August 03, 2024, 01:20:00 AM

Author Topic: The Bhein Morr Campaign. (Battlereps + campaign storry)  (Read 2089 times)

Offline Atlan

The Bhein Morr Campaign. (Battlereps + campaign storry)
« on: August 03, 2015, 10:51:09 PM »
The nobel Gotha Heimdall, commander in the navy of the divine Emperor faces the nefarious Chaos Champion Evil Mic...

Dear reader, at first I will give you a short description of the rule- and campaign setting we used. After that you get a small introduction in 'how to read' these battle reports.
(If you're not intrested in the stetting and style descripton of the storry just skip this and start with Chapter I.)

Rules:

We used the basic rules and the additions of the FAQ2010 with one exception:
In the first two battles we used the basic rules for lunchbay restrictions. (You can run out fighters but no limitation on how many of them are on the table.) We changed that to the FAQ2010 rule before chapter III.

Campaign setting:

We played a two-player campaing, basicly using the original rules with the following changes/additions:
- we did not set an ending condition. We just continue as long as we like.
- The size of the games is defined by a D6 the following:
   1: Raid    500 Pt
   2: Raid    750 Pt
   3: Battle  750 Pt
   4: Battle  1000 Pt
   5: Battle  1250 Pt
   6: Battle  1500 Pt

- We do not play the scenarois the bait, the raiders, convoy.
- We start with 2k Pt fleets each. These fleets do not have to follow any limitations like one battleship per three cruisers. But the fleets used in the games have to.
- We do not know each others fleet list.
- Ships destroyed in battle are NOT auomatically replaced!
- We allow the change of the flagship. After a game, the flagship can be changed, if the actual one is undamaged.
- During the campain we agreed to some changes of our fleets. These changes are (not in every detail) mentioned in the reports.

How to read the battle reports:

The reports are meant to form a storry, that explains everything that happens. That means, the parts before and after the actual battle are storrytelling parts, trying to explain, why the different scenarios are played, why exactly those ships are used and so on. Remember, while writing the storry I know just the enemy ships that have been played before, and do not want to reveal which ships I've still in store. The reports of battle 1-4 were written before the next game was played.
During the description of the battles I tried to tell everything that happend not strictley using in-game-mechanic expressions. So you will not read "ship XY rolled x D6 getting y 6". But every special order, hit and so on is mentioned in one or the other way. I hope you can separate them from the narrativ parts around, if you want.
The date of the battle is the real date.....exept the milenium  ;)
The times mentioned during the battles are the times at the beginning of each turn. (jeah we play slowly)
I've to confess, that I'm not so much into WH 40k at all. So this is rather a storry 'loosely based on WH40k' (inspired also by different other scifi storrys) than a true WH40k storry. 
Last but not least, I'm not a native speaker, so just forgive my mistakes (especially when I tried to use military/naval/aeronautic expressions) and enjoy THE BHEIN MORR CAMPAIGN!

Offline Atlan

Re: The Bhein Morr Campaign. (Battlereps + campaign storry)
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 10:54:16 PM »
Chapter I

Segmentum Solar
Subsector Armageddon
Pyran system
Imperial standard time: M42-013-03-1

Logbook Commander Gotha Heimdall

For several weeks now there are rumours, according to which attacks on imperial outposts and cargo ships in the Gothic sector have been intensified.
According to some captains' reports these recent raids exceed the usually known pirate-attacks in terms of purposefulness and brutality.
The crew of the light freighter 'Space Mail IV' even confirms seeing two traitor-cruisers coming out of the warp.
(The analysis of the transmitted sensor data allow -due to excessive interferences- no precise conclusion.)
As the patrols of the Segmentum Obscurus' base fleet have not been able to find out something more accurate about these attacks, not to mention stopping them, the headquarters on Port Maw requested a special task force to clarify this potential threat.

