August 02, 2024, 11:13:41 PM

Author Topic: BFG:R Chaos inconsistensies  (Read 2995 times)

Offline Cyk0

BFG:R Chaos inconsistensies
« on: July 31, 2015, 10:11:28 AM »
Hi!

Me and some friends are considering doing a BFG relapse.
We are eyeing the BFG:R rule set, however chaos would take part, so I took a look at the work in progress chaos pdf.

I noticed some inconsistencies and id thought id post them here:
1. The Khorne conqueror battleship costs more for the Khorne fleet than everybody else 430 vs 360.

2. All the chaos space marine lists, still have a list price of 35 for the marks rather than 15.

3. Why would a styx space marine venerable battle barge converted for thunderhawks round its launch bays up while a chaos space marine styx converted for them round them down? I strongly doubt anyone would even remotely consider taking a styx with only two launch bays in total. (Id say even rounded up its not a given since you can still use deathclaws with spacemarines if you don't downgrade, not only do you get more of them but you retain the flexibility of being able to launch faster bombers or fighters when the situation calls for it)

Is the BFG:R site still being updated, the rules post says it is, but nothing has happened there for a long time... Is there any chance of these sort of "hygienic" changes making it in?

Thanks in advanced, and I'm glad to see posting is alive on these forums at least!

Offline Xca|iber

• *Transcribing Intensifies*
Re: BFG:R Chaos inconsistensies
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 08:14:09 PM »
Well, I'm new to the game, but since one of my pet projects is, well, revising the Revised edition, I'll take a stab at your questions (I'm gonna have to deal with these issues one way or another, in any case).

1. Looks like a typo. Considering the 2010 Compendium (where I believe the legion fleets were introduced), it had a cost of 380. Since this appears to have been deliberately changed in the actual profile of the ship to 360, I can only assume that the intent was for the BFG:R version of the Conqueror to have a cost of 360. In general I go by the cost shown in profiles rather than in the fleet list.

2. I'm not sure about this one. Could be a typo or deliberate balance thing, but I haven't done enough research (looking through some of the old BFG:R threads on here, as well as the old publications) to know for certain. I'll get back to you if someone doesn't answer.

3. I think it's an oversight. Pretty much everything in this game is "round-up" except a few very specific scenario/victory point conditions.

As for your last question, I don't think BFG:R is being actively updated right now. That being said, I'll have to fix these issues for my little revised/revised project, if I ever get around to releasing it.
++Ask Not, Fear Not++
-------------------------
BFG:XR - The Battlefleet Gothic Expanded Revised Rules Project

Offline Cyk0

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 09:48:27 PM »
Well on the 2. point, I don't see a reason for it to be a balance thing.

In the original fleet list dedicated to specific goods the marks have the same cost as the other fleets.

Unless they specifically intended for dedicated fleets to be less inclined to use marks than the other ones (which makes no sense)

I think there is a more simple explanation for this, based on the typo for the price of the the Khorne dedicated ship. It had a cost it has never had so its not due to the refit and a missed change... However one of the other dedicated ships had that cost, Nurgles Terminus est, and incidentally  Nurgles mark also costs 35.  So I assume the Nurgle fleet was used as a template for the dedicated fleets, and since the marks have been changed to now cost the same, the 35 carried across to the other ones.

How would one get around to getting through a vote to get changes like these one into the documents?

Offline Xca|iber

• *Transcribing Intensifies*
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 11:01:39 PM »
Your theory is sound. Duplication of existing pages was a pretty common technique used to produce a lot of the BFG:R documents back in the day, from what I can tell. That's probably what happened here.

As for voting, I'm not sure. I haven't seen afterimagedan post any new BFG:R material since I've been here, but like I said, I'm new to the game myself.
++Ask Not, Fear Not++
-------------------------
BFG:XR - The Battlefleet Gothic Expanded Revised Rules Project

Offline Bessemer

• Loc: UK
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 04:12:47 PM »
Yes, there are lots of misprints in the Chaos lists (not to mention a few in all the others :-[). Possibly due to copy/paste issues as mentioned above.

Marks: Undivided-25, others 15. ignore other costs
Conqueror: 360pts
Rounding fractions: Always UP, except VP's, in which case DOWN.

Hope that helps!
I refuse to be killed by something I've never heard of.

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
  • Destiny Infinity Eternity
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 06:08:09 PM »
On the Styx rounding t-hawk launch bays down instead of up:
This is written in the first official space marine venerable battle barge part in bfg Armada. So, not a bfg:r oversight.

If it makes sense is a different story.

Offline Cyk0

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 06:22:09 PM »
On the Styx rounding t-hawk launch bays down instead of up:
This is written in the first official space marine venerable battle barge part in bfg Armada. So, not a bfg:r oversight.

If it makes sense is a different story.
Nah, space marines don't have venerable battle barges in Armada. And in the official standalone where they are introduced they do round up.

However the chaos rules in armada rounds them down so I see were you coming from. I guess that when they actually thought about it for one second when they did the venerable battle barge rules they realized that rounding up was way better from a gameplay perspective.

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
  • Destiny Infinity Eternity
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2015, 07:04:10 PM »
Ah yeah. Rusty memory. ;)