have paints in the cave also so best I check for GW one just to be on the safe side.
cheers

Offline adamsg01

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2021, 12:06:23 PM »
Forgot to ask earlier Pugwash. Do the Dark Elf spear armed fellow suffer from broken shafts also? A lot of my HE spear-armed dudes are broken. Something maybe with the sculpt or cast I s'pose. I never did get hold of any DE spear-elves to know for my self.

Hope you are doing well and hunkering down in these troubled times.
cheers