Segmentum Solar
Subsector Armageddon
Pyran system
Imperial standard time: M42-013-03-8

The preparations for the use of my fleet in the Gothic sector take longer than I like.
According to the reports of my captains, it may last days or even weeks before the majority of the ships is ready to use.
Currently only the Armageddon-class battlecruiser 'Defiance', which I will use temporary as my flagship, as well as the 'Crusader' a Gothic-class cruiser and the
'Brutus' dagger' a light cruiser of the Dauntless-class, and finally the two, just with torpedo launchers upgraded, Dauntless-class light cruisers 'Divine Punishment' and 'Iron Victory' report full operational capability.
Nevertheless, as this mission will tolerate no further delay, we will start for the Gothic sector tonight.
First place of action will be the Bhein Morr subsector where most of the reported attacks took place.

Addendum:
I just received the message that the installation of improved sensors in my Cobra-class destroyers succeeded faster than expected. The three 'Fire Dancers' are thus also ready for combat.

Segmentum Obscurus
Subsektor 1-565/6/GS/NW - Bhein Morr
Stranivar system
Imperial standard time: M42-013-03-10

Now I am on Stranivar for two days.
With all my ships I took a stand on Stranivar Prime, the only industrial planet of this subsector.
Unfortunately the analysis of the here on-site available data allows also no statement about existence, strength and intention of a possible enemy of the Imperium.
Yet I by and by concede, that there might be more truth in these rumours about a traitor fleet gathering in this subsector than I originally believed.
But the rumours, according to which the Elysium system has now sworn allegiance to a Khorn champion named Evil Mic, I can and will not believe.
Even the thought of it is against all I've ever believed in as an officer of the Imperial fleet.
The first I will do tomorrow is to show up there with all my ships at hand and put an end to this blasphemy!

The sensors of one of the monitoring stations report non-identified warpsignatures near Stranivar IX.
Order to all ships: Clear decks for action! Deploy and find whatever has entered the system!

Battle-log Commander Gotha Heimdall

Ship time: 23:26

The 'Crusader' reported sighting of an unidentified vessel in the orbit of Stranivar IX.
It does not respond to calls.
Instead it's on target for interception.
It opens fire!
Identification of the enemy ship is now possible and confirmed. It is the 'Abyss',
a heavy traitor cruiser of the Acheron-class.

Ship time: 23:31

The 'Crusader' returns fire.
Direct torpedo-hit on the enemy ship's port batteries.
Shields of the 'Crusader' collaps under enemy fire.
Severe damage on all decks!
The 'Crusader' leaves weapon-range of the 'Abyss'.

Ship time: 23:39

Three new Warpsignatures on the edge of the system located.
Sensors report arrival of another ship.
Identification possible and confirmed: 'Plaguebringer', traitorcruiser of the Devastation-class.
According to unconfirmed sensor data the 'Plaguebringer' has send out a wave of attack-bombers.

Ship time: 23:47

Arrival of the 'Iron Victory'. She takes position aft of the 'Crusader' and starts her attack-run on the 'Abyss'.

Ship time: 23:51

Finally I arrive at the battle with the 'Defiance' and the 'Fire Dancers'.
We tack at the prow of the 'Plaguebringer'. Firing with all cannons.
Shields of the enemy ship cannot withstand our concentrated fire.
Score multiple hits and cause massive damage to the enemy ship.
Weapon-control station registers destruction of the enemy's main engines and shield generators.

Ship time: 23:58

Bomber squadrons attack the 'Fire Dancers'.
Defence towers of the 'Fire Dancer II' succeed in completely destroying all attackers.
But 'Fire Dancer I and III'  had no chance ...
The 'Plague Bringer' flees! Glory to the Emperor!

Ship time : 00:11

Arrival of the 'Divine Punishment'.
Arrival of the 'Brutus' Dagger'.
The last 'Fire Dancer' retreats .
Attack of the 'Iron Victory' on the 'Abyss' was ineffective.
The counterstrike of the traitor-cruiser penetrates the shields of the 'Iron Victory'.
Serious damage on decks 1-6 .

Ship time : 00:21

The 'Brutus' dagger' starts her attack run on the 'Abyss'.
She pulls ahead and passes the enemy ship!
The 'Brutus' dagger' opens fire on the 'Iron Victory'.
(May the Emperor smash those heretical turn-cloaks!!!)

Ship time : 00:39

The combined attacks of the 'Iron Victory', the 'Divine Punishment' and the 'Crusader' on the 'Brutus' Dagger' wreaks devastating havoc including the destruction of her shield generator.
She flees into the Warp.
(How could it be, that those traitors always escape with their lives? Isn't there any justice?)

