September 13, 2024, 03:17:26 PM

Author Topic: Nova cannons and asteroid fields  (Read 2792 times)

Offline Seahawk

• Bombardment!
Nova cannons and asteroid fields
« on: April 26, 2016, 07:02:54 AM »
I had a question in my Adepticon thread that went unanswered, so here it is:

Can you shoot "through" or "into" an asteroid field to hit ships inside or on the far side?

Example 1:

The green IN ship is shooting its nova cannon. The player places the template touching anywhere on the asteroid field, but obviously puts it on the edge facing the red chaos ship, hoping to scatter onto said ship. Is this legal? Why/why not.

Example 2:

The red chaos ship is in the asteroid field. Can the green IN ship place the template anywhere on the asteroid field, including on the chaos ship itself, despite having no LOS to it? Why/why not.

Or, finally is this the only legal way to place a nova cannon template on an asteroid field (on the edge facing the shooter):

Frankly, if it's anything other than that then that's BS and could use a hefty nerf (aka, no 2010 FAQ).

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
  • Destiny Infinity Eternity
Re: Nova cannons and asteroid fields
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 07:48:21 PM »
Hey,

From the FAQ2010:

The Nova Cannon is a line of sight weapon and
cannot fire through obstacles or celestial phenomena
that act as normal line of sight obstructions, such as
planets, moons, asteroid fields, etc. If desired
however, these can nonetheless be fired upon. If a
direct hit is scored on the scatter dice, place D6 blast
markers in contact with the planet or asteroid field
edge.

Seems fair.

Offline Seahawk

• Bombardment!
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 04:05:08 PM »
Right, I took that into account, but what does that mean?

"It can be fired upon".

Does that mean the template can be placed anywhere, even on places that would normally be out of LOS (i.e. anywhere on the asteroid field that isn't the edge facing the firer)? Is the last picture then the only legal way to place a template on the asteroid field (i.e. the edge facing the firer)? If you put it in the middle of the field and roll a hit, do you place blast markers anywhere on any edge? If you scatter but still hit the field, are blast markers even placed or is that rule for hits only?

Offline connahr

• Loc: shropshire
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 04:47:06 PM »
given that it is a LOS weapon I'd take it to mean you can only place the template on the side you have LOS to.

not sure on where you stand regarding placing blast markers if the template scatters into the asteroid field.
theres no such thing as over kill, its just making sure

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
  • Destiny Infinity Eternity
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2016, 09:10:53 PM »
The Nova Cannon uses line of sight. And BFG does not apply a real 3D mechanic.

So the template must be placed against the asteroid field facing the shooting vessel.
After scattering the marker is placed and at that point the blastmarker is placed. Thus even in the asteroid field. (Flush those Eldar...).

Ofcourse why would anyone do that.... aside of that Eldar flushing...

The only cool thing would be that such a shot had a real effect. Eg : asteroid field expands to the other side by 2d6 cm.

Offline Seahawk

• Bombardment!
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 07:29:24 AM »
This is what I thought, no LOS and thus can only hit the edge closest the firer. Luckily it had no game effect, but still.