October 17, 2024, 03:14:44 AM

Author Topic: Space ship miniatures for miniature line.  (Read 7247 times)

Offline Malika

• Loc: Netherlands
    • Bits Blitz
Re: Space ship miniatures for miniature line.
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2015, 09:07:07 PM »
You finally did it! Awesome!

My main concern at the moment is the ship's lack of detail, making the model look as if it's more meant for 6mm scale or even as some sort of drone/aircraft for 28mm scaled games.
Bits Blitz - the place to be for all your bits needs!

Offline Blindhorizon

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2015, 08:12:58 AM »
What recommendations would you make to make it look more to scale?

Offline Malika

• Loc: Netherlands
    • Bits Blitz
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2015, 04:55:40 PM »
Tricky thing is that you're supposed to make the models look as if they are gigantic. The way GW has done that for their ship designs is to cover them in all sorts of tiny details, with only the largest of weapons visible.

You basically need to add tons of details throughout the models, the red part in the middle of your ship would for example be an interesting spot to add more details, as would the bottom of the craft be. I mean, take a look at the Eldar Void Stalker, it has certain parts which are flat (mainly the prow), but the rest is all covered in detailing. That way the ship looks truly vast, it looks like a gigantic craft.
Bits Blitz - the place to be for all your bits needs!

Offline horizon

• Mod
  • Veteran member
  • Destiny Infinity Eternity
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2015, 05:57:34 PM »
Actually...

If it are models for a new game then the issue of scale is non-existent as in a new game all things can be designed from point zero.
So these ships do not need to be gigantic and look as such simply because this game is in a diferent scale.

Ofcourse with all we know we somehow expect these ships to be in a sense of scale with BFG, FSA, Full Thrust or on the other end with X-Wing.
And when you want to have those people as customers as well then bringing them in scale is more wanted.

As you designed the vessel now, which I like but it seems a tad bulkier then on your sketches, it is closer to the FSA audience then the BFG audience.
Large flat areas is something free hand painters like as well. :)

Offline Blindhorizon

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2015, 08:11:19 PM »
I agree I think if it was shrunk 5% it wouldn't feel so big next to other miniatures. The option to use bits in converting this thing opens a lot of possibilities, I think the turrets give away the actual scale of the model pretty good though.