Ship time : 00:46

Sighting of another ship.
Identification is possible and confirmed. It's the 'Nightmare'! A repulsive-class traitor-grand-cruiser.
(By the Emperor, Evil Mic's flagship! So it is true!)

She approaches with tremendous speed.
Her fire hits the 'Iron Victory' completely unexpected.
Destruction of her main generator.
Failure of the life support systems ...

Ship time: 01:03

Now I come into the weapons' range for the 'Abyss'.
The traitor ship's shields collapse under our fire.
Score multiple hits and cause serious damage to her stern.

Ship time: 01:07

Both enemy ships open fire on the 'Crusader'.
Multiple hits. However, the life support systems remain operative.
Order to the 'Crusader': "Retreat! You cannot help us here any more!"
The wreck of the 'Iron Victory' is floating into an asteroid field. She is now completely destroyed.
(The fallen shall be forever remembered, as the Emperor's finest!)

Ship time 01:14

Open fire on the 'Nightmare'.
Her shields cannot withstand the attack.
Causing serious damage on the enemy ship.
Failure of the enemies engines.
(I should send a thank note to the trainers of my weapon-control officers.)

Both enemy ships flee.

Segmentum Obscurus
Subsector 1-565/6/GS/NW - Bhein Morr
Stranivar system
Imperial Standard Time : M42 -013-03-11

Logbook commander Gotha Heimdall

Even if we managed to drive these heretics away from the Stranivar system, I cannot take this as a victory. Too many good soldiers suffered death today. And as if Evil Mic's presence here was not enough, the military clout of his fleet is a distinct indication, that he already gaind ground in this subsector, according to the new data of our intelligence truly in the Elysium system. As hard as admitting this is to me, I have to concede, that it is under these circumstances now impossible to take stand on Stranivar prime anymore. If Evil Mic starts another attack in near future, I would not have the strength to fend him off.
Therefore I draw back all my vessels to the safeness of open space to plan there the further course of action. My thoughts are with the people of Stranivar Prime.
May the Emperor bless them.

Segmentum Obscurus
Rally-point Alpha
Imperial Standard Time : M42 -013-03-13

According to the few pieces of information my intelligence could provide me here, it took less than two days until Evil Mic's ships reappeared in the orbit of Stranivar Prime.
The received messages are getting from bad to worse. It seems that Stranivar prime surrendered to the Khorne champion. They better had died as to serve this heretic! To make matters worse he can now use the local shipyards.
According to the latest reports, the reparation works on the 'Abyss' have already begun. Furthermore I'm afraid the news about this battle and my ensuing retreat will soon spread out through the whole subsector. This will just increase the fear of this Khorne champion.
If the rumours are true, the 'Blight' a long lost Devastation-class cruiser was seen joining his fleet. Yet we received at least one piece of good news: Our intelligence has discovered, that Evil Mic has left Stranivar prime with the 'Nightmare' the 'Brutus' Dagger' and the 'Pleaguebringer'. It is suggested he is withdrawing them for repairs back to the abyss were he was creeping from. Tomorrow the 'Firedancer' and the 'Crusader' will be ready to depart for Port Maw to be restored in the shipyards there.
Regrettably it is not possible for them to provide me with a new Dauntless-class cruiser.

Offline Atlan

Re: The Bhein Morr Campaign. (Battlereps + campaign storry)
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 10:56:07 PM »
Chapter II

Segmentum Obscurus
Rally-point Alpha
Imperial standard time: 42-013-03-23

Nearly two weeks have passed since my withdrawal from Stranivar.
At first it seemed as if the remaining Chaos forces in the Stranivar system face greater difficulties than initially expected.
There were forming resistance groups, still loyal to the emperor, in many places doing everything they could to detract main institutions from the control of the invaders. Unfortunately the hopelessness of these actions became obvious. According to the information we could get here it seemed that as soon as there was even the slightest rumour about rebellion, the bomber squadrons of the 'Blight' appeared.
I pray, that the phrase 'Whole districts have been burned to ashes' is just an exaggeration.

