October 02, 2024, 05:22:20 PM

Author Topic: Warmaster Beastmen Project  (Read 9719 times)

Offline Gunslinger76

• Loc: New Jersey, USA
Warmaster Beastmen Project
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2018, 11:53:07 PM »
Just wanted to give a quick update. I've been planning on executing a dragon ogre Shaggoth and was very impressed with an image I found online of one using a Winged Nightmare as the base. Unfortunately the Photobucket purge seems to have deleted a lot of the original images of it.

It took me a while to track one down, but I got it this weekend and mashed it up with a 15 mm Minotaur from magister milistrum.

Some chopping, gluing,  and a bit of green stuff later I'm pretty satisfied with it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Offline marell le fou

Re: Warmaster Beastmen Project
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2018, 09:32:15 PM »
Idea is great !

Hence, i'm not completly fan of the front legs. They look too much like arms. A four leg animal should, i think, put them between each of the rear legs. And not "in the air in front of him", like arms.

Think you would have a more "animal" look by doing this. When i saw the picture at first sight, i thought it was a creature with four arms and that was all.

As for the GS work, and thhe general proportions, it's right. I think you get the point. The idea to chose aminotaure is excellent ! Position of the armes is good for a character. And the weapons are ok too for a great Dragon Ogre.

Will you give him special abilities ? Will it be a character or part of a unit ? I would see him as a character.

Offline Gunslinger76

Warmaster Beastmen Project
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2018, 04:15:12 PM »
Thanks Marell! Glad you like the pose for the part. I really liked the idea of a monster of his size pointing to an enemy across the field of battle and hunting them down.

When I was bringing him up from concept, I looked a lot to the actual GW model. I know standard dragon ogres are more centaur inspired mix of bad guys from fantasy, with all four legs on the ground. However, the Shaggoth looks like it was designed with the front "legs" to be conceptually closer to Trex arms, where they're smaller than the dedicated legs and arms.

As for rules, I'm waiting for the Revolution rule committee to release the beastmen list and hopefully not remove the Shaggoth now that I finally have one made up. Worst case scenario, I'll just import the stats from the current beastmen list when I use it.

Offline marell le fou

« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2018, 09:33:30 PM »
OK, i had not spotted the front legs where shorter.

I'm a big fan of centaures... So i hope your beastmen list will keep them. Would be a total shame :)

Offline Gunslinger76

« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2018, 04:44:32 AM »
OK, i had not spotted the front legs where shorter.

I'm a big fan of centaures... So i hope your beastmen list will keep them. Would be a total shame :)
Agreed! I went with Eureka's Deaemonaurs we're great models for the roll. I'm really hoping the new list makes them usable. As the half infantry/half calvary unit that can't be supported that they're in the current list results in a unit that I personally find really difficult to justify in a list beyond fluff and narrative reasons. I'd like to see them fill a roll similar to light calvary, but will need to wait and see!