October 05, 2024, 02:15:14 AM

Author Topic: Making your own scenery  (Read 3395 times)

Offline Tiberius

• Loc: Anaheim, CA
Making your own scenery
« on: October 22, 2016, 09:13:22 PM »
I have been on a kick recently making scenery for warmaster.  It has been a lot of fun, but I have noticed some challenges.

The biggest challenge I have found is basing the scenery.  I really can't find a suitable material.  I want something thin, but also at least somewhat strong and rigid.  Cardboard has proven too thick, as the edge is about at neck level with the models.  I have been using basswood, but now I am having problems with it warping.  Pink foam works well for hills, but if I want something very level, like a lake, river or field, it's too thin.  What do other people use?  I have never found a plasticard rigid enough.  I might try hardboard, but it's pretty think and hard to work with.

Offline Blindhorizon

Re: Making your own scenery
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2016, 10:43:21 PM »
Honestly plasticard works fine for me.

Offline Tiberius

• Loc: Anaheim, CA
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2016, 10:50:59 PM »
Where do you get this plasticard?  I have yet to find good stuff. It's all very flexible.

Offline Grumbledook

• Loc: Uk
    • It's a hobby, not an addiction
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 08:06:45 PM »
I'm having a go using old CDs for small set pieces, worked ok so far but I hope they won't warp once the pva is on and dried. Will update accordingly.

Offline industrialtrousers

• Loc: Londinium
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 08:17:23 PM »
Laser cut mdf bases with the edges shaved down are what I'm having a crack at next. I'm talking about the slightly larger ones you get with pendragon army packs.

I've.tried sculpy as well and it seems OK but not sure if it would survive a tumble of any magnitude.

Not quite along the same lines but also experimenting with caulk over material. You'd then plonk things on top of that. I've got some trees based on coins so I've started making a ' Base '  like this. Keep getting distracted though... You know how it is.

Offline Lex

• Global Moderator
  • I wonder...
    • Loc: Bergen op Zoom, Netherlands
    • Warmuster . BitzBox
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2016, 09:27:49 PM »
I'm having a go using old CDs for small set pieces, worked ok so far but I hope they won't warp once the pva is on and dried. Will update accordingly.

CD bases work fine

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2017, 11:29:33 PM »
I'm going to crank up this thread again as seems like warmaster folks have gone into a hiatus.

Tried the CDs and they work pretty well. Had a crack at softening them in just boiled water which did soften them. A bit. Still took a fair effort with the kitchen scissors to cut them into the shapes I wanted.

Scatter terrain has been the distraction of choice so I'll get some pictures sorted over the long weekend so I can show my bogs and a few other bits.

Offline cjbennett22

• Loc: Grand Rapids, Michigan
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2017, 04:04:47 AM »
how thin are we talking?  1/8" is very readily available as plywood.  I have been using that and it doesn't warp, or at least not for me, not yet.  MDF can get thinner yet with specialty orders but if you are ordering it you might as well stay with plywood as that can get even thinner.  From there, you can do drywall plaster.  There is 2 very different types both very available from Lowes or Home Depot.  The stuff used just for patches is cheaper and weaker but im sure would do the trick just fine.

The only tools you would need is the right jig saw and a sander.  I have yet to do any large warmaster terrain pieces so I don't know if I am of good help.

I have gotten some plastic card from litko.
http://www.litko.net/
I buy bases for my heroes from them, round micro-plywood, I buy them without the magnets but only because I use magnet sheets for other things so I have plenty of scrap left over and cutting to size after glueing is really easy.

Offline Stormwind

• Veteran member
  • Ben Sibbald | Newcastle, UK
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2017, 06:57:15 PM »
I've used MDF for all of my woods bases and that hasn't warped on me - even though I lashed loads of Vallejo modelling pumice on it.
My Personal & Modelling Blog >>http://theancienttrack.blogspot.co.uk/

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2017, 12:24:59 AM »
I'm currently using a bunch of mixed teas for bases. Smells great.

Offline marell le fou

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2017, 11:06:32 PM »
I generally use dense but elastic foam. In fact it's foam used for sole for shoes. Resistant, and if it takes a hard impact, it just absorb it.

It's easily cuttable with any cutter and cost nothing.

It's usefull for i never have to repaint them and they protect the figs at the same time.