Segmentum Obscurus
Rally-point Alpha
Imperial standard time: 42-013-03-25

I have come to the conclusion that a reliberation of the Stranivar system has to be attempted as long as Evil Mic and the largest part of his fleet is still outside this subsector. This attack has also to be done before the 'Abyss' is fully operational again.
Two hours before our scheduled departure the badly damaged 'Fartravel IX' arrived here bringing bad news:
Her mission was to evacuate the hidden research station on the 3rd moon of Stranivar VII. When she arrived in the Stranivar system the 'Blight' and the 'Abyss' were still in the orbit of Stranivar prime, what would have given her enough time to complete her mission. However, once she entered the orbit of Stranivar VII she recorded two vessels coming from the 4th moon, accelerating onto her. According to her sensors' data they seemed to be Inferno-class traitor cruisers. The 'Fartravel IX' could escape this attack heavily damaged. As the enemy apparently now has two additional cruisers at his disposal, I have no other choice than breaking off the attack and wait for reinforcements.

Segmentum Obscurus
Rally-point Alpha
Imperial standard time: 42-013-04-19

Although it was very quietly during the last days is it just a matter of time until the enemy continues his nefarious attacks. Five days ago the time has come. We received reports of raids on imperial convoys from all over the subsector. The attackers were mostly the apparently repaired 'Abyss', accompanied by two Infidel-class raiders who call themselves the 'Shades'. Despite the fact that we were patrolling the main routes without a break, we were barely able to stop the raids. Once the enemy ships noticed our presence in a convoy they broke off the attack and looked for other targets. The sub-sector is simply too large.
However, we noticed a heavy traffic of cargo ships between Stranivar prime and the Elysium central world.
I decided to turn the tables. Indeed we only succeeded once to destroy a single cargo vessel, but these raids forced the traitors to dedicate ships to protect their own transports, so that the raids on imperial convoys were significantly reduced. Even though I now feel like an ordinary pirate, the success confirms the need for this strategy.

Segmentum Obscurus
Rally-point Alpha
Imperial standard time: 42-013-04-29

Praise the Emperor! Reinforcements have arrived!
Because of the increasing Ork activities in the Armageddon subsector it came to material shortages. Thus full operational readiness could still not be restored on all vessels of my fleet. Only the Armageddon-class battlecruiser 'Resistance', the Gothic-class cruiser 'Hunter' and an additional Dauntless-class light cruiser, the 'Colossus' arrived here. As the arrival of the Emperor-class battleship 'Intolerance' is to be expected during the next two days, I am finally in command of the largest part of my fleet and thus have the necessary power to defeat those traitors in open battle. Especially as there is still no sign of Evil Mic's return.
Yet there is not only good news: We were able to arrest one of the enemy's cargo ships. So we found out, that the transporters bring the equipment for the construction of orbital defences to Stranivar prime. Allegedly two orbital weapons platforms have already been completed. Therefore I cannot waste much time. I have to attack immediately as soon as the 'Intolerance' arrives.

Segmentum Obscurus
Rally-point Alpha
Imperial Standard time: 42-013-05-01

The 'Intolerance' has arrived. There isn't any more impressive sight in the galaxy than the strength and majesty of an imperial battleship! Nevertheless, I decided to keep the 'Defiance' as my flagship since I expect greater benefit of her higher mobility. Together with the 'Intolerance' six troop carriers containing a full invasion company arrived. The orders of the supreme command on Armageddon say:

"- Disembark the ground forces on Stranivar prime as quickly as possible.
-Secure the planet until the ultimate victory of the ground forces."

With that, the spread of heretical ideas shall be prevented at any rate. I agree entirely, but would have preferred orders, which allow more circumspect actions than a frontal attack. Well, be that as it is. Tomorrow night we start the assault on Stranivar prime. May the Emperor guide us!

Segmentum Obscurus
Rally-point Alpha
Imperial standard time: 42-013-05-02

Ship time: 22:00

Exit from the Warp behind an asteroid field near Stranivar prime.
We locate several vessels in formation ready for combat directly above the planet.
(More detailed data is not available at the moment, because of the asteroid field.)
So they have expected us!
"All hands to battle stations!
Shields to maximum!
'Intolerance' send out your fighters!
Head for the asteroid field!"

