September 11, 2024, 08:16:32 AM

Author Topic: Chaos capital ships and WYSIWYG  (Read 2240 times)

Offline carlisimo

Chaos capital ships and WYSIWYG
« on: April 27, 2015, 08:28:59 PM »
After a few years of hiatus I've been getting into BFG again.  I wasn't able to get my friends to start so I was building two or three separate fleets, but I couldn't motivate myself to finish them on my own.  Now I'm trying again and I have a couple of Chaos cruisers and a Desolator to assemble.

This time around, the WYSIWYG issues have been bugging me more.  Why am I putting six lance turrets on each side of the Desolator instead of four?  Should I have built my Slaughter with a WB deck and plugged lance turrets into the open bays?  Or should I replace its antennae with lances and call it an Acheron?  (Instead of building the Acheron with four lance turrets on each side, in the open bays - which looks great, imo, but doesn't fit the stats.) 

Oh, and the Devastations - like the Slaughter, I don't think they'd look good with two lance turrets in open bays next to the launch or WB bays, but it'd make more sense.  Who designed these things?  Surely someone noticed it was a little odd during design, and not too difficult to solve.

Does everyone build them the way they're illustrated in the rules?  I probably will; they do look good.

Offline radu lykan

• Loc: northants, uk
Re: Chaos capital ships and WYSIWYG
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 01:54:29 PM »
this is how i decided to sort it, excuse anybits that dont make sense, copy/paste from a blog

well managed some work on the chaos fleet, some of the ships might not look like the pictures in the book but thats so i can see what a ship can do just by looking at it, each different lance corresponds to a certain range and there is a lance turret for each point of strength, made the hecate a bit fiddly adding 2 turrets to the prow but i like it. not looking forward to adding a squadron of murders later on though.

made a chaos light cruiser just to see how it looked, after a bit of cutting and drilling i ended up with a schismatic class light cruiser

also went for an emasculator, if horus lets me this will be a character ship with chaos lord with mark of slaanesh and a couple of chaos refits which the chains represent

following on from slaanesh i went for a nurgle marked carnage, this will have a  plague bell added as well as a load of green stuff to rot it up a bit

as with our imperial fleet we will allow just about anything from the additional ships compedium and book of nemesis etc so i made a hecate

so so far i have made a styx, 3 devestations, 3 carnages, a hecate, an emasculator, a shismatic and an acheron

as you can see, i went with the not sticking to the rulebook pics, much easier to see what a ship can do for me as well as easier for new players

Offline carlisimo

Re: Chaos capital ships and WYSIWYG
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 09:22:45 AM »
I like them! I think the Devastations look the best out of the WYSIWYG ships; the launch bays transition to the lance turrets better than the Slaughter's weapon batteries. The Acheron looks fine, of course, but I've always had a thing for the rulebook version.  More menacing.

I love the little conversions.