August 12, 2024, 06:22:18 AM

Author Topic: Slaaneshi rule question from 2010 FAQ  (Read 1687 times)

Offline unseelied

• Loc: Levittown, PA 19057 USA
Slaaneshi rule question from 2010 FAQ
« on: June 13, 2013, 11:34:34 AM »
So I was using the slaaneshi fleet from the 2010 FAQ.  I got a mark of slaanesh on a daemonship and I added the forces of chao: sirens summons upgrade to the ship.  Now in my mind the sirens summons is an advanced form of the mark.  Instead of giving a ld modifier to ships within 15cm it doesn't allow them to use a leadership check at all.  It works in such a similar fashion, even fluffwise, that I assumed that it worked the same way in all respects.  When the daemonship is on the board, haunting we will say, but not yet materialized the Mark works giving ship within 15cm a leadership penalty.  Its the only thing that it can do to effect the board at this time.  Does the Siren Summons also effect the board while the ship is haunting and not material, basicly stopping ships from taking any leadership checks within 15cm?  What do people think?

Offline Sigoroth

Re: Slaaneshi rule question from 2010 FAQ
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 03:39:25 PM »
RAW; maybe. Intent; yes. Balance; no.

That is to say, the Siren's Summon is not a Mark of Chaos, it is an ability available to ships in a Slaaneshi fleet that already have the mark. Given that Marks of Chaos are specifically allowed to function while spectral the implication is that things not specifically mentioned don't function. This isn't necessarily the case though, as the Siren's Summon doesn't appear amongst the list of specifically prohibited options either. So we don't know if all things bar the listed exceptions are allowed or all things bar the listed exceptions are disallowed.

I would say that the mechanic which allows the function of the Mark of Slaanesh would work equally for the Siren's Summon. Therefore I find it harder to justify an argument for the "whatever is not specifically mentioned is disallowed" stance.

In terms of balance though, I think this is a bit strong. No BFI, no RO, no LO, no asteroid/warp rift navigation test ...

In short, there's nothing to say you couldn't use it to full effect on a daemonship.

Offline AndrewChristlieb

Re: Slaaneshi rule question from 2010 FAQ
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 03:51:05 PM »
I agree, its powerful but I dont see any reason it shouldn't work.
I don't make the rules, I just think them up and write them down.