Ship time: 22:12

We record multiple new signals coming from the planet.
The enemy launched his bomber squadrons.
So they already detected us.
The enemy vessels keep their position above the planet.
We approach covered by the asteroid field.
The 'Intolerance' launches additional fighters.
The enemy bomber formations are approaching at full speed.

Ship time: 22:31

We arrived at the asteroid field.
Enemy bomber formations arrived at the opposite side of the Asteroid field.
Despite the continuous launches of the 'Intolerance' our fighters are outnumbered at a ratio of 2:3.

Ship time: 22:43

Five enemy bomber-squadrons could avoid our fighters.
To the whole fleet: "close formation!Prepare for incoming fighters!"
Enemies within range of the defensive towers in : 5 .4 .3 .2 .. FIRE!
The majority of the attackers could be destroyed.
Remaining bombers attack our port side!
Several cracks in the outer shell!
Drop of the engine's power to 75%!
Firepower and shields doped to the half!
Complete failure of the portside guns!
"Repair teams to decks 14-19!"

Ship time: 22:51

To the whole fleet: "Head directly to the moon!
'Divine Punishment',  begin your transposition manoeuvre and catch up with the fleet in front of the moon.
Our fighters could intercept and and completely annihilate the next enemy squadrons.
Port-side guns can now fire with half firepower.
Number of enemy launches drops to 33%. The heretics run out of fighters!
Praise the Emperor for these heretics always are running out of Attack Craft!

Ship time: 23:11

We're leaving the cover of the asteroid field.
Now we have direct visual contact with the enemy. Identification of enemy ships is now possible.
As expected, there are the 'Abyss', the 'Blight', the two 'Shades' and the two Inferno-class cruisers, which the 'Fartravel IX' has reported of.
These can be identified as the 'Calamity' and the 'Perdition'.
Yet, behind the two orbital weapons platforms is another vessel...May the Emperor protect us!
It is one of the ancient Despoiler-class battleships!
Whatever proud name this ship once had, since she came from the abyss in which she has crept she now seems to be called 'Melody of Despair'. This also explains the large number of fighters the enemy initially had.
We were able to intercept the last bomber squadrons before they reached us.
The remaining enemy fighters, which now are launched only by the 'Blight' take up defensive position around the traitor fleet.
Now our turn has come.
To all formations: "Start your attack-run!"

Ship time : 23:27

The fleet is still heading towards the moon.
The enemy opens fire at our bomber formations.
Our first echelon was completely destroyed.

Ship time: 23:44

The next bomber formations reach the enemy's defence perimeter. They also suffer heavy losses. The surviving squadrons were destroyed by the 'Blight's' interceptors.
"This is the 'Intolerance's' first officer, we had an accident in the hangars and will not be able to launch further squadrons that quickly."
" 'Intolerance!', that is unacceptable. We must continue the bomber assaults. That's an order!"
" 'Intolerance' here, problem is fixed, Commander. Further launches according the standard procedure."

Ship time: 00:05

Sensor-station reports the 'Blight' is now closing her hangar gates, too.
Obviously the 'Blight' has also run out of fighters.
The enemy fleet leaves it's position above Stranivar prime and is heading for the moon's orbit.

Ship time : 00:13

The 'Divine Punishment' closes the gap on the fleet.
We arrive at the backside of the moon.
We make use of it's gravity field to pivot on a direct vector towards Stranivar prime.
To all: "The primary task is to protect the troop transports until they have safely reached the planet's surface!"

Some of our bomber squadrons reached the enemy fleet and avoided their interceptors.
They start bombing one of the 'Shades'. Their defensive gunnery was ineffective. Direct hit on the raider's engines.
"This is the leader of the squadron Epsilon-5, report the total annihilation of the target."
The second 'Shade' flees into the Warp.
Praise the Emperor!

Ship time : 00:27

Enemy fleet is on course anti-parallel to ours. So, now it begins.
The 'Resistance', the 'Hunter' and the 'Divine Punishment' launch their torpedo salvoes.
"NO! That's too soon! Hold your fire!"
The distance was still too big. The salvoes cross the course of the traitor-ships behind them.
As soon as this day is over, I will degrade the gunnery officers of these ships and court-martial them.

