September 11, 2024, 08:14:22 AM

Author Topic: Chaos Fleet Scratchbuild  (Read 2310 times)

Offline Chios

Chaos Fleet Scratchbuild
« on: January 11, 2016, 09:33:22 PM »
Back in 2007 my best friend and me played a couple of mini-testgames of BFG.
We followed the beginners' advice for the cruiser clash scenario to use two cruisers each.
Back then I made scratchbuilt models for the first game out of cardboard, since money was tight and modelling is my favourite part of the wargaming hobby anyway.
Those cardboard cruisers did the job, but I was never quite satisfied with them and forewent the project as we didn't really pick up BFG at that time.

Now that BFG has supplanted all the other tabletops we played previously (for some years we stopped the hobby altogether), I once more started thinking about getting real minis done.
Fortunately I had made CAD-Drawings back in the day, so I could start by resurrecting those and hacking into the cardboard minis with gusto to improve the old designs.

The picture with the coloured Minis shows the cardboard ships (with awful paintjobs and just a little of the brutal design process already visited upon the Devastation Class).
Jump forward 8 years and behold: My Chaos cruisers made out of plastic instead of beer coasters and toothpicks.
The picture with the 3 Cruisers shows the undercarriage, while emphasising how AWESOME those babies would look at sea if used upside down. ^^
The Acheron is photographed more or less done, some work on the underside is not recorded but you can't really see it from this angle anyway.
One picture shows the as of yet pretty barren topside of the regular cruisers, Turrets, the bridge section etc. are still missing.

I will post the progress of my fleets(s) from time to time as an incentive to myself not to drop the ball on moving forward with the builds, hope you like it!

Offline Gothmog Lord of Balrogs

• Lord of the Seven
    • Sepulchre of Heroes
Re: Chaos Fleet Scratchbuild
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 07:32:00 PM »
AWESOME! Look Great!
"Give me a thousand men crazy enough to conquer Hell and we shall do it!"
www.sepulchreofheroes.blogspot.com
sepulchreofheroes@gmail.com

Offline Chios

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 08:47:59 PM »
I have finished building my 1k fleet, consisting of two Infernos, two Devastations and an Acheron.
Since the underside of the Cruisers sorta looks like having protruding ribs, I went for a light spinal cord theme on the decks.
Devastation and Inferno have a different amount of turrets according to their stats, so I modeled them with 2 or 3 turrets respectively, giving the carrier more elevation for the added turret. This makes her look a little humpbacked, but I guess seeming a little ponderous is fitting for a carrier. ;)

@Gothmog Lord of Balrogs: Thanks for the encouragement, glad you liked them! I did a concept model for an Eldar Fleet, once the prow does not look like Kermit the frog anymore I will post that as well. For Chaos, i'd like to try my hand at a Repulsive and some Infidels, but a Necron concept model is next on the agenda I think...

Offline fracas

• WarMancer
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 09:36:06 PM »
Good work!