We measure an increased energy output on the enemy targeting systems.
Enemy ships open fire!
First hits on the 'Colossus'. Her shield collapses.
"This is the captain of the 'Colossus': Brace for impact!"
No further damage on 'Colossus' reported.

The 'Hunter' is hit by the 'Calamity's' full broadside.
Shields are penetrated!
Starboard powersupply is hit.
There's fire on deck 13 an decks 22-24!
The lances of the 'Abyss' hit the 'Hunter', too.
Devastating damages on all decks!
"This is the captain of the 'Hunter', we're not able to extinguish the fires. Solicit permission to retreat!"
"This is the captain of the 'Divine Punishment'. We're coming under the 'Melody of Despair's' fire! Our shields collapse! Cannot shut our safety bulkheads. Suffering severe damage to the entire bow area! Urgently solicit support! The ship can't stand this any longer!"

Ship time : 00:45

"This is the 'Intolerance', we have overloaded the acceleration fields, it will take at least some minutes till further launches will be possible."
" 'Intolerance', registered. Take position in front of the 'Divine Punishment' to relieve her."
" 'Hunter', permission granted! Get out of here!"
"To all: Return fire! Send them into the abyss!"

The bombardment of the 'Intolerance' smashed the 'Blight's' shields".
Register energy increase in the 'Blight's' fortifying fields.
All ships concentrate their fire on the 'Blight'. Multiple hits on all sections of the traitor cruiser. Yet the damage we caused is minimal.
What dark spell protects this cursed ship?

Ship time : 01:07

The enemy concentrated his fire on the 'Divine Punishment'.
The 'Intolerance' catches some part of the bombardment.
Shields of the 'Intolerance' stable at 25%.
Shield of the 'Divine Punishment' collapses. She sustains more damage. Structural failure is imminent.
The 'Melody of Despair's' hangar gates open!
So she still has some squadrons left!
A big formation of assault boats is heading for the 'Divine Punishment'!
"This is the captain of the 'Divine Punishment'. To the entire crew:
Prepare for close combat! May the Emperor protect us!"
Incoming transmission: "BLOOD FOR THE BLOODGOOD!"

Ship time: 01:14

"This is the 'Devine Punishment': The intruders were defeated, but they succeeded in disabling our starboard weapons. The estimated time for the repair is several hours.
The hull still holds and the life support systems are also working. But we will not endure another blow.
"Registered. Get out of here!"

The enemy vessels have almost passed our line.
In a few moments they will reach a position to strafe the transporters.
We do not have the strength to protect them.

"This is the commander. To all ships: Break off the attack! Retreat! Get out of here!"

Segmentum Obscurus
Rally-point Alpha
Imperial Standard time:42-013-05-02

Our attack has failed.
At least the retreat of all my ships and the transporters to the rally-point went well. As still no enemy ship appeared here, I assume they were unable to trace our course and we remain still relatively save here.
The conditions of the 'Divine Punishment' and the 'Hunter' are grave, but I have no other choice than to hope that they regardless of my doubts will survive the journey to Port Maw. Only the shipyards there are capable of repairing them. Even if the damages on the 'Defiance' are significantly less, she has to be returned to Port Maw, because here we have no possibilities for a thorough restoration. Additionally, they will provide me a new ship!
These accursed heretics will begin the repairs on the 'Blight' on Stranivar prime for sure. In addition, I am afraid that the shipyards there are now capable of the construction of raiders. So the destroyed 'Shade' will be replaced soon.

Segmentum Obscurus
Rally-point Alpha
Imperial Standard time:42-013-05-03

Our probes have caught a transmission in which Evil Mic, who now calls himself an "Exaltet Chaos Champion",  promotes the officers of the 'Calamity' to an  elite command crew and promises to return soon to Stranivar prime with an additional ship.
After some considerations I decided to set out for Port Maw with the 'Defiance' myself.
Now, that the heretics have the 'Melody of Despair', a fully operational battleship, it is no longer a hunt for a megalomaniacal pirate but a serious threat to imperial systems. I will personally convince the Admiralty at Port Maw that this exceeds the field of application of an external task force and is issue of the Segmentum Obscurus' basis fleet. In the time of my absence I transfer the command to the captain of the 'Intolerance'.